Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
jebus guys. Read the comments. Arash Madami, who I had never heard of before this is getting nearly unanimously flamed as a hack for this inflaming bit of junk which is NOT a team memo but likely the opinion of one disgruntled player. There is zero substance to this tweet. This is irresponsible reporting and should be condemned for the absolute junk it is.

You all got rolled

Madani is a legit reporter which makes it worse and is why some of us believed him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Gee, for a guy who is basically at the end of his career, Tony is doing a lot of talking. In going public in such an unabashed manner I wonder who he thinks he is benefitting?

One way or another its another "not so professional" moment for the CFL.

I hope the league will soon publish the main points surrounding the new agreement in a manner that casual fans will understand. Here's hoping that goodies like the "designated import" rule have bitten the dust.

Also, some of these rules and designations about import status are taking on a degree of complexity that seems unwarranted. Maybe the Supreme Court will ultimately rule on some of this stuff.

At the risk of re-opening a can of worms, perhaps the best 46 guys who come to camp should form the roster regardless of whether Mom or Dad might be a Canadian.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
jebus guys. Read the comments. Arash Madami, who I had never heard of before this is getting nearly unanimously flamed as a hack for this inflaming bit of junk which is NOT a team memo but likely the opinion of one disgruntled player. There is zero substance to this tweet. This is irresponsible reporting and should be condemned for the absolute junk it is.

You all got rolled
I envy you not having heard of Arash Madani before. He is, without question, the creepiest person in the world of sports reporting. For years I’ve felt bad for the athletes who have been interviewed by him. Sadly for you, you now know who he is. Hopefully he takes a big hit from this and disappears for a while.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

You all got rolled

There's multiple media personnel out there reporting similar, along with some players on twitter. League tried to pull a fast one on the players since they were already in town, hoping they'd just fold.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

There's multiple media personnel out there reporting similar, along with some players on twitter. League tried to pull a fast one on the players since they were already in town, hoping they'd just fold.

I don't think what is purported here is accurate. Its largely the same misinformation as Madami put out with different sources piggy backing on that. One of the problems with obtaining news from twitter.

All that likely happened here is a few blowhard players, and we know the CFL has a lot of them, spoke out about something. From all sources it seems there was some disagreement on language used in the CBA or interpretation, which happens basically any time a complex. labor agreement is worked out. Which is why you let the League and the CFLPA and their lawyers hammer out the details and not some player dolts looking for attention.

This is nothing news. Nothing actually occurred.

To wit this.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-collective-bargaining-agreement-holds-together-after-discrepancy-1.1308096

The media, now somewhat embarrassed that they made such a big deal about this have telecasts like this in which they stated "A deal is reached finally" with finally uttered no less than 6 times in this telecast. The confusion, simply on wording and interpretation and some ambiguity, lasted less than a day and was resolved SAME DAY. Really within hours of the confusion originating. So why does TSN keep bleating "finally" when we have a deal reached well in time, no delay of anything, and operations are normal? This was slow news day stuff and nothing more. Media outlets looking for ratings and fishing for controversy.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I envy you not having heard of Arash Madani before. He is, without question, the creepiest person in the world of sports reporting. For years I’ve felt bad for the athletes who have been interviewed by him. Sadly for you, you now know who he is. Hopefully he takes a big hit from this and disappears for a while.

Outside of games I NEVER watch TSN. Not one minute. I presume Arash Madami is on there. looks like he just wanted some hits. A plurality are calling out his comments as jumping the gun on nothing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Madani is a Sportsnet guy, mostly known for reporting on the Blue Jays.

That would explain a lot. I think I've watched a dozen baseball games in my entire life, if that. Last time I watched the Blue Jays they won the World Series.

Actually I don't watch any sports news coverage on any channel either. Outside of Hockey, Football, Soccer I don't require sports channels to even exist.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Outside of games I NEVER watch TSN. Not one minute. I presume Arash Madami is on there. looks like he just wanted some hits. A plurality are calling out his comments as jumping the gun on nothing.
Yeah, he’s a Sportsnet guy. Although he does cover the Jays, and also the CFL, he’s their main tennis reporter. That’s where I know him best from. He tries to be a wordsmith and is probably best suited for print media only. Sportsnet uses him as a field reporter and he’s not suited for that. He asks very long winded questions of athletes and every tennis player I’ve seen him interview (both male and female) looks uncomfortable next to him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So...first pre-season game is next Sunday against BC. Looking forward to it.
IMO this is going to be the most interesting season the Esks have had in years.
This is Sunderlands team for sure...now we see how well he did putting it together.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So...first pre-season game is next Sunday against BC. Looking forward to it.
IMO this is going to be the most interesting season the Esks have had in years.
This is Sunderlands team for sure...now we see how well he did putting it together.

I think Brock has done a great job but I note that our new star receiver is in some hot water in Ottawa. We'll see how long that works out here.

I am still trying to find some clarification on the new import rules but I guess that will become clearer as the season starts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A few comments.

Sunderland is saying he's brought back key vets to be the glue. Not sure I'm seeing a lot of solid vets in the lineup. Who is he thinking will emerge as the leaders on the squad. Reilly was the clear leader of the team for the last several seasons. Him and Sherritt were respective leaders on the team and both gone.

Org has made a clear shift in entertainment and focus of what their audience is. Gone is the rap and crap type performances. The team returns with a Tom Cochrane/Red Rider performance which is a marked departure from recent seasons. Extreme Dogs halftime performance in another game. Seems like they are gearing back to entertainments that will appeal to most viewers rather than a selected few.

The Website decisions leave a bit to be desired. Imagine turning to the STH page and seeing a splash page of CJ Gable (along with Sewell) Do the Esks really think Gable has been good enough to be prominent feature persuasion? First thing I think when I see his face is him fumbling at the worst possible time. I didn't even want him back tbh.

Finally ticket increases. All tickets are up somewhat, that is unfortunate for a community owned club in the midst of a dire economy. Even Family Huddle tickets hit 30 bucks for the first time ever. But overall quite a lot of upward price creep which is kind of silly at Commonwealth which is carernous. I would prefer more seats sold at more reasonable prices rather than the Esks pushing prices up and getting far fewer sales. 100 bucks to see an Esks game? Seriously? Who is going to blow that per ticket. Do the ESks forget they are coming off a mammoth failure season? I wonder how many fans will.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, a couple more. Esks are packaging a 3yr STH promotion which smells so much like what the Oilers do since Rogers Place opened. While I can see it from their perspective that they want the reassurance of known sales again they are pulling this punch immediately after a failed season. This would be the type of ploy you use after winning a Grey Cup, not after missing the playoffs in a Grey Cup Hosting year and losing the face of the franchise.

I mention this from time to time. Fan to team bonding. Its absolutely huge that this team come out winning. Because otherwise this is going to be a supreme shitshow. We're a hard crowd but Edmonton has supported pro ball here enough to have inordinate expectation. If this team that Sunderland wanted loses out of the gate look for the boobirds to come out. Just saying. A lot of the returnees are players that weren't all that much. I like some of the influx this year but is it enough to put a winner on the field this season? Keeping in mind we now face a guy like Reilly 4 times. Konar has also just signed in BC. Not like he won't be ripping at us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Brock has done a great job but I note that our new star receiver is in some hot water in Ottawa. We'll see how long that works out here.

I am still trying to find some clarification on the new import rules but I guess that will become clearer as the season starts.

Lots of story lines this season for sure. Looking forward to seeing how things play out.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well, a couple more. Esks are packaging a 3yr STH promotion which smells so much like what the Oilers do since Rogers Place opened. While I can see it from their perspective that they want the reassurance of known sales again they are pulling this punch immediately after a failed season. This would be the type of ploy you use after winning a Grey Cup, not after missing the playoffs in a Grey Cup Hosting year and losing the face of the franchise.

I mention this from time to time. Fan to team bonding. Its absolutely huge that this team come out winning. Because otherwise this is going to be a supreme ****show. We're a hard crowd but Edmonton has supported pro ball here enough to have inordinate expectation. If this team that Sunderland wanted loses out of the gate look for the boobirds to come out. Just saying. A lot of the returnees are players that weren't all that much. I like some of the influx this year but is it enough to put a winner on the field this season? Keeping in mind we now face a guy like Reilly 4 times. Konar has also just signed in BC. Not like he won't be ripping at us.
Eskimo’s field a competitive football team almost every season. It’s not at all like the dumpster fire in Rogers.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Eskimo’s field a competitive football team almost every season. It’s not at all like the dumpster fire in Rogers.

I cancelled my season tickets due to Maas not being fired, but I would never say the product is inherently overpriced. You can get a season ticket for $350. I think that might buy you a pair of tickets for one single Oiler game, a product which is complete trash 80% of the time for the last 15 years.

That said, they are doing themselves no favors by not having cheap ticket options for families with kids or teens/college aged kids. When the stadium literally has 20,000 empty seats for most games, I don't see why they don't let kids in for free with a paying adult or something like that. At least some small percentage of those kids will grow up to be football fans and be paying customers in the future.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I cancelled my season tickets due to Maas not being fired, but I would never say the product is inherently overpriced. You can get a season ticket for $350. I think that might buy you a pair of tickets for one single Oiler game, a product which is complete trash 80% of the time for the last 15 years.

That said, they are doing themselves no favors by not having cheap ticket options for families with kids or teens/college aged kids. When the stadium literally has 20,000 empty seats for most games, I don't see why they don't let kids in for free with a paying adult or something like that. At least some small percentage of those kids will grow up to be football fans and be paying customers in the future.
Boston pizza tickets are pretty cheap..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The CFL is not even comparable, as a product, to the AHL. At one time the CFL may have been more worthwhile but now its nothing but a tertiary farm system for the NFL.

I can afford to go. But the feeling is I can't see spending 100bucks to go out to a CFL game. I'll do it very rarely. Like others mention theres 20k empty seats every game and as well entire sections tarped off. They could provide some actual cheap seat options if they wanted to. But the fear is that will erode their primary gate and getting top money for lower bowl between goal line seating. But basically any ticket for Esks is 45-50bucks starting, with surcharges. A lot to ask considering what kind of league this is and the comic officiating. Wife and I could go to any restaurant in the city and get fed a premium dinner with wine for the kind of price we're talking here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The CFL is not even comparable, as a product, to the AHL. At one time the CFL may have been more worthwhile but now its nothing but a tertiary farm system for the NFL.

I can afford to go. But the feeling is I can't see spending 100bucks to go out to a CFL game. I'll do it very rarely. Like others mention theres 20k empty seats every game and as well entire sections tarped off. They could provide some actual cheap seat options if they wanted to. But the fear is that will erode their primary gate and getting top money for lower bowl between goal line seating. But basically any ticket for Esks is 45-50bucks starting, with surcharges. A lot to ask considering what kind of league this is and the comic officiating. Wife and I could go to any restaurant in the city and get fed a premium dinner with wine for the kind of price we're talking here.
Okay go to a premium dinner with wine. I’ll go have fun at a football game in the sun.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Even the STH are not being all that economical an option for many. Given that its summer its basically next to impossible to schedule around seeing EVERY game. Being summer people usually have a lot of other commitments etc. I know a fair amount of people that buy STH still and only end up actually going to half a dozen games. In anycase they misleadingly list 11 game benefit. Thats including an Exhibition game I wouldn't spend 20bucks to see and a Junior Football game thrown in. We're basically talking 350bucks minimum for 9games. Works out to a tidy 39bucks per actual Regular Season game which is no cost savings.

They did introduce 69buck STH for kids but have to be with an adult and not sure what sections.

We agree that the place is half empty on average, looks like they could do some more promotions to get more people out. Also a way to grow their market. The reality is that 45 bucks/per for an entertainment outing is still multiple times what a movie costs for instance. People on a dime won't be looking at this option much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Okay go to a premium dinner with wine. I’ll go have fun at a football game in the sun.

Any recent experience at an Esks game hasn't been that much fun and the weather is not too cooperative either a lot of the time. They should probably go with more Afternoon starts even in midsummer with this being the prairies and storm fronts often rolling in during the evenings. I used to love going out to Commonwealth. But the Esks org hasn't been all that worth it for a long while. We'll see if the team is any good this season.

If its a winning playoff bound club this season I'll go. I'm most definitely at fair weather fan stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad