Proposal: EDM/STL and EDM/TB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
To St. Louis:

RW Nail Yakupov
LD Griffin Reinhart
EDM 1st 2017

To Edmonton:

RD Kevin Shattenkirk

Reasoning: With no club in his preferred conference willing to pony up the assets that Blues management is seeking, Edmonton would be acquiring Shattenkirk as a pure rental. His value in this trade reflects that; a young roster forward with potential upside, a prospect defenceman with significant pedigree and an unprotected pick are all useful pieces to a team that is undergoing a bit of a refresh.

Before anyone objects, realize that the package presented here is very similar to the one that fetched Keith Yandle from Arizona in 2015. That the pieces might be lesser- Duclair looks to be a better player than Yakupov, and Reinhart needs to establish himself to be considered on par even with John Moore- is fair given that Yandle was traded with 1.5 years of service left. Edmonton, on the other hand, will only have Shattenkirk for 1.

To Tampa Bay:

RD Mark Fayne (20% retained)

To Edmonton:

C Valtteri Filppula
RD Dylan Blujus
RD Luke Witkowski

Reasoning: With the Lightning pressed right up to the cap and Kucherov yet to sign, something has to give. Tampa frees up $2M in space- just enough to squeak in both of their Russian RFAs- at the price of two young right-handers who have a clearer path to an NHL job in Edmonton. The Lightning have drafted and developed well, and can easily surrender such players thanks to Andrej Sustr, Nikita Nesterov, Slater Koekkoek, Jake Dotchin and Ben Thomas all either in the NHL or on the way there.

Edmonton, meanwhile, fetches a veteran Finnish center to anchor their third line and help countryman Jesse Puljujarvi acclimate to North America.

:edmonton

Milan Lucic-Connor McDavid-Jordan Eberle
Patrick Maroon-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Leon Draisaitl
Benoit Pouliot-Valteri Filppula-Jesse Puljujarvi
Matt Hendricks-Mark Letestu-Zack Kassian
Anton Lander Iiro Pakarinen

Andrej Sekera-Kevin Shattenkirk
Oscar Klefbom-Adam Larsson
Brandon Davidson-Dylan Blujus/Luke Witkowski/Matt Benning/PTO
Jordan Oesterle

Cam Talbot
Jonas Gustavsson

Cap- $4.5M

:blues

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Fabbri
Perron-Berglund-Yakupov
Upshall-Brodziak-Rattie/Jaskin
Ryan Reaves Magnus Paajarvi

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Edmundson-Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Allen
Hutton

Cap- $4.7M

:bolts

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Drouin-Stamkos-Killorn
Brown-Namestnikov-Callahan
Paquette-Boyle-Condra
Gabriel Dumont Joel Vermin

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Sustr
Nesterov-Coburn
Fayne

Bishop
Vasilevskiy

Cap: $219K

Last edited:

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Would prefer a top-6 center, and the defensive prospect really isnt that appealing of an asset for the Blues, but an unprotected 1st from Edmonton is huge. Personally, I would pack KS22's bags, drive him the airport and personally deliver him for that deal, but here's the thing--Doug Armstrong doesn't need to move him. He's going to want a return that helps the team this year--a quality top-6 roster player, or a quality NHL ready forward prospect. Of course Edmonton won't payna premium for a rental--and they shouldnt, because they have some more growing to do before they're ready to spend assets to compete. Meanwhile, other teams down the stretch may be driven by necessity to give up the value Armstrong is looking for.
So, with a little tweaking, yea, this might be close to fair value, but it's highly unlikely to twist Armstrong's arm.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I would be ok with these deals. It's been ten years, this city needs a competitive team. Have to hope Shatty would want to stay.
Have to think we'd be over the cap, no?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Would prefer a top-6 center, and the defensive prospect really isnt that appealing of an asset for the Blues, but an unprotected 1st from Edmonton is huge. Personally, I would pack KS22's bags, drive him the airport and personally deliver him for that deal, but here's the thing--Doug Armstrong doesn't need to move him. He's going to want a return that helps the team this year--a quality top-6 roster player, or a quality NHL ready forward prospect. Of course Edmonton won't payna premium for a rental--and they shouldnt, because they have some more growing to do before they're ready to spend assets to compete. Meanwhile, other teams down the stretch may be driven by necessity to give up the value Armstrong is looking for.
So, with a little tweaking, yea, this might be close to fair value, but it's highly unlikely to twist Armstrong's arm.

It's true that other teams might offer more, but then again, I don't see too many giving up roster players for Shattenkirk given that those teams will want to make the playoffs.

Maybe drop Reinhart, include Nurse, and add Barbashev from St. Louis?

(if Edmonton gets Shattenkirk, I don't see that 2017 1st being a top 10 pick...more like 15-20)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not interested in that trade from an Edmonton perspective. Too rich of a price to pay if he's here for year or less. Hypothetically we make that trade, he gets hurt ala Wizniewski and then we pay all of that out for ~1 game of a player? If I'm offering that up it's for a cup run (won't happen this season) or at least a guy that has a reasonable chance at re-signing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No interest from Tampa. We have over 6mil in space so we can get Kucherov signed. Filpulla is still an important piece and will only trade him if it's for someone who's contract expires this year can't take on salary for next year. I also wouldn't want to pay Fayne 2.5 to be our #7, would take either of the RD in the deal over him in that spot.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As a Blues fan, I would take it. Help fill a need on LD, RW, and a pick to bolster our farm system.

What LD need? He's not better then our current 3 LHD, and I'd argue Lindbohm would easily beat him for a spot. Our top LHD prospects have high ceilings. Reinhart is living on draft pedigree and would be a pure rebound project, just like Yakupov.

As for the deal, honestly it's not bad given the potential boom/bust aspect of it. It has more potential then the lackluster offers from the east on here. I still feel it's a low price for Shattenkirk but given his lack of interest in staying in Edmonton, it's an "ok" price.

If rumors are true, Army should have taken RNH....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Edmonton is interested in Filppula, I feel like there are simpler deals that could be done. Not sure if Flip would be interested in Edmonton though. Maybe, with the McDavid factor.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
If Edmonton is interested in Filppula, I feel like there are simpler deals that could be done. Not sure if Flip would be interested in Edmonton though. Maybe, with the McDavid factor.

Maybe he misses winters in Finland.
But obviously the best reason for him to waive would be because he shared Lucic’s opinion of the bright future for the Oilers with McDavid, which sure looks to be accurate, finally.
I agree with the OP’s assessment that Filppula would be a great fit and they could (unfortunately for us) get him way below value. But for Tampa it is all about cap space. Whatever piece comes back can’t be on the books next summer when they need cap to re-sign Palat, Drouin, and Johnson.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not interested in that trade from an Edmonton perspective. Too rich of a price to pay if he's here for year or less. Hypothetically we make that trade, he gets hurt ala Wizniewski and then we pay all of that out for ~1 game of a player? If I'm offering that up it's for a cup run (won't happen this season) or at least a guy that has a reasonable chance at re-signing.

It is not really a bad deal . If we can't convince Shattenkirk to sign at the trade deadline you move him and recover a good portion of what you gave up . Now one fan ask for Nurse and that would be a big NO .

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Laughably awful deal for Tampa. Not only no, but HELL no!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Laughably awful deal for Tampa. Not only no, but HELL no!

I agree as an Oiler fan . We don't touch this deal . It is not a question of who the better player is today . The problem is cap space and we can not afford to have 5 million tied up on the 3rd line . So no disrespect to the TBL player it just it does not work for Edmonton

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The St Louis deal is a ridiculous price to pay for a UFA. And the return could set the Blues up as a Western powerhouse for years if either or both of those 22-year-olds turns it around over the next couple seasons. Not to mention the rumours have pretty much been Shattenkirk heading East...

And the Tampa one is Filppula, who needs to be protected, so just no.

But what would it take to grab Blujus? He wouldn't be a bad guy to have in Bakersfield this year and is in his final waiver exempt year.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
The St Louis deal is a ridiculous price to pay for a UFA. And the return could set the Blues up as a Western powerhouse for years if either or both of those 22-year-olds turns it around over the next couple seasons. Not to mention the rumours have pretty much been Shattenkirk heading East...

It's not a ridiculous price to pay at all. Just look at what Yandle got for the Coyotes.... Duclair, Moore, a 1st, and a 2nd.... for basically Shattenkirk plus an extra couple months.

Reinhart and Yakupov are not exactly prized prospects at this point like Duclair. They've both got major question marks, and any hope that they'll fulfill their draft day potential is probably wishful thinking at best.

I don't hate the proposal, as Yakupov at least fulfills a positional need, but I'd probably rather just keep Shattenkirk for the year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It is not really a bad deal . If we can't convince Shattenkirk to sign at the trade deadline you move him and recover a good portion of what you gave up . Now one fan ask for Nurse and that would be a big NO .

Or he pulls an Ales Hemsky and gets hurt right before the deadline and we get Jack squat for him at the deadline. You don't deal our 1st unless we are in playoff contention at the deadline or you get a long term solution.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Shattenkirk wants to be in the East. He doesn't want to be in Western Canada, waste of our time.

Value is terrible for TBL in the 2nd proposal. Sorry Bolts fans.

Oct 18, 2011
two failed first rounders and a first for shattenkirk and by sending shattenkirk to EDM you are improving them.

seems bad for STL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad