Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kassian signs extension with Oilers (4 years, $3.2M AAV)

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Just a question, how can you hold a trade request from Kassian against him when the last coach wasn't giving him anything other than 4th line minutes, but are okay with trying to mend fences with Pulujarvi who also asked for a trade and has publicly stated he doesn't want to be here.
I'm not holding it against him at all. Like you say, I'd even take Jesse back.

I'm pointing out that no one wanted him a year ago when he was younger, had less term and caphit. He was just as fast last year with those same hands and size. The only major difference between this year and the last 10 is who he's playing with. We don't need to overpay guys to play with McDavid.

The fact he's been bottom 6 for a decade also says a lot about what he is. He is in fact a bottom 6 player, an excellent one but he's on our first line and he just got a 4 year contract and raise on a very small sample size. I have a decade of proof to suggest he's a 20 to 30 point guy that belongs in the bottom 6. He didn't improve, his linemate changed.

We can go on forever... I"m totally okay ending this one. Do we agree that our views are:

You: Kassian is a Top 6 player with great speed, size, hands, grit and a reasonable contract and we're lucky to have him locked up till he's 33.
Me: Kassian is a career bottom 6 player and shouldn't be in the Top 6 on any playoff bound NHL team. His career year is because of Connor. If you remove him from Connor, his stats will get considerably worse. Connor's stats will not get worse at all. He'll be getting paid over 3 million to play in our bottom 6 for a good chunk of that 4 year contract.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Kassian is a career bottom 6 player and shouldn't be in the Top 6 on any playoff bound NHL team. His career year is because of Connor. If you remove him from Connor, his stats will get considerably worse. Connor's stats will not get worse at all. He'll be getting paid over 3 million to play in our bottom 6 for a good chunk of that 4 year contract.

He's not being paid as a top 6 player though.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Who do you think McDavid and Draisaitl feel more confident in playing with when the going gets rough down the stretch in key games and into the playoffs: Kassian, Archibald or Chiasson? Even if he's not playing on their line, do you not think they'd rather have him in the lineup? How many guys have Kassian's mix of toughness, fighting, hitting, forechecking, and skating ability, plus the knack for contributing offensively? He's no star player, and that's why he didn't get paid 6+ million per year salary.

How much do you think he's worth? Is he just utter trash and useless to you? Trying to nail down your position on this.
2 X 2 and in bottom 6. That's what I think he's worth. He'd be 31 at the end of that contract and easily tradeable if we needed to. I was more than happy to wait till after July 1st as well. I do see a big difference between Top 6 and bottom 6 players. To me, Kassian is simply not a Top 6 guy (nor is Neal anymore) and will not evolve into one in his 30's. If McDavid got hurt, Kassian's scoring would plummet. If Kassian got hurt, McDavid would just keep scoring.

I agree that Drai/McD are happy he's on the team but the team has 12 forwards. I'm not sure they are thrilled he is at 1RW. I'm sure Connor wouldn't be upset if he was replaced with a higher skilled player. Are you happy with him in our Top 6 for the next 4 years? Or, are you happy with him in our bottom 6 making over 3 million for 4 more years?

For instance, Gagner is one of my fav Oiler's of all time and I'm a huge fan of him in bottom 6 but not for the money he's making.

Are you enjoying Chiasson in the bottom 6 with a 2 year contract? He went from PTO to a 2 year contract... same thing, played with Connor and then we overpaid him cap and term as well. He didn't get worse this season, he's just not getting top 6 minutes with Connor and Drai. I noticed, despite a 20 goal season and a Cup, that he went past July 1st... he tested the market and came back here.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not holding it against him at all. Like you say, I'd even take Jesse back.

I'm pointing out that no one wanted him a year ago when he was younger, had less term and caphit. He was just as fast last year with those same hands and size. The only major difference between this year and the last 10 is who he's playing with. We don't need to overpay guys to play with McDavid.

The fact he's been bottom 6 for a decade also says a lot about what he is. He is in fact a bottom 6 player, an excellent one but he's on our first line and he just got a 4 year contract and raise on a very small sample size. I have a decade of proof to suggest he's a 20 to 30 point guy that belongs in the bottom 6. He didn't improve, his linemate changed.

We can go on forever... I"m totally okay ending this one. Do we agree that our views are:

You: Kassian is a Top 6 player with great speed, size, hands, grit and a reasonable contract and we're lucky to have him locked up till he's 33.
Me: Kassian is a career bottom 6 player and shouldn't be in the Top 6 on any playoff bound NHL team. His career year is because of Connor. If you remove him from Connor, his stats will get considerably worse. Connor's stats will not get worse at all. He'll be getting paid over 3 million to play in our bottom 6 for a good chunk of that 4 year contract.

How do you know that nobody wanted him exactly? Just because he wanted a trade and his agent was looking around doesn't mean that other teams were willing to pay Edmonton's asking price.

My position is that Kassian is a valuable player who has shown he can succeed on any line, and has a unique combination of size/physicality, speed, and overall offensive skills. I would have preferred a 3 year contract over a 4, but with a 3 we would have had to pay more. I will even concede that without Connor, Kassian's stats would be much worse. That's common sense, there are probably a dozen players at most whose numbers wouldn't drop if taken off McDavid's line. You must then admit that some of Kassian's career offensive output to date is likely due to the fact that he was playing with slugs in my opinion. You also need to concede that 3 million for a productive winger to play with McDavid is a good salary, and when he is with Conner, Kassian is productive.

Overall, if we would have let him ask around this summer, we would have either lost Kassian or had to pay him even more to match other offers, and then who do we have to play with McDavid on the right side? Archibald? No guarantees that he is back next year. Chaisson? He's been garbage with Connor since last Christmas. A free agent? Then we're paying more than we're paying Kass.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
2 X 2 and in bottom 6. That's what I think he's worth. He'd be 31 at the end of that contract and easily tradeable if we needed to. I was more than happy to wait till after July 1st as well. I do see a big difference between Top 6 and bottom 6 players. To me, Kassian is simply not a Top 6 guy (nor is Neal anymore) and will not evolve into one in his 30's. If McDavid got hurt, Kassian's scoring would plummet. If Kassian got hurt, McDavid would just keep scoring.

I agree that Drai/McD are happy he's on the team but the team has 12 forwards. I'm not sure they are thrilled he is at 1RW. I'm sure Connor wouldn't be upset if he was replaced with a higher skilled player. Are you happy with him in our Top 6 for the next 4 years? Or, are you happy with him in our bottom 6 making over 3 million for 4 more years?

For instance, Gagner is one of my fav Oiler's of all time and I'm a huge fan of him in bottom 6 but not for the money he's making.

Are you enjoying Chiasson in the bottom 6 with a 2 year contract? He went from PTO to a 2 year contract... same thing, played with Connor and then we overpaid him cap and term as well. He didn't get worse this season, he's just not getting top 6 minutes with Connor and Drai. I noticed, despite a 20 goal season and a Cup, that he went past July 1st... he tested the market and came back here.

Chaisson is different and you know it. When Chaisson isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything useful. At least Kassian is a good penalty killer and can play a solid role on a 3rd line. Chaisson was a bad signing because he is a one dimensional player who isn't that good at that one dimension. Kassian is far more rounded.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Chaisson is different and you know it. When Chaisson isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything useful. At least Kassian is a good penalty killer and can play a solid role on a 3rd line. Chaisson was a bad signing because he is a one dimensional player who isn't that good at that one dimension. Kassian is far more rounded.
He came on a PTO, got on Connor/Drai line, had a career year and got a 2 year contract as a reward for being a '20 goal scorer'. It is extremely comparable to Kassian who got on Connor's line, will get 20 goals (over 40 points) and got rewarded with an overpay and too long a term.

Similar age, similar draft pedigree (late first round, early 2nd), similar points throughout their career, similar spike when on Connor's line.

They're both bottom 6 players. To be honest, I'd love them on the third line together.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How do you know that nobody wanted him exactly? Just because he wanted a trade and his agent was looking around doesn't mean that other teams were willing to pay Edmonton's asking price.

My position is that Kassian is a valuable player who has shown he can succeed on any line, and has a unique combination of size/physicality, speed, and overall offensive skills. I would have preferred a 3 year contract over a 4, but with a 3 we would have had to pay more. I will even concede that without Connor, Kassian's stats would be much worse. That's common sense, there are probably a dozen players at most whose numbers wouldn't drop if taken off McDavid's line. You must then admit that some of Kassian's career offensive output to date is likely due to the fact that he was playing with slugs in my opinion. You also need to concede that 3 million for a productive winger to play with McDavid is a good salary, and when he is with Conner, Kassian is productive.

Overall, if we would have let him ask around this summer, we would have either lost Kassian or had to pay him even more to match other offers, and then who do we have to play with McDavid on the right side? Archibald? No guarantees that he is back next year. Chaisson? He's been garbage with Connor since last Christmas. A free agent? Then we're paying more than we're paying Kass.
There s almost 0 chance you would get a player with Kassian's skill set as a UFA for $2M. Without McDavid he is at the very least a solid third line winger. But he has the skill to also play with skill which makes him versatile. Add in his physical assets and my guess is that he is at worst $500K over paid on his deal.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

What you think he is worth and what he would sign in Edmonton or the open market are two different things. Also, what they signed him for is market value. Players of his ilk command what he signed for. I am more worried about what they are going to do with Nurse. A few hundred thousand on Kassian may not be great, but if Nurse gets $7 or whatever, that is going to hurt.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
What you think he is worth and what he would sign in Edmonton or the open market are two different things. Also, what they signed him for is market value. Players of his ilk command what he signed for. I am more worried about what they are going to do with Nurse. A few hundred thousand on Kassian may not be great, but if Nurse gets $7 or whatever, that is going to hurt.
It's the other major divider amongst Oil fans. I'm all for a Nurse exension and expect it to be a combo of 6's and 7's.

Don't forget about Bear too.

Also, I was asked directly what I thought he was worth. I was answering a direct question.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
There s almost 0 chance you would get a player with Kassian's skill set as a UFA for $2M. Without McDavid he is at the very least a solid third line winger. But he has the skill to also play with skill which makes him versatile. Add in his physical assets and my guess is that he is at worst $500K over paid on his deal.
His skillset is bottom 6 ... we already have a team with lots of bottom 6 guys making less than that. They're available every year. Without McDavid he is a career 25 point guy.

Agreed on the $500K.. Eg. I said 2 million, he got 3.2... so a fair comprimise could've been 2.7. However, 4 years? This contract will not age well.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It's the other major divider amongst Oil fans. I'm all for a Nurse exension and expect it to be a combo of 6's and 7's.

Don't forget about Bear too.

Also, I was asked directly what I thought he was worth. I was answering a direct question.
Decent 3rd liners get $3M. I don't see how you came up with your number....
lebowski-opinion1.jpg

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We must not have any decent bottom 6 guys then because no one in our bottom 6 is paid like that except Gagner and that contract was so bad it landed poor Sam in the Marlies for a season.

Kassian is the 5th highest paid forward on our team going into next year.

Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

well... yeah. Our third line has been the weak part of this team by far.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I would have given Patty Maroon the same deal to stick around and play with Connor, if that means anything.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I would have given Patty Maroon the same deal to stick around and play with Connor, if that means anything.
According to rishaug chia had an extension offer between 3-3.5 mil and 3 years on the table from the summer going into his last year right up to the deadline when he was dealt and he turned it down.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
We must not have any decent bottom 6 guys then because no one in our bottom 6 is paid like that except Gagner and that contract was so bad it landed poor Sam in the Marlies for a season.

And what does everyone always say about the Oilers? Outside of mcdavid, draisaitl and rnh the forwards suck. So that all checks out.

Fact is kassian is infinitely more useful than chiasson simply because he is a much better skater and even if he isn't scoring can still play a game that chiasson can't. Seriously if chiasson was quicker out there he'd be a really useful guy, but he is too often a step late. Neal took his job as the slow finisher on the team. Kassian is the crazy big guy who can move.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
And what does everyone always say about the Oilers? Outside of mcdavid, draisaitl and rnh the forwards suck. So that all checks out.

Fact is kassian is infinitely more useful than chiasson simply because he is a much better skater and even if he isn't scoring can still play a game that chiasson can't. Seriously if chiasson was quicker out there he'd be a really useful guy, but he is too often a step late. Neal took his job as the slow finisher on the team. Kassian is the crazy big guy who can move.

I wouldn't sign any of them for 4 more years if they were UFA this July.

I've been complaining forever that we only have a Top 3... but I think Yamamoto is making a case that we have a legit Top 4 now. Benson was taking reps with the bottom 6 guys so it doesn't look like he's going to get a real look.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He came on a PTO, got on Connor/Drai line, had a career year and got a 2 year contract as a reward for being a '20 goal scorer'. It is extremely comparable to Kassian who got on Connor's line, will get 20 goals (over 40 points) and got rewarded with an overpay and too long a term.

Similar age, similar draft pedigree (late first round, early 2nd), similar points throughout their career, similar spike when on Connor's line.

They're both bottom 6 players. To be honest, I'd love them on the third line together.
Chaisson had a career half year, and fell apart after Christmas. His contract was bad before the ink dried. Kassian is not comparable, he has been more productive with Connor than Chaisson was (Chaisson got a lot of PP points, Kassian gets no PP time).

And again you neglect everything that you can't read on a stats page. Chaisson is useless away from Connor. Kassian can play with Connor, can play PK, can play a bottom six role effectively, and is an intimidating precense out there. All of those things are reasons why he is a far more valuable piece than Chaisson is.

And there is no way Kassian only signs for 2 million this summer if he hits the open market. Zero chance.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Yeah, we don't have a decent third liner on the team aside from Kassian (and he's playing top line due to chemistry with McDavid) and if he was more consistent, Sheahan. It's been a number of years since our 3rd line wasn't comprised of 4th line players actually.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, we don't have a decent third liner on the team aside from Kassian (and he's playing top line due to chemistry with McDavid) and if he was more consistent, Sheahan. It's been a number of years since our 3rd line wasn't comprised of 4th line players actually.
One week after his contract extension for 4 years and Kassian is on line 3:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Archibald-McDavid-Gagner<br>RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto <br>Khaira-Sheahan-Kassian<br>Benson-Haas-Chiasson<br><br>Benson plays first NHL game. Gagner gets a bump up.<br><br>Nurse-Bear<br>Klefbom-Larsson<br>Lagesson-Benning <br><br>Lagesson gets back in. Needed to get a game. <br><br>Koskinen</p>&mdash; Jason Gregor (@JasonGregor) <a href="">February 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Thought I'd check in on Kassian's first 5 games since signing his 4 year, 13 million dollar contract on January 29th.

upload_2020-2-7_10-3-46.png

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
One week after his contract extension for 4 years and Kassian is on line 3:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Archibald-McDavid-Gagner<br>RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto <br>Khaira-Sheahan-Kassian<br>Benson-Haas-Chiasson<br><br>Benson plays first NHL game. Gagner gets a bump up.<br><br>Nurse-Bear<br>Klefbom-Larsson<br>Lagesson-Benning <br><br>Lagesson gets back in. Needed to get a game. <br><br>Koskinen</p>&mdash; Jason Gregor (@JasonGregor) <a href="">February 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So? You think Gagner is on the top line for long? Tippett mixes his lines regularly. Kassian will be back to the top line sooner than later. He had his worst game of the year against Arizona, so I'd bump him back as a kick in the butt too.

Reactions: TFHockey

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
So? You think Gagner is on the top line for long? Tippett mixes his lines regularly. Kassian will be back to the top line sooner than later. He had his worst game of the year against Arizona, so I'd bump him back as a kick in the butt too.
upload_2020-2-9_13-38-6.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad