Proposal: Ehlers to Buffalo

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Sabres don’t need him. They have similar young players that they have to pay in a year like Quinn and Peterka. Plus they want Kulich to make the jump soon.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres don’t need him. They have similar young players that they have to pay in a year like Quinn and Peterka. Plus they want Kulich to make the jump soon.

You do if you boost your odds of making the playoffs. I don't see how Sabres are even 50/50 now. Maybe close.

Just a question of how much you pay for one year. They have already started putting their money in the pot for 2024-25 with a buyout of Skinner, trading Savoie for McLeod. Those moves are almost entirely about this year.

If you are already betting so much on trying to make it one year (yeah, it's mostly dumb), should you go all in? I would throw Rosen into that deal but not much more. We could sign someone to add depth for losing Jokiharju. Krebs is a crapshoot, but his window is narrowing.

Ehlers has a modified NTC so it the Sabres blow up again, you trade him at deadline for a late 1st likely and get some assets back.

The desperation to make the playoffs seems real. I wouldn't rule anything out.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I believe a realistic expectation for an unextended Ehlers would be:

A) 2025 1st round pick
+
B) Krebs or Jokiharju
+
C) a lesser prospect like Kisakov, Poltapov, or a 2nd round pick.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I believe a realistic expectation for an unextended Ehlers would be:

A) 2025 1st round pick
+
B) Krebs or Jokiharju
+
C) a lesser prospect like Kisakov, Poltapov, or a 2nd round pick.

That kind of return makes sense from a team that’s confident they’re making the playoffs. Buffalo’s 1st really shouldn’t be on the table unless we’re getting a player with term.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
That kind of return makes sense from a team that’s confident they’re making the playoffs. Buffalo’s 1st really shouldn’t be on the table unless we’re getting a player with term.
I agree to an extent but at the same time their prospect pool is very solid.

If you’re going to go for it, this is the type of deal i think it’ll take to get a good team like Winnipeg to deal Ehlers.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Toffoli in 22-23: 34 goals and 73 points.

Ehlers has career highs of 29 goals and 64 points.

And also makes 33% more money than toffoli did.
Again, I've had the pleasure of watching both of those guys on the same team last season.

To me (and I imagine Chevaldayoff) Ehlers >>> Toffoli, despite what your hockeydb scouting says

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Again, I've had the pleasure of watching both of those guys on the same team last season.

To me (and I imagine Chevaldayoff) Ehlers >>> Toffoli, despite what your hockeydb scouting says
Yep, and he makes 1.5 mill more to offset that. Lower your expectations on what a 60 point rental winger making 6 mill returns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad