Confirmed with Link: Egor Sokolov traded to Utah for Jan Jenik

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I was thinking maybe Imama replacement for Belleville.

I don't think so. Imama is a pure enforcer. He's not a guy that has any chance of ever playing in the NHL short of a cup of coffee here and there because of injuries.

Jenik is similar to Sokolov. He's a tweener who is good enough to be a star on an AHL team, but hasn't been able to translate that offense to the NHL.

I love players like Boko who are good personalities/hard workers and carve out solid pro careers because of it, but he's never going to be a regular NHLer. Players like Jenik and Sokolov at least have a chance to translate to the NHL. Our bottom 6 and more particular fourth line is wide open and we don't have much cap space remaining to work with. I think this is a player who they targeted as a possible bottom 6 NHL forward this year, not someone for Belleville.

Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think so. Imama is a pure enforcer. He's not a guy that has any chance of ever playing in the NHL short of a cup of coffee here and there because of injuries.

Jenik is similar to Sokolov. He's a tweener who is good enough to be a star on an AHL team, but hasn't been able to translate that offense to the NHL.

I love players like Boko who are good personalities/hard workers and carve out solid pro careers because of it, but he's never going to be a regular NHLer. Players like Jenik and Sokolov at least have a chance to translate to the NHL. Our bottom 6 and more particular fourth line is wide open and we don't have much cap space remaining to work with. I think this is a player who they targeted as a possible bottom 6 NHL forward this year, not someone for Belleville.
Gotcha. Thanks for the scouting report lol. I was assuming this was just a guy that had no shot and was more of a Belleville body addition that might get spot duty for a game or two in the NHL.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I see this as a lateral move at best?

But good for Sokolov to get a chance elsewhere? You would think his personality is exactly the type we want around our team though, even if it's just in the AHL.

I hope he makes it.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Have you revised your assessment criteria given Sokolov's failure to make it with our team? Not a dig, just genuinely curious given how much optimism you had for him.
Partially...I think the situation with Sokolov helped me see how difficult it is for prospects to adapt to new roles. There is a pathway to the NHL for many prospects but it may require them taking on a role that isn't so glamorous. I think a lot of prospects have a hard time accepting that and hold onto the role that they have grown accustomed to. That it can take them a long time to finally start dedicating themselves towards becoming a good role player and even then there is still a powerful part of them that drifts back to trying to become the player that they thought they were going to be.

I thought he was going to have to go through a kind of Nick Paul kind of adjustment after he struggled to make the jump in his first few seasons. I thought he could do it and still think he can do it but it seems to be a more difficult task than I initially thought. Paul started out and continued to develop as a strong defensive player who eventually excelled at battling for and protecting the puck.

I saw some similarities with Stone in Sokolov's game, but Stone was the stronger defensive player and had more grit and battle in his game. Sokolov can be a bit of an agitator but he doesn't do that consistently. He wasn't as effective at battling along the boards and digging pucks out of the corners. He wasn't as poised defensively.

I guess the major takeaway for me would be to stress the importance in defensive play/poise, consistency in battle/compete and the ability to take on less exciting roles and to be the "unsung hero" on a team when evaluating prospects. That it is a lot harder to get prospects to incorporate those elements into their game and their mentality if they aren't consistently and clearly exhibiting it.

Reactions: lang006 and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad