Value of: Edm-Nyi Edm-Van

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Obviously oilers need some more muscle, atleast 1 dman and a goalie

What would be needed to add to this offer as well as what would vancouver want for luke schenn?

To Edm
Varlamov
Clutterbuck(purely as a rental for this year and resign with nyi in off season i know how well liked he is but id think isles if they could capitalize on getting a couple assets back for a couples months away from the team)

To NYI
Kosk(for cap reasons)
Turris
22 1st
23 2nd
B Prospect

Obviously oilers would need to make another trade with another team to make cap work someone like kassian would work. Nyi get a couple expiring contracts and rid of varlamov's 5m i know hes not hated or is a bad contract, because its better to have 2 good goalies than just one but sorokin is the future and creates more cap space for them to try and bounce back next season.

Then im guessing for schenn he could be had for a 3rd rounder?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Then im guessing for schenn he could be had for a 3rd rounder?
Yes. Schenn has played well but we are not tied to him. I think I read somewhere that there has been interest in Schenn, and Canucks are willing to part with him. I'd be happy with a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yes. Schenn has played well but we are not tied to him. I think I read somewhere that there has been interest in Schenn, and Canucks are willing to part with him. I'd be happy with a 3rd rounder.

I'd want to start a bidding war, but if that's the best offer, I'm not against it, as much as I like Schenn and his play for us so far.

Reactions: elitepete

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Schenn has been amazing for us and fits like a glove with Hughes but for a 3rd I'd trade him. Anything less its prob not worth it

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Deal

I don't even care if they have to take on Turris and Koskinens salaries, the picks make it worth it

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
No thanks! The price is too high. Islanders will have to clear cap in the offseason anways

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Deal

I don't even care if they have to take on Turris and Koskinens salaries, the picks make it worth it
Look at Turris’ stats the last 2 years. This trade is just a cap dump and a half for Edmonton. Turris is another guy who will be a Palmieri 2.0.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Look at Turris’ stats the last 2 years. This trade is just a cap dump and a half for Edmonton. Turris is another guy who will be a Palmieri 2.0.
Yes, the trade is a dump on salary for this year while adding picks and a prospect for a UFA and a goalie who has 1 year left on his deal. Whether you're for it or not, I'm not sure why pointing out the stats from Kyle Turris the last 2 years is important here?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Only until the end of the season though. Both Edmonton's guys are UFAs so the Isles clear some space.

I heard one Oilers insider point out that Varlamov is the only Russian veteran on the team to help Sorokin out with stuff. So I Don think he gets moved. Not smart to isolate your young star goalie

Reactions: Ragdoll and miscs75

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yes, the trade is a dump on salary for this year while adding picks and a prospect for a UFA and a goalie who has 1 year left on his deal. Whether you're for it or not, I'm not sure why pointing out the stats from Kyle Turris the last 2 years is important here?
The trade was basically a 2022 1st plus some fluff for a starting goalie (still under contract) and quality bottom 6 forward. The fluff part of the trade can be adjusted. The Islanders don’t need another roster player in Turris that will basically be more useless offensively then Ross Johnston, Matt Martin and Austin Czarnik. As for the B prospect, are we talking a forward or defenseman? The Islanders are bare bones offensively when it comes to prospects.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Only until the end of the season though. Both Edmonton's guys are UFAs so the Isles clear some space.

I heard one Oilers insider point out that Varlamov is the only Russian veteran on the team to help Sorokin out with stuff. So I Don think he gets moved. Not smart to isolate your young star goalie
The issue comes into play that you’re basically freeing up space by removing something that wasn’t a need and making it another glaring hole moving forward. The cap space is great and all but I’d rather just keep Varlamov and Clutterbuck if the replacement is barely a bottom 6 forward and AHL goalie.
As for the 2nd part, I don’t think Varlamov gets moved yet either simply because he’s still a quality goalie as well as the Russian factor. No need to move him for the sole point of cap space when it isn’t an issue for this offseason.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If you had to deal with that for a bottom 6 guy just to get two picks, both of which still hold value, you still do it. Turris also has ONE year left btw

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If you had to deal with that for a bottom 6 guy just to get two picks, both of which still hold value, you still do it. Turris also has ONE year left btw
It’s a bottom 6 guy AND a starting goalie technically. It all depends on who the prospect is with the picks. If it’s another Koivula/Aho/career AHLer who might make the team as a 13f after an amazing camp, not worth it. If the prospect is basically an NHL ready guy who can produce at the AHL level and isn’t the same size as Yamamoto, then it’s possibly an interesting deal. It also waivers on if Sorokin is ready for a 55/27 split with a backup (Skarek) come next season. If he’s not ready, it’s not worth it with the goalie market next year who’s best option is Greiss.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It’s a bottom 6 guy AND a starting goalie technically. It all depends on who the prospect is with the picks. If it’s another Koivula/Aho/career AHLer who might make the team as a 13f after an amazing camp, not worth it. If the prospect is basically an NHL ready guy who can produce at the AHL level and isn’t the same size as Yamamoto, then it’s possibly an interesting deal. It also waivers on if Sorokin is ready for a 55/27 split with a backup (Skarek) come next season. If he’s not ready, it’s not worth it with the goalie market next year who’s best option is Greiss.
You can trust Korn/Grecco over who coaches goalies in Edmonton, right?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You can trust Korn/Grecco over who coaches goalies in Edmonton, right?
With Skarek? Yes. With watching Koskinen giving up 3+ goals a game costing the Islanders wins? Not a chance. It all weights on who the prospect is honestly. A forward would be of need since they have enough blue line talent in the pipeline that’s borderline NHL ready between Salo, Hutton, Bolduc and possibly even Wilde when/if he comes back.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
With Skarek? Yes. With watching Koskinen giving up 3+ goals a game costing the Islanders wins? Not a chance. It all weights on who the prospect is honestly. A forward would be of need since they have enough blue line talent in the pipeline that’s borderline NHL ready between Salo, Hutton, Bolduc and possibly even Wilde when/if he comes back.
Given what OP said, I think that the B list guy would probably be on the lines of Cooper Marody or someone who will never get called up in Edmonton (that finnish defenseman samukarov?)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Given what OP said, I think that the B list guy would probably be on the lines of Cooper Marody or someone who will never get called up in Edmonton (that finnish defenseman samukarov?)
Not worth it for another guy who won’t get called up here either. It’s like the Palmieri/Zajac for a 2021 1st and career minor leaguers all over again.

Last edited:

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
This was discussed in another Varly to EDM thread.

NYI fans wanted a 1st+ if Koski was coming back as many didn't see the need to shed cap in the offseason.

Most EDM fans think a 1st+ is too expensive.

I would tend to agree.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park

Yeah if thats the case then varly is out as an option but okay so what about the benson for schenn deal then obviously deal barrie elsewhere. Then with schenn he can secure bottom pair d and add a touch of offense with some toughness

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah if thats the case then varly is out as an option but okay so what about the benson for schenn deal then obviously deal barrie elsewhere. Then with schenn he can secure bottom pair d and add a touch of offense with some toughness

I'm fine with Benson for Schenn, only because Benson isn't going to get a shot beyond "healthy scratch, occasionally get in the lineup" in Edmonton. I think we need to have a Barrie move in place first though, which could be tricky, as the teams most likely to be interested in Barrie won't be looking for him until the summer. Teams like New Jersey and possibly Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad