Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Makes you wonder if having a GM with history and pedigree in the league is such a good thing.

An outsider comes in with no predetermined relationships/bias and we have what looks to be one the best offseasons we could have had.
The problem with Holland is that he never really adapted to how things were post-salary cap. If he were still GM there's a good chance that the Skinner/Arvidsson contracts are quite a bit longer.

That and his drafting was shit.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Savoie was in Dubuque for a season, which is where Kalle Larsson (the new senior director of player development) is from. Possible overlap there, but I'm sure they already knew about the kid considering his draft pedigree. Will say it again, he's also a local kid. And furthermore, will be cost controlled for years to come. Top 10 draft pick in terms of talent. Still stunned by this.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
To everyone looking for holes or reasons why Savoie was traded, there is no deficiency there. He's a grade A+ prospect, but Adams is desperate so he made an overpay given we have a huge prospect pool. That's all there is to it. No need to be looking for ulterior motives or angles. Just enjoy Savoie!

Thanks. For what it's worth, I think McLeod can help you guys so while I'm ecstatic he got the return he got, McLeod is a useful NHL player with some still untapped offensive potential. I think the biggest reason he became expendable here is that the team has been filled with veterans that were added the last 12 months making it less likely he could reach his full potential anyways.

Good luck this year, I'm hoping Buffalo finally makes a run into the playoffs this year.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Yeah I am actually a McLeod fan. He still has room to grow in his game, is big (even though butter soft), exceptionally fast, good at both ends of the rink, and has lots of experience. He was a known commodity within the team.

This trade, while likely required, means that we are thin at experienced forward if there are some injuries, and Savoie isn't going to help win a cup next year (as he likely just plays in the AHL all year). I don't think this is some "grand slam" trade like everybody is saying. We traded an actual NHL'er for a prospect - even if it was a good prospect.
Thin at experienced forward? In what world are you living Jaded?

We will have two legit NHL Fs scratched to start the year

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
To everyone looking for holes or reasons why Savoie was traded, there is no deficiency there. He's a grade A+ prospect, but Adams is desperate so he made an overpay given we have a huge prospect pool. That's all there is to it. No need to be looking for ulterior motives or angles. Just enjoy Savoie!
Wishing best to Mcleod there with you guys. Burner in terms of speed and a very good PKer, but allergic to physical contact and was noticeable in actively ducking hits / bailing early to avoid taking a hit.

BUF has drafted really well, and you have some excellent players. I'll always have a soft spot for a place like BUF which endures a similar kind of cold and snow dumps even worse than ours. Nice to have words from BUF fans after the dregs we saw with the loser VCR and FLA fanbases.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
how do you trade a guy who is about to be on waivers (maybe...potentially....its within the realm of possibility depending what happens at camp) for your best prospect.

I dont know if its schadenfreude talking or if this is Griffin Reinhart level...

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Thanks Matt. McLeod is an absolutely elite skater who is quite strong in own end and on the PK. Questionable IQ and hands and wilted a bit come playoff time. No doubt he is good NHLer though. A golden retriever personality, not sure much between the ears but seems like a good guy.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Suddenly the Oilers’ prospect pipeline doesn’t look so grim with Savoie and O’Reilly up and coming as right handed centres

I’m so happy right now lol
At the very least, we have assets that can be moved to improve at the deadline.

Great work all around. If JJ was working this from the draft floor, no wonder he was more willing to trade next years pick to take a prospect this year. He’s filling the cupboards early and in our window.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
how do you trade a guy who is about to be on waivers (maybe...potentially....its within the realm of possibility depending what happens at camp) for your best prospect.

I dont know if its schadenfreude talking or if this is Griffin Reinhart level...

To be fair, McLeod wouldn't be a waiver consideration on most teams, Edmonton's just built up quite the collection of forwards making him look a bit redundant.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
The fact he is a local kid is just icing on the cake man.

I mean if we have a few injuries, not just 1. We are the oldest team in the league, so that isn't completely unlikely. I should have been more clear in my original post.
Fair enough, but I think that is a concern for any team. Savoie will be in minors and gives us a legit top 6 call up option.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I considered that too but those were picks and not actual players. Oilers probably wouldn’t have even selected Barzal lol.

Yeah, it's not even in the same stratosphere of bad as that trade. Arguably Edmonton gave up the 2 highest valued assets in the trade.

McLeod is still an everyday NHLer on almost any NHL team with high end skating, strong penalty killing and defensive play. Tullio isn't a complete throwaway either.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mean it’s quite a bit different. Savoie was drafted 9 OA in 2022, this isn’t a second or third round pick that’s had a few promising years. He’s got pedigree.

Unless he has an unreal camp and preseason he’s gonna start in Bakersfield.

I imagine either the Oilers pick up one more depth centre and start the year like:

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrqiue-Brown
Holloway-Hamblin/Ryan/4C-Perry

Line 4 will get more 5 on 5 ice while Line 3 will get a full compliment of PK usage.

You can easily also shift Nuge to C too
You missed Kane.

Henrique scored 24 goals last year, he's going to get his minutes at evens.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some wild lineups this year, like McDavid Nuge Drasaitl Henrique down the middle, hell they could run a Nuge-McDavid-Drai line now and still have threats down the lineup.

With Kane healthy, I don't see Janmark-Henrique-Brown sticking together, you can't stick Kane on the fourth line with no one to play with. However, IF Savoie cracks the lineup, you could have some insane looking lineups:

Savoie - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Kane - Nuge - Holloway
Janmark - Henrique - Brown

Without Savoie, throw Perry in and you could do:

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Kane - Nuge - Perry
Janmark - Holloway - Brown

Stacking McDrai:

Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Henrique - Arvidsson
Kane - Nuge - Holloway
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

There's so many different configurations they could use now. It's going to be so difficult to game plan against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad