Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Guy was drafted as a scoring forward, who has never scored at any level he has played, it’s baffling.

Never understood the pre-draft hype, and it’s looking to be a pretty sage point of view.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Guy was drafted as a scoring forward, who has never scored at any level he has played, it’s baffling.

Never understood the pre-draft hype, and it’s looking to be a pretty sage point of view.

Not entirely accurate. He plays like a bull and has a hard shot. He's a hard nosed player and the potential top 6 upside is always there as a top 10 pick but 'scoring forward' has never been his curb appeal. More of a power forward.

The good news for Oilers fans is these types of players take a longer time to develope.
The bad news is Podkolzin's abilities have stagnated the last 2 years and that's with plenty of opportunity given.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Overall a pretty nothing trade imo. Vancouver gets a long shot at grabbing a player in the fourth round or trading the pick for something else. In exchange for a player who struggled to make an impact at the AHL level and who they would have lost on waivers because of the forward depth they added and the prospects who passed him.
Edmonton gives up very little and gets a guy they can try to develop into an everyday fourth line energy type guy without a lot of offense but who can contribute physically and is a good skater.

Reactions: Fatass

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The only question is does McDavid bounce 20, 30, 40 or 50 off his butt into the net…?
I don't think these guys see the ice together at all

Overall a pretty nothing trade imo. Vancouver gets a long shot at grabbing a player in the fourth round or trading the pick for something else. In exchange for a player who struggled to make an impact at the AHL level and who they would have lost on waivers because of the forward depth they added and the prospects who passed him.
Edmonton gives up very little and gets a guy they can try to develop into an everyday fourth line energy type guy without a lot of offense but who can contribute physically and is a good skater.
Which is what the Oilers need. we don't need this guy playing 15 minutes a night on the 2nd line and if hes playing above the 3rd line for more than spot duty, something went wrong.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think these guys see the ice together at all

Which is what the Oilers need. we don't need this guy playing 15 minutes a night on the 2nd line and if hes playing above the 3rd line for more than spot duty, something went wrong.
Agreed. I think it’s a long shot given his struggles in the AHL but he will at least get a good look. And a fourth round pick is a long shot too so the value seems pretty equal here.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Let's fire up the time machine for this site and what was posted

If you search his name on this site there is about 15 pages where he is discussed
Yup. Its not hard to imagine him just becoming what he was as a rookie with a change of scenery. A 4th round pick might never even make the AHL.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
There’s some of this with him but the real issue, is the same issue for most wingers who bust. They simply need more time to make decisions on the ice. Time that just doesn’t exist at the NHL level.

The good part, and why he’s probably worth the 4th Round pick is, it’s not getting his shot off, like it is with many players. He’s shown stretches where he gets his shot off in plenty of time. It’s the rest of his game, where he still needs that extra second, that just doesn’t exist in the NHL.

There’s a reason we see so many “very skilled” Russian and Czechs (especially) “Natural” wingers, bust in the NHL. The systems they grow up playing, give tons of space to wingers on the outside, because their systems have dmen collapse towards the net.

So they have all the time in the world to set things up. They’re not forced to “think the game” so quickly. Or just react “Naturally.”

They may even have initial success in the NHL. Guys like Yakupov for example. Because in the NHL, the dmen will give you the outside initially. Basically they’re cheating their angles, and daring you to create offense from the outside. Once a player proves he can score in that outside space though, NHL Dmen are so talented, they’ll take that space away from these players.

Once that happens, guys like Michkov (this coming season) for example, is gonna have to prove he can take his game to a whole new level, he’s never had to before. Took Nichushkin 5-6 years. Zadina still hasn’t figured it out. Neither has Podkolzin.

The thing is though, you just never know until they play in the NHL, because that part of the game, only exists in the NHL. NHL Dmen are very unique in this regard. They have insane “one on one” skills you just dont see in other leagues. There’s not KHL Dmen who can play this way. Exactly why they collapse towards the net and give the outside away. It’s also why we see so many Russian Dmen struggle defensively in the NHL as young players. They have to be broken from playing the way they always have.

Where here in NA and in Sweden now, we don’t see the busts as much anymore, because our kids play much more “one on one” hockey growing up now. The crazy thing is, it used to be the complete opposite. Until all those great skill oriented coaches from the Soviet Union, all left Russia and came over to coach in NA in the 1990s. They started developing a lot of very skilled kids in the States and USA Hockey took notice. We then seen USA Hockey, followed by Hockey Canada and then Sweden Minor Hockey as well, get away from systems and teach more “one on one” skills to our kids.. While back in Russia, systems took over. Those who now controlled Russian Minor Hockey, were the old rivals of the very skill oriented type coaches who controlled Soviet Hockey for decades, but left for America. Finland has finally switched in recent years as well. Russia and the Czechs though? They need big changes. We should see it soon though, because look at all those same very skilled players from the 1990s now coaching in Russia. Sergei Fedorov for example. His dad, was one of those coaches who came over and brought Russian training to the States.

Anyway. That’s how we got here with all these very skilled players busting in the NHL.

If you notice, most Russian and Czech wingers in the NHL, were also natural Cs back at home. They grew up playing in traffic, and naturally developed skills to create space and make decisions quickly. Most of these very skilled wingers we see bust in the NHL, never had to do so, and it’s a skill that has to come naturally because it’s like a muscle memory. Its done immediately when they get the puck. There’s no time to think.

Podkolzin is gonna have a nice hockey career. It’s just likely to be in the KHL, where he’ll have plenty of time to make decisions. Like it or not though, we have several GMs in the NHL who are almost scared to use a top pick on a Russian Winger. This is the reason why. They’ll use 2nd and 3rd round picks, but not high picks. Michkov for example, will have a lot of pressure on him to produce. He busts, guarantee the Flyers will be added to that list of teams who won’t touch Russian Wingers with a top pick for a long time.
this is the actual reason that he was traded away, his role will overlap Aman, Joshua and DiGiuseppe, all of them are actually more effective in the offensive part of the game. Management mentioned his thinking too slow as one of the reasons he needs to work on radio. I am reminded canuck fans decried that he stayed in the SKA system for too long, and Bragin just completely altered his game in his time there being yoyoed around VHL, MHL and K, playing him in non offensive roles and on the third line in key development years. As a result, the fanbase has lowered their expectations year after year because he stagnated everytime he was called up. He got more shots in abbortsford last year, but at no point did he dominate in the A, and more and more responsibility was shifted to Bains, Dries, Aman Karlsson etc... and finally, he is relegated to bust territory recouping whatever we can get. tough to admit as I am one if his biggest fans and the guy is just so likeable.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
this is the actual reason that he was traded away, his role will overlap Aman, Joshua and DiGiuseppe, all of them are actually more effective in the offensive part of the game. Management mentioned his thinking too slow as one of the reasons he needs to work on radio. I am reminded canuck fans decried that he stayed in the SKA system for too long, and Bragin just completely altered his game in his time there being yoyoed around VHL, MHL and K, playing him in non offensive roles and on the third line in key development years. As a result, the fanbase has lowered their expectations year after year because he stagnated everytime he was called up. He got more shots in abbortsford last year, but at no point did he dominate in the A, and more and more responsibility was shifted to Bains, Dries, Aman Karlsson etc... and finally, he is relegated to bust territory recouping whatever we can get. tough to admit as I am one if his biggest fans and the guy is just so likeable.
Yeah most of the positive comments posted from Canuck fans and the JT Miller quote were from two years ago before he regressed even in the AHL. His first season actually looked somewhat promising but he’s really fallen down the depth chart now and been passed by other better players who can contribute in other ways so that there’s no more room for him. Luckily we got Hoglander in the second round because Benning had three top 10 picks that busted or are on the verge of busting.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not entirely accurate. He plays like a bull and has a hard shot. He's a hard nosed player and the potential top 6 upside is always there as a top 10 pick but 'scoring forward' has never been his curb appeal. More of a power forward.

The good news for Oilers fans is these types of players take a longer time to develope.
The bad news is Podkolzin's abilities have stagnated the last 2 years and that's with plenty of opportunity given.
Honestly if he could come in and have a Klim Kostin type impact it would be a massive win for Edmonton. Even a slightly less scoring Kostin with a better defensive game would be a huge win. Kostin oddly enough had a very similar stagnant few years before having a good year in Edmonton with a change of scenery.

He'll be an interesting player to follow this year.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Honestly if he could come in and have a Klim Kostin type impact it would be a massive win for Edmonton. Even a slightly less scoring Kostin with a better defensive game would be a huge win. Kostin oddly enough had a very similar stagnant few years before having a good year in Edmonton with a change of scenery.

I was podz biggest fan (still am) I don't know why he hasn't panned out but part of me blames his useage in the KHL and Boudrou, who refused to play him after scoring 16 goals in his rookie season. He's never been the same since and for some reason maybe because every where he's played he gets little ice time except under TG but he's completely gone into a defensive she'll like he's terrified to be creative.

You guys should play him next to #97 or 29 and force him to focus on offense.

The only good thing about him being traded to the oilers is the oilers are hated on as much as the nucks. If he had gone to a likeable team this thread would be filled with Podz is gonna be a superstar 🤣
I ran into podz and his wife awhile back along with Klimovich and his wife and it's the first time since grade 7 I stuttered. Their wives are two of the prettiest chics I've ever seen in my life.
In all seriousness tho, I get the thought is to have him in the bottom six and while he can do it, it's a waste, he has a great shot and IQ and as a fan of his I was hoping he would get traded to a team that has the time to keep him in the top six and rebuild the confidence as well as break the habit of thinking defense all the time.
I still think in the right environment, especially a team that will put him at Centre he could still turn his game around. He's played Centre before and I think that would help unlock his game.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was podz biggest fan (still am) I don't know why he hasn't panned out but part of me blames his useage in the KHL and Boudrou, who refused to play him after scoring 16 goals in his rookie season. He's never been the same since and for some reason maybe because every where he's played he gets little ice time except under TG but he's completely gone into a defensive she'll like he's terrified to be creative.

You guys should play him next to #97 or 29 and force him to focus on offense.

The only good thing about him being traded to the oilers is the oilers are hated on as much as the nucks. If he had gone to a likeable team this thread would be filled with Podz is gonna be a superstar 🤣
I ran into podz and his wife awhile back along with Klimovich and his wife and it's the first time since grade 7 I stuttered. Their wives are two of the prettiest chics I've ever seen in my life.
In all seriousness tho, I get the thought is to have him in the bottom six and while he can do it, it's a waste, he has a great shot and IQ and as a fan of his I was hoping he would get traded to a team that has the time to keep him in the top six and rebuild the confidence as well as break the habit of thinking defense all the time.
I still think in the right environment, especially a team that will put him at Centre he could still turn his game around. He's played Centre before and I think that would help unlock his game.
He may get the odd look during line shake ups, but the problem is there just isn't room for him in the top 6 unless he comes in a blows the doors off and they decide to try 3 scoring lines with McD-Drai-Nuge/Henrique down the middle. Last year he would have, but this is the best forward group the Oilers have ever had (even with Kane still injured) and the best wingers Draisaitl has ever had in the McDrai era.

He might get some opportunity with Henrique who isn't a bad consolation prize if you're not getting McDavid or Drai. Henrique's still a 2nd line quality centre.

He'll have to prove himself either way. There's going to be a decent amount of competition in the bottom 6 with Henrique, Janmark, and Brown occupying 3 spots, and Perry, Podkolzin, Philp, Savoie, Lavoie, and Jarventie fighting for spots. Those spots shrink to 2 when Kane comes back, so it's important he has a good training camp, preseason and start to the season.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

The Canucks pick guys at 10 who won't score? That explains a lot hahahaha!

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Let's fire up the time machine for this site and what was posted

If you search his name on this site there is about 15 pages where he is discussed

Believe it or not, things change over time.

All of these threads are from 2-5 years ago, he was picked roughly where he was supposed to go (he actually probably fell a bit), and the expectations were similar to any player picked at #10.

He wasn't able to put it together in Vancouver, maybe he figures it out in Edmonton, maybe he still gets waived and goes to play in San Jose. Vancouver has too much depth at FWD to let him sit in the press box for a few years.

The Canucks pick guys at 10 who won't score? That explains a lot hahahaha!

"Scoring forward" means a sniper

"Power forward" means someone who gets points by being physical and rushing the crease

Any forward taken in the top 10 was capable of scoring in junior, if they weren't, they wouldn't be taken in the top 10.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
"Scoring forward" means a sniper

"Power forward" means someone who gets points by being physical and rushing the crease

Any forward taken in the top 10 was capable of scoring in junior, if they weren't, they wouldn't be taken in the top 10.
LMAO! No one asks how. They only ask how many.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Podkolzin can play a heavy bottom six game for 1M per season for two years, then possibly beyond that, he'll be well worth the pick. If the Canucks have such a deep team at forward they could sacrifice him for a mid-round pick, good for them.

I'd love to have Kostin back if he was on a 1M contract. The chemistry was perfect but he outpriced himself. He doubled his salary now he has negative value.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i like this guy and cannot understand why he cannot hockey at the nhl level but have to admit that after repeated opportunities that seems to be the case.

i am torn between wishing bad things on the oilers and hoping he is not jack skille. hopefully oilers waive him someplace and i can cheer for him again.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i like this guy and cannot understand why he cannot hockey at the nhl level but have to admit that after repeated opportunities that seems to be the case.

i am torn between wishing bad things on the oilers and hoping he is not jack skille. hopefully oilers waive him someplace and i can cheer for him again.

I mean, he kind of is Jack Skille. He's the same mold, where he's got every tool to be an effective bottom-6 grinder if (or when) the Top-6 thing doesn't materialize for him. So in a lot of ways...he's actually kind of ahead of the curve compared to Skille, who took until very late in his career to learn that and adjust his game to play the way coaches actually wanted him to, since he wasn't nearly as skilled as his draft position would suggest.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think this was as a savvy pickup by the Oilers and I wish he had gone anywhere else.

I don't think he's suddenly going to score 30, but the guy hoping he becomes what Kostin was for you guys was barking up the right tree.

He's big, fast, tenacious, a good forechecker, and good at winning the puck battles and putting it into a better place than he found it.

Put him with a talented player on a lower line (let's say Nuge anchors the 3rd line) and he will help make him better against low competition and that's right now. He could still find the confidence he needs to make decisions with conviction and be even better.

That said, I understand the move. Our depth is better than Edmonton's and he had nowhere to likely play for us and wouldn't have cleared waivers.

Good luck to Podz in Oil country, but also f*** the Oilers of course :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad