Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If you said it before you were obviously wrong because he played very well on NY and played great for 73 games last season and 2 rounds of the playoffs. Talbot has been the least of problems. I am not worried about Talbot for even one second. The Oilers played like complete garbage his last 3 starts. I am pretty confident you will be proven wrong saying it again.

Hey, I never said the team was bad? In fact I want to see them do well, I don't hate on anybody. Cam Talbot is not an elite goalie, I don't care what he did last year, I don't view him as an elite goalie. I am not hating at all, I just don't find him elite. That does not mean he is not good, or the team is not, but they were given 2nd best odds to win the cup? a bit premature no?

I hope I am wrong and that all the teams in Canada do well, it is damn good for hockey!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If you said it before you were obviously wrong because he played very well on NY and played great for 73 games last season and 2 rounds of the playoffs. Talbot has been the least of problems. I am not worried about Talbot for even one second. The Oilers played like complete garbage his last 3 starts. I am pretty confident you will be proven wrong saying it again.

And yes, the Oil have played badly in front of him, you are right.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I don't blame people for ripping on us after a dismal 1-4 start. If the Flames were 1-4 I'd be giving it to them twice as hard .

I'm not worried . The effort is still there . 50 plus shots , were attacking and generating chances . This garbage goaltending and puck luck won't continue .

And yes, we've played miserable in front of Talbot defensively .

Reactions: DanM

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Flames fan here saying it's way too early to write off the Oilers. All it will take is Talbot on a hot streak and Sekera back and they could be right back. But even if this year disappoints, it happens. After the Flames made the playoffs a couple years ago we missed the following year.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I don't blame people for ripping on us after a dismal 1-4 start. If the Flames were 1-4 I'd be giving it to them twice as hard .

I'm not worried . The effort is still there . 50 plus shots , were attacking and generating chances . This garbage goaltending and puck luck won't continue .

And yes, we've played miserable in front of Talbot defensively .

Yeah, that's how I feel. To early for any kind of real idea of what the team will be, good or bad. We have the same crap on the main board with the Leafs, are they really this good lol As always people are waiting until a bad streak to crap all over us. I think both the Oil and Leafs will be just fine in the long run.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Hey, I never said the team was bad? In fact I want to see them do well, I don't hate on anybody. Cam Talbot is not an elite goalie, I don't care what he did last year, I don't view him as an elite goalie. I am not hating at all, I just don't find him elite. That does not mean he is not good, or the team is not, but they were given 2nd best odds to win the cup? a bit premature no?

I hope I am wrong and that all the teams in Canada do well, it is damn good for hockey!

Fair enough but I think Talbot was an elite goalie last season, you have to be pretty good to play with the kind of consistency that Talbot played with through 73 games last season. The Oilers have played one good game this season and Talbot had a shutout. I believe the Oilers would have won tonight or at least had a good chance to win if Talbot played. Oilers deserved to win the game but they gave up about 5 good scoring chances and they all went in. Talbot can usually be relied upon to make 1 or 2 great saves a game, sometimes the difference between winning and losing. Obviously if the Oilers improve their play and the results stay the same, you will be proven right.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Fair enough but I think Talbot was an elite goalie last season, you have to be pretty good to play with the kind of consistency that Talbot played with through 73 games last season. The Oilers have played one good game this season and Talbot had a shutout. I believe the Oilers would have won tonight if Talbot played. Oilers deserved to win the game but they gave up about 5 good scoring chances and they all went in. Talbot can usually be relied upon to make 1 or 2 great saves a game, sometimes the difference between winning and losing. Obviously if the Oilers improve their play and the results stay the same, you will be proven right.

I don't want to be right, and I believe they will be fine long term. I do agree he was elite last year for sure, I only meant over his career, but still a very good goalie none the less. I feel once the blueline is healthy again, and everything else normalizes they will be dangerous. I have noticed they have been firing a ton of shots, so more goals will come of that, only takes one game. I have a soft spot for the Oil, I was really young but I remember the dynasty growing up, and the run in 2006 was awesome, the building was electric, so I want success out there.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
This thread is going to look really funny in a few weeks and months. The Oilers are leading virtually every stat category in the league, except for shooting and saves percentages. They will be more than all right. Small sample sizes and puck luck. Happens every year.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Klefbom has been bad, and without Sekera the Oilers are thin on the blueline. No Draisatl means McDavid has to win every game because RNH can't drive any offense

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This thread is going to look really funny in a few weeks and months. The Oilers are leading virtually every stat category in the league, except for shooting and saves percentages. They will be more than all right. Small sample sizes and puck luck. Happens every year.

The problem is you can't dig yourself into too big of a hole either. It's early and I get that. But maybe they continue to make silly fundamental mistakes. Maybe their PK continues to be awful. Maybe they give up goals when it matter etc. You can't just continue to hand points to an opposing team as sooner or later the hole will be too big. I'd like to think they can turn it around in a long season but only time will tell.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think that's probably part of the problem. 73 games is too much for a goaltender these days. Pile a couple playoff rounds on top of that and it's an even heavier workload. All played behind a team that isn't exactly stingy defensively either. And for a guy who had never been an NHL starter before.

I think most savvy followers of the game would actually fully expect a bit of a hangover for Talbot coming off that season. Which means you want a backup who can really spell him and lighten the load significantly this season - in terms of physical fatigue, but also probably more importantly, in terms of mental fatigue.

There are plenty of other flaws in the Oilers team construction though. Their defence is not deep in Top-4 calibre guys, much less Top-3 guys who can carry a pairing, and it's missing the all-around horse to carry things when a guy like Sekera is missing. The forward corps revolves entirely around 2 players and goes as they go. Depth guys all over the team overachieved last year...with no significant help brought in as insurance against their entirely plausible drop-off. In fact, they ditched a soft/floater but at times dynamic play driving winger for a soft/floater passenger in the Eberle/Strome deal.

They basically took an overachieving team last year that still fell well short, and rested on their laurels. They'll still be okay though, eventually. McDavid+Draisaitl will be enough to drag them through, and there's always the potential to add a piece or two. But eh...can't just stand pat with a team that's not good enough, and outside of McDavid/Draisaitl...really not even that young and improving anymore.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Umm... it's only mid October. Some of you may be pressing the panic button a bit too quickly. A little bit of adversity this early in the season may be the best thing for such a young team.

Also, it seems to happen every season, some team that Vegas/sports writers pick as their preseason Cup favourites will come out of the gate slow (Nashville last season, the Ducks the season before, etc etc). They usually right themselves eventually during the season. I suspect the Oilers will do the same.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Edmonton will be fine once they get going but it’s tough to overcome a bad start if they let this get out of hand.

They need a win or two really bad. Couple more losses and you have to play at a 100-110 point place just to get a wild card spot.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Klefbom has been bad, and without Sekera the Oilers are thin on the blueline. No Draisatl means McDavid has to win every game because RNH can't drive any offense
Yeah he's been trash so far. I expected a huge year from him (still do) but he has to be a lot better. Their lack of depth up front really shows with LD out too.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Nice to see the oilers come back to earth after the summer long handy they seemed to get around here.

Thought McDavid was going to be the clear cut best player in the league after that first game, now he's being gifted assists after playing half the game.

Plenty of time to batten down the hatches and they're only a good 5 game run from returning to respectability, but a spotlight has been shown on their warts and it'll be interesting to see what kind of team they end up this season.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As someone who wants to see Edmonton be successful I just hope Chiarelli doesn't make any rash decisions/trades. We've seen how often he's on the losing end of trades when he has time to think about them. Imagine how bad he could f*** up when he's impatient.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Ever heard of score effects? They're playing behind for most of the games and trying to catch up.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

It could look hilarious if they are still doing badly. Or it could simply look like you were in denial.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
A lot of good teams look bad right now. And a lot of bad teams been looking good.

That's just the start of the season for you. It's like this every year. Some teams start better than others.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Jaccob Slavin was a beast. Shut down CMD over and over. What a game for him. Yamamoto is very good, like that kid, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad