Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll say this...
I've noticed listening to radio out east... they always talked up Ryan McLeod like he was a core player on the team.

I was always like... Mcleod..??
huh-confused.gif
Lol quit listening to that radio

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I know it's a very short window but he had 5 pts. in 6 games with their AHL Rochester club. He's a high pedigree pick and I honestly think he might have a legitimate shot making the team.
Yeah, I'm aware of that which is all the more reason this looks like a masterstroke. They've turned a guy that was causing a little stress on the cap that may have been forced onto the 4th line this year and turned him into a player that will likely be our biggest trade asset for the deadline in March (unless he's too good and they just keep him).

Guaranteed at the deadline next year Savoie's trade value will be double what McLeod's will be considering he'd be one year away from being a UFA.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I know it's a very short window but he had 5 pts. in 6 games with their AHL Rochester club. He's a high pedigree pick and I honestly think he might have a legitimate shot making the team.
2 PPG in the WHL in his D+1 as the #1C on the WHL champion. Far and away our #1 prospect. Cost controlled elite young talent that will be much needed with big incoming extensions. I can't even believe it

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Yeah, I'm aware of that which is all the more reason this looks like a masterstroke. They've turned a guy that was causing a little stress on the cap that may have been forced onto the 4th line this year and turned him into a player that will likely be our biggest trade asset for the deadline in March (unless he's too good and they just keep him).

Guaranteed at the deadline next year Savoie's trade value will be double what McLeod's will be considering he'd be one year away from being a UFA.
I don't think they'd pry away a top prospect like this (that's exactly what he is) only to dump him in a trade deadline move. They need to refill the pipeline but this kid is almost ready to join. Like wow, Jackson...

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
McLeod is a speedy non physical forward who can play center but is more effective on the wing. He shows glimpses of offensive ability but I think his ceiling is probably 15/15/30. He’s pretty good defensively.

Tullio you’ll have to ask the AHL guys about.
Well said.

He uses his speed on the backcheck quite well. Can skate the puck out of the zone.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
2 PPG in the WHL in his D+1 as the #1C on the WHL champion. Far and away our #1 prospect. Cost controlled elite young talent that will be much needed with big incoming extensions. I can't even believe it
Unbelievable honestly. I can't even understand the reasoning for this from Buffalo's end, unless they really needed the bottom six guy that badly. I don't even think the kid needs much time developmentally in the A. Absolutely giddy.. local kid too!

Reactions: nally

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Sabres fan who comes in peace.
How are the guys we got back from you guys.
Savoie was a top A+ prospect for the Sabres . Unfortunately he was injured early last season and couldn't crack the roster.

McLeod. I think hes a better winger than a center. Hes faily good defensively but cant seem to get much offense going at center. He produces better on wing. He is a beautiful skater and has size. But hes a perimeter player all day. Seems like a guy who keeps things loose in dressing room.

Tullio always stands out to me in prospect games or scrums. I think it will be difficult for him to make a NHL career though.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Even from a timeline perspective this is amazing. This is 7 years contracting rights for a top 10 pick for 2 years of contracting rights for a high 2nd round pick.

I like McLeod and think he likely helps Buffalo quite a bit this year, but this is JJ showing that his has an eye for impeccable timing in terms of when players are most valuable to the team in a trade.

A year from now McLeod is 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights with very little trade value unless he exploded for 70 points. But there's no way he'd have a season like that with all the players ahead of him on the depth charts. Keep that in mind if McLeod has a breakout this year in Buffalo as he's likely going to be given a much more offensive role there than he'd ever have got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad