Proposal: [EDM/NYR] Nurse for Buchnevich

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, okay, I totally overvalued Buchnevich. It's not that I want to ship Nurse out or don't see him as a valuable player. I thought Buchnevich had solid potential as a 1B winger and would be a really good fit on a line with McDavid with 65-70pt potential.

My bad, folks.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Wow, okay, I totally overvalued Buchnevich. It's not that I want to ship Nurse out or don't see him as a valuable player. I thought Buchnevich had solid potential as a 1B winger and would be a really good fit on a line with McDavid with 65-70pt potential.

My bad, folks.

Probably a little bit high, but he absolutely has 60+ point potential. He's just been a bit inconsistent in his play.

Value straight across favors the Rangers but it's not as far off as some people would like to think. Two guys of similar age who are still struggling to find consistency and hit the level that people thought they would hit. Buchnevich is also on a cheaper contract and will be a RFA when his deal expires, as opposed to Nurse being a UFA.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The precise value of either is moot here b'c it is not a fit.

As noted by others herein, NY needs to move Buch for futures.

The only deal w/Oil at present is Broberg, partly b'c he is exp exempt.

We can talk about a base of
Buch + Howden [lots of speed, would be awesome w/AA and McDavid]
+ the CAR 2020 1st pick
for
Neal [cap dump] + Broberg

we expose Neal at draft/options to buy out/trade incl Kraken
either way
Neal is short term
Buch exiting rfa years soon after current deal expires next season only 3.25 is longer term.

Do not want Nurse.

Bern... leave Broberg alone.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

My bad, folks.

I've always hated the concept of "Would be a good fit with McDavid/Drai".

AA is a prime of example of this not panning out. Before he was trade to the Oilers, that was a common line based on speed and we all saw how that worked. The player needs to have stand alone value instead of potential value with McDavid or Drai.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oilers say no but funny Buch getting crapped on in this thread.
Anyway, Rangers have to be patient they have 3 legit LHD coming up in their prospect pool.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

+ the CAR 2020 1st pick
for

either way
Neal is short term
Buch exiting rfa years soon after current deal expires next season only 3.25 is longer term.

Do not want Nurse.

For someone who keeps posting wanting Broberg you sure aren’t offering up anything enticing.

Think of it this way. What would it take for you move Broberg if your Rangers had him and we came calling you for him?

No Buch++ for Broberg

we’d want Broberg+ for Kakko

Last edited:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Can tell that a lot of people in this thread did not watch Buch very much this season. He had a very solid 2nd half and is clearly coming into his own. If he's not traded, it'll be a pleasure to see him shine this up coming season.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

+ the CAR 2020 1st pick
for

either way
Neal is short term

Do not want Nurse.

I actually don’t mind this deal, and I’m a huge Broberg fan. No doubt, we could easily lose this trade if Broberg becomes a Hampus Lindholm caliber player (which is a fair projection), but I think that’s still 2 years away at the very earliest.

I think Buch could slot in on one wing alongside McDavid. Howden still has upside and could be a 3C with further development. The pick would be around 24th OA, could flip that + B prospect to target a cap casualty - maybe Schwartz in St.Louis if they’re clearing space to re-sign Pietrangelo?

I would be very happy with a top 6 next year of:

Schwartz-McD-Buch
Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto

And the only thing we’ve subtracted from the current roster is James Neal?

Sign me up.

Reactions: bernmeister

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As a Rangers fan, I'd do this deal.

If we took out AA would Buch + Georgiev for Nurse be closer to the type of deal needed to land Nurse?

Oilers fans are very confused right now and outside of McDavid and Drai we have no idea how this organization values anyone.

We were told a week into camp that Philip Broberg had "passed" Bouchard on the depth chart, even though they don't play on the same side of the ice.

We signed Kassian to 4X3.2, and the scribes praised his heart and drive, only for him to completely no-show the playoffs.

We get told that Smith is better than Koskinen, because Smith "Battles", even though there's a 15 point difference in their save percentages.

John Shannon said yesterday that Caleb Jones "really struggled" against the Blackhawks, even though he tilted the ice so overwhelmingly positively he broke the damn scale.

Fans would probably consider your deal, but the Mouth of Sauron (Bob Stauffer, employed by the Oilers, hosts a two hour radio show every weekday about the Oilers, and routinely has his opinions provided to him by the organization which he then parrots on the radio) had something along these lines to say yesterday:

"If Nurse continues to grow, maybe we'll be talking about him as a Hall of Fame defenceman".

This is clearly insane, but it might give some insight as to how the Oilers see Nurse.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For someone who keeps posting wanting Broberg you sure aren’t offering up anything enticing.

Think of it this way. What would it take for you move Broberg if your Rangers had him and we came calling you for him?

No Buch++ for Broberg

we’d want Broberg+ for Kakko
Thank you for the clear clarification.
As noted below, your vote represents several, but it is not monolithic with one voice.
We are not moving Kakko even if you add.

It is a fair ? to ask if the shoe is on the proverbial other foot, what would I ask for?
The answer is not in a vacuum, it depends.
- current status of D corp, including LDs
- other imminent prospects/knocking on the door and if knocking how far away
- balance of team situation
- what do Oil have to offer?

Some questions can do a simplified answer; some cannot.

While I appreciate those who in good faith want to upgrade NYR LD, and improve Oiler W/cap, we are not making any stupid moves that screw us short term w/the exp dr.
Cap is another question entirely that we may/may not be able to accommodate.

Disagree this is not even remotely close to a guy who is 8OA and w/elcs but unproven.
Note the flip side of the coin expressed below...

I actually don’t mind this deal, and I’m a huge Broberg fan. No doubt, we could easily lose this trade if Broberg becomes a Hampus Lindholm caliber player (which is a fair projection), but I think that’s still 2 years away at the very earliest.

I think Buch could slot in on one wing alongside McDavid. Howden still has upside and could be a 3C with further development. The pick would be around 24th OA, could flip that + B prospect to target a cap casualty - maybe Schwartz in St.Louis if they’re clearing space to re-sign Pietrangelo?

I would be very happy with a top 6 next year of:

Schwartz-McD-Buch
Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto

And the only thing we’ve subtracted from the current roster is James Neal?

Sign me up.

May I emphasize NYR do not want Neal, but this is a concession to give you instant cap, a balance if you will for the elc exp drft exempt contract.

Anything REASONABLE along those lines can work, open to small modifications if that floats your boat a bit.

Oilers fans are very confused right now and outside of McDavid and Drai we have no idea how this organization values anyone.

We were told a week into camp that Philip Broberg had "passed" Bouchard on the depth chart, even though they don't play on the same side of the ice.

We signed Kassian to 4X3.2, and the scribes praised his heart and drive, only for him to completely no-show the playoffs.

We get told that Smith is better than Koskinen, because Smith "Battles", even though there's a 15 point difference in their save percentages.

John Shannon said yesterday that Caleb Jones "really struggled" against the Blackhawks, even though he tilted the ice so overwhelmingly positively he broke the damn scale.

Fans would probably consider your deal, but the Mouth of Sauron (Bob Stauffer, employed by the Oilers, hosts a two hour radio show every weekday about the Oilers, and routinely has his opinions provided to him by the organization which he then parrots on the radio) had something along these lines to say yesterday:

"If Nurse continues to grow, maybe we'll be talking about him as a Hall of Fame defenceman".

This is clearly insane, but it might give some insight as to how the Oilers see Nurse.

Insightful and informative.
You have my sympathies.

That said, in this instance, we should be able to collaborate.
You have ample LD, but NY only interested in Broberg. If you deal him, you take away from your reserve, but you are not subtracting from current roster (as @Roof Daddy noted).
Buch is a productive add, and Neal a productive subtract.
Howden likely good enough to make the 7 you keep protected for exp drt.

Anyhoo, would love to nail this down with consensus one way or the other so I know how other deals may proceed.

Oiler nation, pls advise, but let's do a new thread.
No hijacking.
This one is still Buch/+ for Nurse/+

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I was the Oilers I'd hope for a better return because of Nurse's perceived value. That said, if this was the best deal out there for him I'd pull the trigger. Buchnevich is a young top 6 two way winger with upside. And the Oilers save 2.5m in cap.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

If the Oilers see it this way it would indicate to me that your new management group doesn't have a lot more player insight than your former one. Scary thought. Anyone who watches him regularly should be able to see this is a 2nd pairing defenseman on a competitive club.

On your media coverage: It seems to me the Oilers are hated irrationally by the national media. Every semi-negative story gets tons of play. Conversely, the local media are a bunch of fanboys and seem beholden to the organization. That is happening more and more in the real world too, but seeing it in sports is odd.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If I was the Oilers I'd hope for a better return because of Nurse's perceived value. That said, if this was the best deal out there for him I'd pull the trigger. Buchnevich is a young top 6 two way winger with upside. And the Oilers save 2.5m in cap.

Sad as it is, I'm also a little concerned about him not being given a fair shot due to his nationality, to say nothing about what the doddering group of barely functional idiots that compromises our sports media would spew into print about an Enigmatic Russian that they traded a Good Canadian Boy from Hamilton for.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sad as it is, I'm also a little concerned about him not being given a fair shot due to his nationality, to say nothing about what the doddering group of barely functional idiots that compromises our sports media would spew into print about an Enigmatic Russian that they traded a Good Canadian Boy from Hamilton for.
This is a problem. The Russian bias exists for sure. Doesn't seem to effect Swedes or Finns, but this exists in Calgary too. There are some barriers for European players as you've seen with JP's inability to communicate effectively in English. But Buchnevich speaks the language and is a better player than most people realize.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad