Speculation: EK next offseason

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The highest NHL salaries are currently just shy of $14M. So if there's an unprecedented free agent frenzy they totally resets the market, it should be significantly above that high water mark.

It might not reach $18M, but if several teams are bidding, I'd be very surprised if it's less than $16M.

You'd need the cap to increase by $11M in one year for $18M to be possible...

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
If... IF EK gets to free agency it’ll be the first time since you know who signed elsewhere that we'll have a chance at a premier FA.

He wants to win obviously, and despite the ‘impossible’ notion that some are again repeating, I do think Detroit is appealing to him. We won’t be basement dwelling team with him. We’ll have acquired another top five pick too. We’ll have a good future. New arena and complete opposite culture of Ottawa (whom I feel bad for). Stable ownership dedicated to winning and a successful past. And will be successful again. Possibly Stevie Y coming back too.

Some good stuff, imo.

That said, I actually think he resigns in SJ. The problem is with them is that their future looks bleak. Empty pool of prospects and their stars are aging. Their window is basically these next two years. But he could sign a monster contract for three years, as odd as they may sound

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You didn’t answer my question. I’m not Erik Karlsson, I don’t know why would he. I was wondering if there are reports saying he won’t sign an extension....
San Jose is going to have ~$25 million to fill a dozen or so players on their roster -if I'm not mistaken- unless EK is willing to take a peanuts contract it's a foregone conclusion he's going to be a UFA

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
San Jose is going to have ~$25 million to fill a dozen or so players on their roster -if I'm not mistaken- unless EK is willing to take a peanuts contract it's a foregone conclusion he's going to be a UFA

I’d SJ only has that much I don’t see him resigning unless SJ unloads players

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The reality is, we are not going to be a destination for UFA’s until we have something resembling Toronto’s core. We are a few years out from that. Which is all the same, we need to take the time and restock.
A lot can happen in 1 year. I’m not saying we’d be the frontrunner, but we could be in the mix.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't really see him coming here unless Zadina/Rasmussen are like 30 plus goal scorers with rookie of the year contention between the two or something. A lot needs to work out for the Red Wings imo to be considered seriously in the hunt for Karlsson. Unless he just straight up loves the Red Wings/ Detroit which I've never heard in my life about him.

Other teams have better cores with more talent. I mean the Jets should be considered a landing spot for him it's about money/winning.

I think he'll resign in SJ and live that good life out in Cali/Silicon valley. Be competitive for awhile/maybe win a cup and make tons of money with a long-term deal/future in Cali. Great move by the San Jose organization imo to bring him in. Any contending team should of made the move they did if they're serious about winning a Stanley cup.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I’d SJ only has that much I don’t see him resigning unless SJ unloads players

Little misleading since 6 are RFA's, and if all are brought in for less that 1.5, that leaves quite a bit still to resign Karlsson, and possibly bring back both Thornton/Clouture on 1 year deals for a cup run. (If they don't win it this year.)

Depends too on what Karlsson ask for if he wants to be the highest paid player in the league then yeah SJ is going to have trouble and will need to dump someone, but if he wants 10-12 million for a lengthy period I think SJ can handle that.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
He wants to win obviously, and despite the ‘impossible’ notion that some are again repeating, I do think Detroit is appealing to him.

The second phrase, said after the first, is laughable. Why would he conceivably want to possibly/maybe win in 5 years if the draft picks pan out, while twiddling his thumbs on yet another mediocre team in the meantime, when he could get paid just as much by a team that's actually competitive and is actually putting a quality product on the ice, now and probably still choose his next destination in 5 years?

Sounds like the Stamkos pipe dreams, and probably just as likely to end up in a refusal to even take our calls. There's no reason in the world that any premier FA even considers the Wings at this point, that doesn't start with them offering several million dollars more, per year, than anyone else does.

But hey, dream big. If you simulate enough seasons, eventually anything can happen.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I don't really see him coming here unless Zadina/Rasmussen are like 30 plus goal scorers with rookie of the year contention between the two or something. A lot needs to work out for the Red Wings imo to be considered seriously in the hunt for Karlsson. Unless he just straight up loves the Red Wings/ Detroit which I've never heard in my life about him.

Other teams have better cores with more talent. I mean the Jets should be considered a landing spot for him it's about money/winning.

I think he'll resign in SJ and live that good life out in Cali/Silicon valley. Be competitive for awhile/maybe win a cup and make tons of money with a long-term deal/future in Cali. Great move by the San Jose organization imo to bring him in. Any contending team should of made the move they did if they're serious about winning a Stanley cup.

Not sure the Jets could afford him assuming they keep Trouba. Morrisey will be getting a substantial raise this season. Next season they need to sign Trouba, Laine, Connor, and replace/resign Tyler Meyers

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trade AA+pick(s)+prospects+depth player...and get a youngish #2. If the ankle injury never happened, I'd agree with you. EK went from +10 in 77gp to -25 in 71 gms...some of that or maybe a lot of that is on EK. The only real loss to OTT was Kyle Turris this past season iirc. Mobility for a Dman, especially EK who relies on his edgework/skating is huge. It's too high risk vs. reward. If we were a cup contender, then yeah try to go for it now a la SJ, then sell & restock the system or retool on the fly.

Umm no they lost Methot, Macarthur, Turris, Phaneuf and Brassard. Not only did he come off an enormous injury there were internal problems with Hoffman. EK was fine his last 32 games he scored 35 points and his skating was coming back close to 100 percent. If he hits free agency he likely gets 14 million per. He is way better than you are giving him credit for.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Anyone putting even a single egg in the EK basket doesn't remember the Suter basket.

And Suter wasted his entire career playing for a bad team. If he signed in Detroit he likely wins a Cup and a few Norris trophies. Should be a lesson learned for everybody.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He wants to win obviously, and despite the ‘impossible’ notion that some are again repeating, I do think Detroit is appealing to him. We won’t be basement dwelling team with him. We’ll have acquired another top five pick too. We’ll have a good future. New arena and complete opposite culture of Ottawa (whom I feel bad for). Stable ownership dedicated to winning and a successful past. And will be successful again. Possibly Stevie Y coming back too.

Yeah I agree. With another very high pick this year, add Karlsson to that and our rebuild is 90% complete.

With DeKeyser, Hronek, and Cholowski filling out the top 4, that could be a very good D within the next 2-3 years. And hopefully having DeKeyser as a #4 playing behing 3 better dmen will elevate his play as well.

Zadina-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Rasmussen-2019 1st rd pick (top 5)

Cholowski-Karlsson
DK-Hronek

Suddenly the top 6/4 looks rock solid going forward. And that's not even mentioning Berggren, Veleno, McIsaac, etc.

As far as Karlsson's possible interest in Detroit, I see 3 helpful things.
1. After the dumpster fire in Ottawa, I imagine Detroit's stable environment and treatment of their players will be very attractive.
2. We'll have tons of cap space.
3. Karlsson would be the leader of a young, up and coming team.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Babcock was the reason behind that. Different coach, we get Suter and Parise.
Suter and Parise weren't signing in Detroit, regardless of coach. They both wanted to go home to play in Minnesota.

Wild Day: Parise, Suter headed to Minnesota

Parise, who is from Minneapolis, said he recruited his good friend Suter to join him in Minnesota.

"We kept in touch throughout this whole thing and we decided that we thought for both of us that the best fit would be Minnesota," Parise said in a conference call. "We're excited that it worked out and we get a chance to play with each other.

"My parents were so excited when they knew that I was considering coming back home. When I made the decision they were real excited as well. That played a big part. I grew up here, I love coming back here in the summers, and I thought, 'We enjoy it here so much it would be great to be here year round.'"

And it's a relative homecoming for Suter, who is from Wisconsin, as well.

"It came down to where I felt my family would like to live," Suter said. "My wife's from Bloomington, Minn. That had a lot to do with it. ... Minnesota has a lot of good young players that I think will help make this team successful."

Parise, Suter sign with Minnesota Wild

Suter said in a conference call on Wednesday that he and Parise made the decision together to come to Minnesota.

"We were in contact, texting back and forth asking about different places and situations where we could both work," Suter says. "Probably last night into this morning it kind of became realistic."

Suter has spent his first seven years in the NHL with the Nashville Predators. The All-Star defenseman had career highs in points last year, with 7 goals and 39 assists. Suter said Minnesota was the best choice for his family.

Parise, a Minneapolis native, said he had always wanted to play for the Wild.

"Every kid that's grown up in Minnesota would love to play for the Wild," Parise says. "That's the way it is. I was hoping to have the opportunity. And right now I'm lucky that we're able to make it happen."

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Umm no they lost Methot, Macarthur, Turris, Phaneuf and Brassard. Not only did he come off an enormous injury there were internal problems with Hoffman. EK was fine his last 32 games he scored 35 points and his skating was coming back close to 100 percent. If he hits free agency he likely gets 14 million per. He is way better than you are giving him credit for.

Like I said "the only real loss" was Turris.

Brassard & 7th for Mika Zib & 2nd, OTT probably lost that trade slightly, moreso b/c of the pick.

Turris...the only real loss, as stated

Phaneuf...#4b/5a Dman on true contender, old, way overpriced, slow, very injury prone...only 80gp 3x since 2011!

Methot-expansion draft SOL

MacArthur-

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Like I said "the only real loss" was Turris.

Brassard & 7th for Mika Zib & 2nd, OTT probably lost that trade slightly, moreso b/c of the pick.

Turris...the only real loss, as stated

Phaneuf...#4b/5a Dman on true contender, old, way overpriced, slow, very injury prone...only 80gp 3x since 2011!

Methot-expansion draft SOL

MacArthur-
Bad take on a team you dont know. Methot was a first pairing D man and Phaneuf logged 22 minutes a game. Mcarthur was a top 6 forward and they lost Brassard to Pittsburgh for futures. The only player that was actually replaced was Turris ironically.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

That's why Stamkos, Tavares and all the other top FAs have wanted to play for Detroit, even meeting with them... Oh wait! Stamkos and Tavares both at least met with Toronto and Tavares signed with them, which is more than Detroit can say. And who is the coach in Toronto? Mike Babcock?! Why that would run counter to Chelio's MOD talking. Its funny that the facts don't line up with this at all with his baseless speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: njx9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad