Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers defeat the LA Kings, 4-1

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I was truly hoping the Oilers would not get the Kings the first round (not that I expected the Kings to win, but Vegas would have been so much more a satisfactory first round). While I am not discounting Vancouver (presumably - I don't see Nashville winning that one), I would truly love to see an Oilers/Avs or an Oilers/Knights matchup in round 3. The Kings were really like the garnish you see in a restaurant meal - it's there, but you just discard it as the purely aesthetic decoration it is. They really didn't have a chance in this series.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
LA wasn't going to win the series, but I absolute hate losing a game like last night, in that fashion. Absolute garbage calls, 6-1 on calls, with 4 of them on LA being absolute bullshit fantasy. I've officiated for 30 years, clearly never at that level, but I'd be absolutely shocked, if those two move on to the 2nd round, that was absolutely embarrassing
Cmon man. Which ones weren’t penalties? The stick slashed in half?

Some of the time, teams can’t get away with chippy hockey. Especially when down 2 in an elimination game.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
At the end of the day if they make it back to the Western Finals and lose I don't know how mad anyone can really get

This whole notion that a team is going to win a cup at some point just isn't reality.

The reality is if Connor/Leon think that going to another team is going to give them a better chance then they are sadly mistaken. What are the odds that if either leaves that they'll have another talent as impactful as the other? Unless of course they are willing to go to another team for a massive pay decrease
WOW.. not even 12 hours from our first round victory and you're already posting about Drai and McD taking discounts as UFA's in 2 and 3 years.

Also, Mack had some really good players around him when he won the cup. So did Eichel last year. So yes, it is possible for amazing players to be surrounded with other amazing players. Happens every year.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Punching someone in the face isn’t worthy of a roughing penalty?

There’s a reason draisaitl was grabbing his face

Dude he grabbed his face all series long.....he did play a helluva series, but that wasn't a penalty, simple as that, not at THAT level of hockey, not at THAT standard that they set....

That's the problem, when you set that standard, so they call that penalty, it's a shit call, but sure...that's the standard they set, then every penalty like that, they let go.....Moore gets tackled going to the net int he 3rd, no call. Arvidsson gets tackled like that, no call....

Which again, is why the officiating the entire series was just horseshit,

You guys think I am taking away from the Oilers by pointing it out, I'm not they were going to win regardless of the shit calls or not, I'm saying to lose that game on shit calls is more of a kicker because even though they were going to lose regardless, the chance to even be in the game was rendered moot.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
WOW.. not even 12 hours from our first round victory and you're already posting about Drai and McD taking discounts as UFA's in 2 and 3 years.

Also, Mack had some really good players around him when he won the cup. So did Eichel last year. So yes, it is possible for amazing players to be surrounded with other amazing players. Happens every year.
Mackinnon was making 6.3 when he won the cup

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
They played the LA kings. At best they are the 2nd worst team in the playoffs. Draisaitl is not even a top 20 defensive forward.
Strong words for a fan of a team in quite a poor position.

All of the Leafs collectively show their commitment to defense when they get out worked every single time these last 8(!!!!) years

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Dude he grabbed his face all series long.....he did play a helluva series, but that wasn't a penalty, simple as that, not at THAT level of hockey, not at THAT standard that they set....

That's the problem, when you set that standard, so they call that penalty, it's a shit call, but sure...that's the standard they set, then every penalty like that, they let go.....Moore gets tackled going to the net int he 3rd, no call. Arvidsson gets tackled like that, no call....

You guys think I am taking away from the Oilers by pointing it out, I'm not they were going to win regardless of the shit calls or not, I'm saying to lose that game on shit calls is more of a kicker because even though they were going to lose regardless, the chance to even be in the game was rendered moot.
If you bother to watch the clip, it’s clear that PLD hits him in the face.

Kings should be more disciplined

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Because it was brought up....

That and they'll be looking to re-sign Leon this summer and Connor next summer

Reactions: Oilhawks

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon

I remember every time an Oilers fan has thought this over the years that’d we get raked over the coals.

Honestly it’s no exception here. Lazy plays, some chops, some dumb decisions and a lack of retaliation from the Oil put LA in their place.

50+ % on the PP is what killed em

Reactions: PULSATING

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The Nurse-Ceci pairing is still a hockey heart attack to me. Skinner eliminated the muffins after game 2 but I still worry about those 2.

Desharnais having a much better post-season compared to last year is definitely helping. Kulak somehow mysteriously always good in the playoffs.
I'll throw some more love at Kulak too. Guy has been steady eddy for three straight playoffs.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Strong words for a fan of a team in quite a poor position.

All of the Leafs collectively show their commitment to defense when they get out worked every single time these last 8(!!!!) years
Yeah. There are so many similarities with the paths Toronto has to take to make noise in the playoffs, and the paths Edmonton has been given.

The only times Edmonton has played someone of Boston/Tampa calibre, they have been absolutely owned. Let’s not forget that.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The Nurse-Ceci pairing is still a hockey heart attack to me. Skinner eliminated the muffins after game 2 but I still worry about those 2.

Desharnais having a much better post-season compared to last year is definitely helping. Kulak somehow mysteriously always good in the playoffs.
Kulak has been underrated all year.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Yeah. There are so many similarities with the paths Toronto has to take to make noise in the playoffs, and the paths Edmonton has been given.

The only times Edmonton has played someone of Boston/Tampa calibre, they have been absolutely owned. Let’s not forget that.
The Leafs shit the bed against the Blue Jackets and Canadiens with the exact same core. Spare us all the Leafs sob story.

Also, the Leafs record against playoff teams in the West is mediocre and they went 1-1 against the Kings. Cope harder.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kulak has been underrated all year.
Lots of guys in similar boat across the league. He rarely throws bone crushing hits and doesn't put up a lot of points. So the only time he gets noticed is if he makes a mistake and then people get all over the guy thinking he does nothing.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Because MacK looks like he was shot out of a cannon when he's on the ice. He seems to be going full blast 100% of the time. McDavid is more choosey about when he uses his speed i guess. He's also kind of lost a dimension of his game this year, it seems like he can't really shoot the puck (i still think he's injured) but last year when he scored 60+ and put up 150 pts he was unreal to watch

I get what you're saying though. Colorado is f***ing scary, i want nothing to do with them in the playoffs and just pray that Dallas or Vegas can knock them out next round

Both players are a joy to watch; I appreciate. While MacK gallops around the ice, McD swiftly meanders.

Different styles, both beautiful and effective. What impresses me the most about McD is his lateral puck protection; when he uses his mobility, reach, and size, he’s unstoppable.

I draw the comparison to (peak) Sid bc that’s what I most appreciated about him—he has that low center of gravity; when in motion, protecting the puck, unstoppable.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad