Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Clearly, not everyone can see it. It actually baffles me how people who watch every single minute of every single game can come to the conclusion that he’s only been bad because of his partner.

Sure, it doesn’t help he’s paired with Ceci. But give me a break. There’s no chance you actually watch him bomb a five foot pass and ice the puck, blow his coverage or lose a board battle, lose a puck race in the corner, or screen his goalie and think to yourself “This is his partners fault!”

Lazy narrative.
Ceci isn't great, I don't think anyone would argue that, but Nurse is getting paid "Elevate your partner" money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Clearly, not everyone can see it. It actually baffles me how people who watch every single minute of every single game can come to the conclusion that he’s only been bad because of his partner.

Sure, it doesn’t help he’s paired with Ceci. But give me a break. There’s no chance you actually watch him bomb a five foot pass and ice the puck, blow his coverage or lose a board battle, lose a puck race in the corner, or screen his goalie and think to yourself “This is his partners fault!”

Lazy narrative.
There really aren't people saying that Nurse is playing great but brought down by his partner. It's mostly about accepting that it isn't working and trying to make our situation work. We can't move him, so maybe it's about trying different guys out there, and also dropping the idea that he can carry a bottom pairing level Dman (even a greatbone like Ceci). I actually had some hope when I saw Broberg and Kulak there. Those pairings were brought down by having Broberg and Kulak play on their weak side but the mobility helped (including elevating Nurse). So maybe have a mobile RD there, and preferably a proven top 4 talent, because Nurse isn't carrying anyone

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ceci isn't great, I don't think anyone would argue that, but Nurse is getting paid "Elevate your partner" money.

I think it's more like "you better figure out how to elevate me, because I'm not going anywhere" money now.

Bowman's biggest test. The test that could make this team into a pres trophy contender, or an issue that keeps making everything a pain in the butt for Knob for another half decade.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So there's a handful of stats that stand out with Emberson:

Only 6 pims in 30 games.
Only a -4 on one of the worst teams in the league.
94 hits in 30 games which is over 3 hits per game.

Nurse was the only defenseman on our team that had more than 2 hits per game on D with 2.07 hits/game.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

Lazy narrative.
Unfortunately, we have seasons worth of GDT threads that usually comment on those issues. Pick a season…pick a game ….and there it is!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I mean that's pretty good but he probably only played each once last season since they are in the East and he only played 30 games. I like that the coaching staff trusted him in that role though assuming that he was being hard matched against them.
If he managed to get that much against each of those in 1 game each, that would be impressive that his coach was hard matching that much.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He'd be +1 if he didnt play those teams.
We all know what it's like for players to play big minutes on a shit team when playing good teams. I wish NHL.com still had the splits against teams, divisions, etc. I wonder how much he played against other top players in the league and how he did against them?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We all know what it's like for players to play big minutes on a shit team when playing good teams. I wish NHL.com still had the splits against teams, divisions, etc. I wonder how much he played against other top players in the league and how he did against them?
I think hockey-reference lets you do splits like that, but it doesnt break it down into who they're playing.

We also know from being in the decade of darkness, just because you play on a bad team, doesn't mean you're a bad player.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean that's pretty good but he probably only played each once last season since they are in the East and he only played 30 games. I like that the coaching staff trusted him in that role though assuming that he was being hard matched against them.
Absolutely, I'm not counting on anything, but his season last year was quite good on a horrendous team, so I think he might be able to carve out a spot here.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Looks like he’d have no problem playing 3rd pairing and killing penalties. Our top pair is one of the top pairs in the league, 3rd pair with Emberson and Kulak could be very decent for under 4M…that 2nd pair is TBD though.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You can find this on Natural Stat Trick.

Search Ty Emberson Natural Stat Trick.

In the tabs set the years you are interested in then choose
5 vs 5 : One Ice : Counts: Opposition

Or you can use the "line tool" to see how he did against individual teams or individual players. For example vs Toronto and the specifically vs Mathews:

Note: Line Tool requires you to list two players on the original team. If you want to only see one guy you have to list his name twice.

In the later link it looks like he was on the ice for roughly half of Mathews shifts.

Hockey Reference has a pretty good splits section:

It is year by year. One advantage of Natural Stat Trick is that you can for free get cumulative data for a three year period. I like this because I have always tended to use three years as my generic averaging time frame.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You can find this on Natural Stat Trick.

Search Ty Emberson Natural Stat Trick.

In the tabs set the years you are interested in then choose
5 vs 5 : One Ice : Counts: Opposition

Or you can use the "line tool" to see how he did against individual teams or individual players. For example vs Toronto and the specifically vs Mathews:

Note: Line Tool requires you to list two players on the original team. If you want to only see one guy you have to list his name twice.

In the later link it looks like he was on the ice for roughly half of Mathews shifts.

Hockey Reference has a pretty good splits section:

It is year by year. One advantage of Natural Stat Trick is that you can for free get cumulative data for a three year period. I like this because I have always tended to use three years as my generic averaging time frame.
Does this mean he did well against AM? I am old and can't read charts like this. I can barely operate a bank card.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Does this mean he did well against AM? I am old and can't read charts like this. I can barely operate a bank card.
They kind of got chewed-up in terms of possession but they only gave up one goal and one high danger scoring chance. It seems though the whole team got chew-up pretty bad by that line in those games.

In a way it is more about the team trusting him with the assignment than the numbers in such a small sample size.

Reactions: gordonhught

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
One goal every 15/16 minutes roughly equals to 4 goals every 60 minutes of play. That's not particularly good or remarkable even against the NHL's elite as that photo is making it out to be. It's also dumb to evaluate a player's performance against that competition in such a low sample size anyway.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad