Proposal: EDM-WPG

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How would Vesalainen be an upgrade over Kahun, Ennis ?
Oilers cant afford to go Barrie, Bear, Bouchard at RD.
Larsson is a need in EDM.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Winnipeg can't afford Larsson's cap hit and Vesalainen is too much to give for a rental.
Disagree he is definitely available for the right rental, the right year. I don’t see a place for him long term. Is he going to replace wheeler he is in his d-3 and Pomo is benching him Lewis and Thompson. We could easily lose him in Ed and it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Reactions: BatVader

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The Jets and the Oilers are neck and neck for 2nd in the division. Do you think they are going to deal with one another? Doubtful.

Reactions: zar

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Disagree he is definitely available for the right rental, the right year. I don’t see a place for him long term. Is he going to replace wheeler he is in his d-3 and Pomo is benching him Lewis and Thompson. We could easily lose him in Ed and it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
I guess I should have said "a rental of this calibre", but I was trying to be nice to avoid starting a squabble. I don't have a problem moving Vesalainen for the right rental, Larson just isn't it.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
As soon as the Oilers trade Adam Larsson, their biggest need would immediately become a defensive RH D, like Adam Larsson. I’d trade Bear or Barrie first because their skill sets are somewhat duplicated by Bouchard, before I let Larsson go. No slight against Vesalainen. I was sure he was going to be better than Yamamoto when drafted.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There might be some forward positions opening up this offseason (possible trade/departures of Stasts, Copp, Perreault). I am not too eager to shed a guy like Ves who may earn a lot more time next season if he continues his progression.

Reactions: north49er

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
To Wpg:
Adam Larsson

To EDM:
Kristian Vesalainen

Fills a need for both teams, what do you all think.

What need does it fill for the Oilers? Oilers have too many bottom-6 types and more in the AHL.

What the Oilers need are more Dylan Holloways... soon-to-be cheap ELC players that have upside.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Value is decent for Edmonton despite Vesalainen slipping a bit as a prospect.

Bad optics for Edmonton though as they're still competing for and as of now have a good chance to make the playoffs.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Yeah EDM is competing for a top 2 seed in the Canadian division, and they can't deal one of their veteran defensemen who fills a big need for them.

But in terms of pure value it's not a bad deal.

I'm surprised Jets fans are saying no, Vesalainen is a solid prospect but it seems like a large physical top 4 RHD would fill a big need for them, as he would help them contend now during their prime window. Plus he wouldn't need to quarantine as he is already in Canada.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yeah EDM is competing for a top 2 seed in the Canadian division, and they can't deal one of their veteran defensemen who fills a big need for them.

I'm surprised Jets fans are saying no, Vesalainen is a solid prospect but it seems like a large physical top 4 RHD would fill a big need for them, as he would help them contend now during their prime window. Plus he wouldn't need to quarantine as he is already in Canada.
Larsson is a pending UFA. Having traded Laine and Roslovic the Jets wing depth is getting shallow.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Well, last year, we picked up DeMelo, a RHD who was having a good season for a third round pick.

I don’t think Larsson is worth acquiring for one of our former first round draft picks who actually progressed well since last season. Cost is way too steep. I would expect a much better rental in return.

Frankly, I wouldn’t want to lose Vesalainen for a rental trade. Opportunities should be opening up for him on our roster for next season, I would think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad