Proposal: Edm/Cgy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Yakapov for Wideman @50% plus 2017 4th

undervaluing Yakapov even if it is a fit if the 4th was a 2nd it would be closer. Yak is still a young prospect aged player with perceived upside which is why a team would trade for him. Even if he does not come close to meeting expectations he is then the perfect expansion bait for a team.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
undervaluing Yakapov even if it is a fit if the 4th was a 2nd it would be closer. Yak is still a young prospect aged player with perceived upside which is why a team would trade for him. Even if he does not come close to meeting expectations he is then the perfect expansion bait for a team.

His value at last years TDL was a 3rd apparently, so....

But Cgy and Edm aren´t going to trade with each other anyways.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

There's a world of difference between perceived value and value to the Oilers. If the asking price was only a 3rd, he wouldn't be an Oiler right now.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
There's a world of difference between perceived value and value to the Oilers. If the asking price was only a 3rd, he wouldn't be an Oiler right now.

I think a 3rd was what was being offered.
I think a 2nd would have landed him.

If the Oilers trade Yakupov, then they are likely to lose Reinhart/Davidson to Vegas. They are better off keeping Yak and hoping he does well enough to justify protecting, or for Vegas to take him.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
It has happened before (Ladislav Smid trade), but yeah they are not typically trading partners.

I remember when that trade went down and everyone ripped Mac T.

You never hear about Smid anymore....

Interesting stat, I know Ladi isn't a offensive guy or anything but he has only scored 1 goal in his career with Calgary.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Oilers should throw 2M at Wizniewski instead and end up being better than this deal..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And then Yakupov magically finds some crazy chemistry with Gaudreau and pots 30 a year and we never hear the end of it. No thanks, I'd want Yak out of western Canada if we traded him unless the return was too good to be true which it isn't in this case.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The only downside to this trade is the optics if yak finally breaks out, so Calgary should take back the 4th and add a conditional first based on a successful yak

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Interesting stat, I know Ladi isn't a offensive guy or anything but he has only scored 1 goal in his career with Calgary.

Smid has been plagued by injuries since the trade.

I was one of those who wasn't thrilled with giving up Brossoit though.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Smid was awesome for the Flames before he got injured. After that, he wasn't the same.

Anyways, Oilers pass. Yakupov still has a ton of potential. Trading him for a young dman they can slot in could make sense. Trading him for Wideman is just downright stupid.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

Did that deal happen? No meaning that isn't his value. He may end up going for that but for now the offer must be more or it won't happen.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
if Yakupov has upside he stays with the Oilers. If Oilers mgmt feels he's a bust they'll trade him for draft picks.
We'll know more about how Yak is perceived by the organization by whether he starts the year as an Oiler or not.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Yakupov. Ideally, I'd want to lose Wideman in the deal, but I don't think adding a 3rd would get it done. I'd offer a 2nd + Wideman, knowing that Wideman will be moveable at the trade deadline, likely for a (late) 2nd, himself.

If that doesn't do it, I'd consider something around Poirier or Klimchuk as the centerpiece. But then our 2nd is off the table. I'd still want Wideman included for cap reasons, (unless Stajan interests the Oilers, which I very much doubt). But if it's Poirier/Klimchuk + Wideman for Yakupov, I'd want something else coming back. (Maybe Oilers 3rd '18 to replace the one we'll likely lose to St.Louis for extending Elliott?)

Last edited:

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Sending Yak to Calgary while taking Wideman off their hands is a big no. Too big of a risk for a small return. Poirier/Klimchuk are not good enough prospects to make me consider it either. Id trade a late pick for Wideman but for Calgary to get Yak I would want an asset they wouldnt be willing to give up.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yakapov for Wideman @50% plus 2017 4th

No. Yakupov's value is at its all time lowest, so low that at this time it isn't worth moving him at all.

We could probably get Wideman for a 7th rounder. Calgary would probably love to replace his salary with a new contract for Kris Russell.

Doesn't Wideman have a No Trade or No Move clause? He might not even waive it to go to Edmonton if he does.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

The offers and his value are different. He's an Oiler, so Chiarelli sets the price. If nobody wants to pay the price, that's fine. Obviously nobody wanted to pay Chiarelli's price, and obviously that price was more than a 3rd rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad