Proposal: Edmonton and Washington Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I agree on Washington being a prime spot for Nail, Ovechkin has talked to him after games apparently so I could really see Yak thriving with real mentors to learn from. Aside from his rookie year and the short stint with Roy, Yak has only had guys his age to turn to.

And his rookie year was his best year, and he played really well with Roy... What does that tell Oilers management...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like Bowey from what I saw of him when Draisaitl was on his team, but that seems like a hefty price to pay for him based on my viewings unless he really picked his game up and has shown a lot at the AHL level. If not then there's a Bowey overrating and Reinhart underrating going on IMO.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
And his rookie year was his best year, and he played really well with Roy... What does that tell Oilers management...

His rookie year was inflated by an unsustainable shooting percentage. Regardless, EDM shouldn't give up on Yakupov. It's better to take a risk on him than get a 3rd round pick who'll probably never make it to the NHL.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I imagine the Caps will stand pat with what they have. The only way I can see any sense in the vision of the OP is that the Caps might entertain Yakupov as a resurrection candidate, Reinhart and the pick are superfluous under the guise of "convincing" Wsh fans that the sum of the return justifies the payment of a very good prospect (quality for quantity essentially). That said, a team trying to win now doesn't have much room for those type of players (Yakupov), who likely need playing time, opportunity, better than average defensive linemates, and leeway to forgive mistakes. I also don't see Yakupov being very effective at all on the 3rd line. The timing of Boweys development in that regard is perfect for Wsh as he can be integrated slowly on a D-core where he can be sheltered. Regardless, if Wsh wants a reclamation project (be that Yakupov or anyone else) they're certainly not going to trade a Top Prospect to get them.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I like Bowey from what I saw of him when Draisaitl was on his team

I'm of the opposite opinion watching him on the Rockets. Bowey is duuuumb (albeit skilled). Like Cam Barker dumb.

Josh Morrissey is the guy with underrated hockey sense. Makes the right play.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I like Bowey from what I saw of him when Draisaitl was on his team, but that seems like a hefty price to pay for him based on my viewings unless he really picked his game up and has shown a lot at the AHL level. If not then there's a Bowey overrating and Reinhart underrating going on IMO.

1469512610452-inigomontoya.jpg

Yakupov's value seems to decrease with each passing month. Reinhart isn't worth the price for which he was acquired. Nothing about that package deserves the description you gave it.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'm of the opposite opinion watching him on the Rockets. Bowey is duuuumb (albeit skilled). Like Cam Barker dumb.

Josh Morrissey is the guy with underrated hockey sense. Makes the right play.

Assailing a prospects hockey sense in a thread about Yakupov. "It's a bold strategy Cotton"

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
1469512610452-inigomontoya.jpg

Yakupov's value seems to decrease with each passing month. Reinhart isn't worth the price for which he was acquired. Nothing about that package deserves the description you gave it.

Does Bowey have more value than Reinhart alone? That's my point. Not that Reinhart and Yak are world beaters but I still think that both would have more value than Bowey based on what I saw of him a little over a year ago.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Does Bowey have more value than Reinhart alone? That's my point. Not that Reinhart and Yak are world beaters but I still think that both would have more value than Bowey based on what I saw of him a little over a year ago.

For Capitals, easily. They don't need Griffin Reinhart at all really, as long as Brooks Orpik is on the line-up. Can't afford to have 2 guys on the left-side that provide absolutely zero offense. Especially when they have Nate Schmidt ready there too, who provides very little on his own. Both Orpik and Schmidt would play over Reinhart, which would lead to him being #7D for Capitals. It's a different question if Brooks Orpik would be going the other way, too.

As good as it might be for Yakupov's career, Capitals don't need him, at all. Their LW depth is among the best in the league, and only one Yakupov could have chance to compete with is Winnik, but Winnik fits better on that 4LW role as he plays major PK minutes too. On the right side, Capitals are set all aswell. Williams and Oshie over Yak are no-brainers. Wilson takes one of bottom-6 RW roles, and Yakupov doesn't really fit over him either, because Wilson is key PK player on one of the best units in the NHL. They already added Brett Connolly, who is a similar player as Yakupov, but he came without any assets going the other way, and his salary is far more realistic for what role he is going to get here.

Madison Bowey just had a really good rookie season in the AHL, and has been developing really well after being drafted. I don't know if he's more valuable than Griffin Reinhart in vacuum (IMO, he is), but for Capitals he is much more valuable than Reinhart would be. Only way i would ever consider this is if Brooks Orpik was going the other way too. Otherwise, Orpik is taking the role already what Reinhart would have in Washington.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
How does one affect the other?

Not much.
But considering that in the OP the two players in question are being traded for one another, an estimation of the relative hockey sense of both players affects how that trade will be reviewed by both fan bases. Yakupov is nearly universally decried as one of the utmost examples of poor hockey sense among recent early draftees by both Oiler fans and non-Oiler fans alike and, for that matter, I don't see Reinhart's hockey sense being lauded by many analysts either. Calling Bowey's hockey sense into question in that context is disingenuous at best, self-indulgent homerism at worst.

The argument breaks down to;
"You should trade Bowey because his poor hockey sense will prevent him from reaching his ceiling."
Okay, who should we trade him for?
"A guy who's poor hockey sense is about to see him become a pariah on his own team and potentially league-wide."

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is the kind of stuff where HF as a whole is on an island.

Madison Bowey is eight months younger than Reinhart and as an offensively gifted defenseman he managed to score 7 more points than him in his rookie pro season. Seven. And admittedly, that was a poor rookie season for Reinhart, while Bowey's was is being considered successful.

Fast-forward to this past season and Reinhart is eased in to some NHL games. He looked raw, but he still played 18 minutes a game and he still improved on facets of his game that were considered weaker, mainly his physicality.

So where is this substantial gap between Reinhart and Bowey?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The argument breaks down to;
"You should trade Bowey because his poor hockey sense will prevent him from reaching his ceiling."
Okay, who should we trade him for?
"A guy who's poor hockey sense is about to see him become a pariah on his own team and potentially league-wide."

No, I believe his argument was that he doesn't want Madison Bowey.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Personally, I think the value is relatively even. I just don't see why Washington does it. They need a cost controller Bowey more than Yakupov or Reinhart.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
No, I believe his argument was that he doesn't want Madison Bowey.

Excellent. My position is that the Caps don't want Reinhart over Bowey and its beginning to seem like noone (not even his own team) wants Yakupov.

Seriously, has any Caps fan in this thread or any other ever put forth a majority opinion wanting either of those players.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Excellent. My position is that the Caps don't want Reinhart over Bowey and its beginning to seem like noone (not even his own team) wants Yakupov.

Seriously, has any Caps fan in this thread or any other ever put forth a majority opinion wanting either of those players.

You are wrong on the first part, in that a lot of Oilers fans (and the team, hence him being here) like Yak. I really want him playing on McDavid's wing to start the season, just like last season. However, I get the feeling that the coaching staff has other plans, and I don't think he can excel in another role on this team. He might just need a change of scenery, and where better than Ovi's team?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You are wrong on the first part, in that a lot of Oilers fans (and the team, hence him being here) like Yak. I really want him playing on McDavid's wing to start the season, just like last season. However, I get the feeling that the coaching staff has other plans, and I don't think he can excel in another role on this team. He might just need a change of scenery, and where better than Ovi's team?

For a Caps fan, you don't really seem to follow the team ideal very much. Simply stated, where do you think Barry Trotz would play a player who has had near league worst plus/minus his entire career in the NHL? I can tell you where.....Siberia.

I'm really not trying to pile on Yakupov. The bottom line is, the Caps do not have the time for him to figure out his game. He's in a Catch 22; he needs freedom (from expectations and responsibilities) to get back his offense, to play in the NHL he needs to aggressively approach those same expectations and play responsibly to be a 2-way player required in today's NHL. Those two ideals rarely lineup and no team is going to pay a lot (Top 3 organizational prospect) so he can try to iron it out on their roster.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Edmonton gives:
Nail Yakupov
Griffin Reinhart
2017 3rd round pick (maybe)

Washington gives:
Madison Bowey

What do you guys think? I'm a fan of both teams (one for the regular season and the other for the playoffs lol) and I think Yakupov could do really well in Washington.
Bowey was drafted a year after both Nail, and G.Reinhart. He hasn't shown to be any better than either of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad