Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Adam Henrique re-signs with the Oilers (2 years, $3M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This is fantastic for oilers and oiler fans.

But this has to mean Kane is gone.
They really cant shred the defence.

Ekholm Bouch
Nurse Broberg
Kulak Brown

Its the worst NHL player on the right side. Superthin with no depth

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is fantastic for oilers and oiler fans.

But this has to mean Kane is gone.
They really cant shred the defence.

Ekholm Bouch
Nurse Broberg
Kulak Brown

Its the worst NHL player on the right side. Superthin with no depth
Stetcher will probably win that 3RD spot. They definitely can run this they basically did to the cup final with Ceci who is arguable worse than Stetcher. There's always the trade deadline to add on the right side if they need.

A healthy Kane is a valuable player in the playoffs. Let him have surgery if needed/get healthy and take his time coming back. They won't need him early on and can give a guy like Lavoie a chance to break into the line up in the bottom 6 now that they have more than 4 top 6 wingers.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Stetcher will probably win that 3RD spot. They definitely can run this they basically did to the cup final with Ceci who is arguable worse than Stetcher. There's always the trade deadline to add on the right side if they need.

A healthy Kane is a valuable player in the playoffs. Let him have surgery if needed/get healthy and take his time coming back. They won't need him early on and can give a guy like Lavoie a chance to break into the line up in the bottom 6 now that they have more than 4 top 6 wingers.
I hope Lavoie stays, I think he could be a useful player. He scored a bunch at tier II in sweden. Sure, its not the highest tier. But able to produce as a 20 year old overseas is a great sign.

But I fear hes gone, wich is awful developement.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope Lavoie stays, I think he could be a useful player. He scored a bunch at tier II in sweden. Sure, its not the highest tier. But able to produce as a 20 year old overseas is a great sign.

But I fear hes gone, wich is awful developement.
They qualified him so I'm sure he'll have a chance to make opening day lineup, and if Kanes out to start the year it might just be the opening he needs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm really blown away by this signing. This is amazing.
We're going to score even MORE goals next year.
We're going back to the SC Finals, except this year we have home ice advantage!

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
When his boys re-signed, Uncle Rico knew he couldnt be the one to break up the band. They were great in the SCF.

Kane has to be starting the season on LTIR. They don't have enough D depth now to trade Ceci. Broberg and Holloway will get short, cheap deals and then it's time to run it back. With Arvidsson and Skinner.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
People who don’t watch the oilers or pay attention to the oilers should try asking questions first instead of showing they don’t know what they’re talking about.
Something wrong with what I said? Wouldn’t you want those guys with a little less wear and tear before the playoffs begin?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Something wrong with what I said? Wouldn’t you want those guys with a little less wear and tear before the playoffs begin?

I can't speak for @nabob, but I don't think he has a problem with the notion that McDavid and Draisaitl play fewer minutes.
I think the problem with your statement is more about the part that McDrai won't like it to play fewer minutes, considering they have already been playing fewer minutes this last season. For Draisaitl it's a trend over the last couple of seasons, and McDavid's ice time was his 3rd lowest since coming into the league. For Draisaitl it was the 4th lowest, not counting his rookie season when he got 12:42 minutes of average ice time.

McDavid's ice time since the 18-19 season (the season they really took off):

18-19 22:50
19-20 21:52
20-21 22:09
21-22 22:04
22-23 22:23
23-24 21:22

Draisaitl's ice time since the 18-19 season:

18-19 22:35
19-20 22:37
20-21 22:11
21-22 22:21
22-23 21:44
23-24 20:42

I think McDavid can still easily handle playing 20+ minutes, though it would be great if they could keep it under 21, and I don't believe he would object to that. For Draisaitl I think another minute less would be good and it should be possible, if everybody delivers in the regular season.
And anybody following the Oilers should be aware that they have really bought in to doing whatever it takes to win it all, including putting more focus on defense and playing fewer minutes.

Reactions: nabob

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I can't speak for @nabob, but I don't think he has a problem with the notion that McDavid and Draisaitl play fewer minutes.
I think the problem with your statement is more about the part that McDrai won't like it to play fewer minutes, considering they have already been playing fewer minutes this last season. For Draisaitl it's a trend over the last couple of seasons, and McDavid's ice time was his 3rd lowest since coming into the league. For Draisaitl it was the 4th lowest, not counting his rookie season when he got 12:42 minutes of average ice time.

McDavid's ice time since the 18-19 season (the season they really took off):

18-19 22:50
19-20 21:52
20-21 22:09
21-22 22:04
22-23 22:23
23-24 21:22

Draisaitl's ice time since the 18-19 season:

18-19 22:35
19-20 22:37
20-21 22:11
21-22 22:21
22-23 21:44
23-24 20:42

I think McDavid can still easily handle playing 20+ minutes, though it would be great if they could keep it under 21, and I don't believe he would object to that. For Draisaitl I think another minute less would be good and it should be possible, if everybody delivers in the regular season.
And anybody following the Oilers should be aware that they have really bought in to doing whatever it takes to win it all, including putting more focus on defense and playing fewer minutes.
Yeah I never meant it as a negative character trait for the two of them. In my mind, players of that elite echelon typically want the responsibility and playtime. That MJ level competitiveness, which is why those two are so good. He seemed to take it as an insult so maybe it came off the wrong way. All the better if they realize that the most important season is the postseason and now it’s not entirely up to them to get the Oilers there.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I thought he'd get 5.5+. Absolute bargain considering the ridiculous prices we've seen on guys who can play center today.\

Good defensively
PK
Elite faceoffs
Veteran presence
CENTER
25 goals
50 points

Didn't even have to give retirement term like the Tanev deal.
TML have to pay full rip for everyone. The Oilers have shown they are true contenders and players are willing to take less to have a chance at the cup. TML will get these discounts if they start going deep into the playoffs. Remember the Oilers use to have to overpay for everyone?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Great signing for Henrique and the oilers. Devils are short one middle 6 guy who can take face offs and probably only have about 3 million to make it happen. Henrique would have been a great option.

Reactions: zar and Mr Positive

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good signing, another sign of a player that wants to finish the job. Oilers top 12 look good, if not improved this upcoming season. Skinner and Arvidsson are upgrades to their scoring, and they brought back the core support minus Foegel and Carrick. When your 4th C may be Henrique playing with Brown and Janmark. You will have mismatches. Oilers on paper are stacked.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is a must

I mean at the same time, lets also look at facts.

The Oilers were top 5 in the NHL for lowest goals against after changing to Knoblaugh/Coffey early in the year.

In the playoffs they allowed a very solid 2.6 GA/game, almost identical to the Cup winning Florida Panthers (2.589 GA/game). In the Finals they allowed less GA than the Panthers did as a matter of fact even with Draisaitl playing injured and not being able to score a goal.

I do think they will look to upgrade somewhere on the back end at the trade deadline, but at the same time, people who think the Oilers made it to game 7 of a Cup Final by playing run n' gun hockey are simply not watching the games. They have become a lot more structured like the Pittsburgh Penguins in their Cup runs.

The PK especially was incredible, they just flat out shut down opponents' PP entirely. This is not the same Oilers team from 3 years ago anymore, Knoblaugh and Coffey did some serious work in terms of D structure and buy in. Guys like Bouchard and Broberg are growing too, that was really only Bouchard's 3rd full season in the league, these guys learned a ton by playing deep into June.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Depends on whether he slots in on LW or C.

He won't be getting much powerplay time so I'd say 40 would be a good season for him.
Imo we might be giving more time to our 2nd unit next year. I don't see much point in changing our first unit, and now the 2nd unit will feature Skinner, Henrique, Arvidsson, Nurse. We likely will get someone to step up of Broberg, Holloway, or even a Brown type if he would fill a Hyman role. It's not like Ekholm is a slouch on the PP either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad