Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers defeat the LA Kings, 4-1

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Nobody believed Oilers fans when we complained about poor officiating that always seemed to go against us.

Now everybody is shocked when the Oilers actually get some favourable calls.

Inject the salt straight into my Oily veins.

TBH, the only reason why people complained about the referees is because the Oilers PP was letal and the the Kings was abysmal.

If both PP were around 20%, and the refs made exactly the same calls, the refereeing would had been considered "fair". But if you have a good PP, people think you should get fewer calls.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
K

Kings lost a lot of depth this year. This was by far the weakest kings team edm had faced and it showed. The PLD signing absolutely screwed them. And now they are stuck with him.
Kings made the PO without Fiala and PLD in 2022. Then decided to be aggressive and deal for Fiala and PLD in successive years, banking on squeezing the last few years out of Kopi and DD as well as hoping that the youngsters they had or coming up would take a step. Kind of stalled at this point.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
TBH, the only reason why people complained about the referees is because the Oilers PP was letal and the the Kings was abysmal.

If both PP were around 20%, and the refs made exactly the same calls, the refereeing would had been considered "fair". But if you have a good PP, people think you should get fewer calls.

The special teams battle should have been a lot closer based on their regular season ranks.

Edmonton PP 26.3%
LA PP 22.6%

Edmonton PK 79.5%
LA PK 84.6%

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

This- there was a massive discrepancy in special teams which made penalties feel like a huge factor in the series. Plus, the Kings only scored first once in the entire series (game 2), so they were constantly chasing the game. Every time they take a penalty, it feels like a massive setback to their chances of coming back.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
How do we keep getting lost Leaf fans ending up in this thread? It's a post series thread for LA and Edmonton. Is someone giving bad directions? @Czechboy I'm looking at you.
In fairness... Leaf fans posting about winning first rounds is always a good read. Or talking about star players not doing enough. Endless content.

Reactions: Summer Rose

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the penalty discrepancy needs context

Games 1 and 2 was fairly even (LA 0 for 5...Edmonton 4/7)

in Game 3....after 2 periods LA had 3 PPs to Edmonton's 2 PPs, despite being down 4-1....they clowned it up in the 3rd which resulted in a ton of penalties

Game 4 each got 1 PP...the difference being the Oilers scored while the Kings didn't

Game 5 LA was up 2-1 then had a PP right after with a chance to go up 3-1....didn't score on it then took some bad penalties
Fiala is a known diver...good call
PLD with a slewfoot...dumb dumb
Doughty saved a goal with his hook on Holloway....CLEAR penalty....Kings just couldn't kill a penalty (well, technically they did but the guy wasn't in the play yet)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Honestly on paper I don't see why.

The Kings just played too passive and they don't have a great goalie.

I will judge the Kings by how the Oilers do against the next opponents

How can you not see why?

They have no high end skill. They have no size. They have no goaltending. They play a passive, shitty system. Their “second line center” is a malcontent who forced his way off two teams already and scored 40 points this season.

They’re just not a good hockey team. They have some recognizable legacy names but so do the Penguins.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
How can you not see why?

They have no high end skill. They have no size. They have no goaltending. They play a passive, shitty system. Their “second line center” is a malcontent who forced his way off two teams already and scored 40 points this season.

They’re just not a good hockey team. They have some recognizable legacy names but so do the Penguins.
I like the kings and how they are built. I do wonder what next steps are though for next year. Feels like promising young guys and pretty old vets to me.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I like the kings and how they are built. I do wonder what next steps are though for next year. Feels like promising young guys and pretty old vets to me.
With such little cap space and a Byfield contract incoming, I expect Turcotte and Thomas and cheap youth to fill spaces vacated by ufa's.

Kings also need to find a way to get a legit tender.

Reactions: Czechboy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Im rather surprised by the zero effort and coasting from Dubois in the series. Even when he saw time with Fiala on his wing, the guy just looked uninterested in the competition. Now he's got his 3 month vacation starting so Im sure he's relieved.
Are Kings fans even surprised? Disappointed I'd assume

Jack Campbell is available ;)
Even I wouldn't make that joke a day after knocking out a team

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Kings were going to lose the series, no matter what,

You ask about Fiala and his "embellishment" yet same penalty was called against Moore, and no embellishment there? It was a garbage call against Fiala, he clearly got hooked, he clearly had his weight on his toes....and fell.

The PLD call was god awful garbage, that was a hit, there was no slewfoot at all he just bodied him, more about it was the non calls that were clear, not that LA would have done anything on the PP, but again, lose the game, sure, to lose it like that, is just wrong.
Now let's hear from someone who watched these plays.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Yeah. There are so many similarities with the paths Toronto has to take to make noise in the playoffs, and the paths Edmonton has been given.

The only times Edmonton has played someone of Boston/Tampa calibre, they have been absolutely owned. Let’s not forget that.
Kinda sounds like a cop out my friend. Let’s not forget losing to a few teams that were “beneath” the leafs as well.

LA is a solid team. Anyone discounting them as “the worst team in the playoffs” isn’t true. LA scared me coming in.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kings made the PO without Fiala and PLD in 2022. Then decided to be aggressive and deal for Fiala and PLD in successive years, banking on squeezing the last few years out of Kopi and DD as well as hoping that the youngsters they had or coming up would take a step. Kind of stalled at this point.
Ya that fiala for Faber plus a first trade was really reaching IMO but then again maybe Faber wasn't going to sign with the Kings I don't recall.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ya that fiala for Faber plus a first trade was really reaching IMO but then again maybe Faber wasn't going to sign with the Kings I don't recall.
I did hear rumblings of that. Kind of like the Fox situation. Nothing as clear as with Fox from what I can recall however. But LA still had time on their side.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah. There are so many similarities with the paths Toronto has to take to make noise in the playoffs, and the paths Edmonton has been given.

The only times Edmonton has played someone of Boston/Tampa calibre, they have been absolutely owned. Let’s not forget that.
When did Edmonton play someone of Boston or Tampa's caliber? The times we have lost in the playoffs the past two years, we have lost to the cup champions, not contenders, but champions. So remember that.

Also remember that it isn't a bad thing to have earned an easier matchup in the playoffs. If the Leafs wanted better matchups, they should try finishing 1st or 2nd in their division. Edmonton earned their right to an easier matchup by finishing higher in the standings. It's the same for every team, finish better in the regular season, get a better playoff matchup. The only team who didn't necessarily get that this year, is Dallas, as Vegas underperformed in the regular season and finished 8th.

Oilers fans sure seem to think every time an oiler falls, it's slewfoot. Can't possibly be anything else.
Not every time. Only when the opposition trips one of our guys in a back to front motion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad