Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers defeat the LA Kings, 4-1

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The Oilers are going all the way this year...
They definitely got the easier pathway there especially if Vancouver does beat the preds cause I don’t think the shit Vancouver is pulling off now is gonna work against the Oil. Dallas,Colorado,Vegas are a problems for the Oilers though depends how much gas those teams have left since they gotta get through actual contending teams just to make it to the conference finals.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Props to LA for battling to the bitter end. Unfortunately despite the coaching change, coaching still sunk them for a 3rd year in a row playing that system. Also a tip of the cap for most of the Kings posters for engaging in quality discussion, things rarely got out of hand despite a couple of the games going that way.

Hope you can find a taker for PLD in the offseason :)
Love your post.
Regarding PLD, I always believe that the talent that is in an athlete doesn't just disappear, over such a short term.
Kings can hope that PLD rights his own listing ship. It is possible.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I know it will never happen in the real world but buying out PLD this summer seems like it would be a defendable decision.
It really feels like the only option. Every other options feels worse. It's more than just his incompetence. The guy radiates an aura of "punch in punch out." That's poison on a team. You need everyone buying in.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I know it will never happen in the real world but buying out PLD this summer seems like it would be a defendable decision.
it only gets more expensive the longer you wait

if you rip the bandaid off you're making the best of what appears to be an awful decision

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Refs gave the Kings the game they wanted by putting the whistles away in Game 4 and the Oilers still beat them on the one PP chance they had.

I get not being able to stop the Oilers PP when they throw out looks you don't see on your regular season game footage and get on a heater, but the Kings coaching staff failed by not finding a set-up to score a PP goal because the Oilers PK was porous all season.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Whats the more surprising stat? Oilers around 50% on the pp or la kings not getting a single powerplay goal all series
Definitely Oilers being 100% on the pk. Question now is we're the kings that bad on the pp or were the Oilers just that good on the pk?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kings became dangerous when they had to abandon the 1-3-1 down by 2 wake up Kings management
Preaching to the choir, man. The Kings had a lot of speed in their game and pressure. Still iffy on defense, but played kinda like the Oilers all the way until mid-December and then they just sort of stopped for whatever reason. And it was all while carrying PLD's dead weight. He never got going this season at any point. Maybe one game here and there, but never a stretch where he felt effective.

Reactions: Satire

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Now if the remaining Canadian teams could all lose their next few games all will be right in the world. Although I'm more excited for a series against the canucks than against the preds.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What Kings fans hope for is for Blake and co to be cleared out. What they'll get ... is 0-4-1.

We tried that

1714627727505.png

Attachments

• 1714627701641.jpeg
    1714627701641.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 3

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The Kings played well. There was less of the dirty stuff this year. Just a hard fought series.

Whats the more surprising stat? Oilers around 50% on the pp or la kings not getting a single powerplay goal all series

Neither is really all that surprising. The Oilers PK was really solid this year once Knoblauch took over, and they have literally the best PP of all time. If there’s ever a team you don’t want to start exchanging penalties with, it’s Edmonton

Is it safe to say that the Oilers+refs beat the LA Kings?

Don’t take stupid, blatant penalties and you won’t end up on the PK maybe? The Kings lack of discipline is on them, not the refs. The refs let a LOT go

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Refs gave the Kings the game they wanted by putting the whistles away in Game 4 and the Oilers still beat them on the one PP chance they had.

I get not being able to stop the Oilers PP when they throw out looks you don't see on your regular season game footage and get on a heater, but the Kings coaching staff failed by not finding a set-up to score a PP goal because the Oilers PK was porous all season.
Oilers did have the 7th ranked PK in the league with Knoblauch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
People love to complain about the refs but what they’re REALLY mad about is poor discipline and drastically inferior special teams.

I don't understand why people act like this has to be mutually exclusive

The refs f***ing sucked on both sides, they were not prepared for the temperature of the game, had no in game consistency, and made ego calls (in game 3 especially).

The Kings also blew it for themselves, it was not a ref conspiracy and there is no blame to displace.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I don't understand why people act like this has to be mutually exclusive

The refs f***ing sucked on both sides, they were not prepared for the temperature of the game, had no in game consistency, and made ego calls (in game 3 especially).

The Kings also blew it for themselves, it was not a ref conspiracy and there is no blame to displace.
Game 3 was ridiculous, the refs completely lost control of the game. I can't recall another circumstance where penalties were just handed out without any explanation. For that 5 on 3 after the Englund hit, even the NHL.com penalty tracker had no idea wtf was going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad