Proposal: EDM-ARI (Goaltending)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
To EDM: Schmaltz (5.85M) + Vejmelka (842k) + Boyd (750k) = $7.44M

To ARI: Puljujarvi (1.175M) + Koskinen (4.5M) + Turris (1.65M) = $7.32M

Edmonton needs to do something to address the goaltending. Their season is swirling down the drain and Holland and Tippett's job are on the line. There simply aren't many goalie options out there right now because Holland failed to address the issue in the offseason. If the Oilers miss the playoffs, changes are coming, and it may be difficult to lure a goalie via free agency with very little cap space after the Nurse pay increase.

Puljujarvi is due a raise that would take Edmonton near the cap next year, without having addressed defense or goal.

The Coyotes would like to move the Schmaltz contract, and he fits more in line with the Oilers time frame. Schmaltz is two years older, but his cap hit is in line with what Edmonton hopes to pay Puljujarvi, while JP has arbitration rights and might go on a late tear and make more or risk an offer sheet. Vejmelka is cost controlled and can still be paired with Smith next season and beyond. He has a small NHL sample size, but he's one of the few potential options out there that might be a cost-controlled starter. Turris for Boyd is just to help with cap while helping the Oilers with secondary scoring to get the season back on track.

The Coyotes have a lot of draft picks and prospects, along with pending UFAs they will be trading at the deadline for more picks/prospects. The idea is to swap Schmaltz for Puljujarvi as the cost for Vejmelka.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Vejmelka is better than Koskinen, and Schmaltz as a player today is pretty close to Puljujarvi.

As a Coyotes fan, I do this deal, but I'd prefer Boyd and Turris not be in it. Don't want Turris and Boyd is a solid vet.

All that said, I don't see the Oilers betting on Vejmelka. They need to trade a better asset (do they still have their 2022 1st?) for a more proven goalie.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I don't get the feeling that Vejmelka or Korpisalo are on the Oilers radar, haven't heard much chatter about the two of them here, but I have heard chatter about guys like Georgiev and even Carey Price and Charlie Lindgren so who knows? :dunno:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd like Vejmelka but I'd much rather keep JP over Schmaltz.
The issue right now, is that Vejmelka has 23 games played in the NHL. At 23 games played in the NHL, Mikko Koskinen looked like a decent NHL goalie. I haven't watched enough of him to know, but that's just not very many NHL games. Nobody knows if he will be a starter, or a Koskinen. I'd hate to pull a big trade with Pulujarvi going out just to bring in another Koskinen.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The issue right now, is that Vejmelka has 23 games played in the NHL. At 23 games played in the NHL, Mikko Koskinen looked like a decent NHL goalie. I haven't watched enough of him to know, but that's just not very many NHL games. Nobody knows if he will be a starter, or a Koskinen. I'd hate to pull a big trade with Pulujarvi going out just to bring in another Koskinen.
Beggars can't be choosers! ;)

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'd rather try to acquire Vejmelka without any sort of package deal for these reasons.

I prefer JP over Schmaltz and think JP will sign a deal worth less to boot.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It’s creative and makes sense. I just don’t think Edmonton can get away with pretending Vejmelka for Koskinen actually solves their problems. I could see some serious backlash from fans and even the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl. The big goalie move is for a guy they’ve never heard of? I don’t think it would pass the smell test.

Reactions: 24 others

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
To EDM: Schmaltz (5.85M) + Vejmelka (842k) + Boyd (750k) = $7.44M

To ARI: Puljujarvi (1.175M) + Koskinen (4.5M) + Turris (1.65M) = $7.32M

Edmonton needs to do something to address the goaltending. Their season is swirling down the drain and Holland and Tippett's job are on the line. There simply aren't many goalie options out there right now because Holland failed to address the issue in the offseason. If the Oilers miss the playoffs, changes are coming, and it may be difficult to lure a goalie via free agency with very little cap space after the Nurse pay increase.

Puljujarvi is due a raise that would take Edmonton near the cap next year, without having addressed defense or goal.

The Coyotes would like to move the Schmaltz contract, and he fits more in line with the Oilers time frame. Schmaltz is two years older, but his cap hit is in line with what Edmonton hopes to pay Puljujarvi, while JP has arbitration rights and might go on a late tear and make more or risk an offer sheet. Vejmelka is cost controlled and can still be paired with Smith next season and beyond. He has a small NHL sample size, but he's one of the few potential options out there that might be a cost-controlled starter. Turris for Boyd is just to help with cap while helping the Oilers with secondary scoring to get the season back on track.

The Coyotes have a lot of draft picks and prospects, along with pending UFAs they will be trading at the deadline for more picks/prospects. The idea is to swap Schmaltz for Puljujarvi as the cost for Vejmelka.
If Edmonton is more focused on Swayman (understandable), maybe Schmaltz for Koskinen and Turris.

For the Oilers this clears a goalie spot for Swayman and provides secondary scoring in Schmaltz who might be a really good roster fit.

For Arizona this removes the long-term Schmaltz contract and replaces with 2 expiring deals.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Ivan Prosvetov is worth a look also, he’s come the closest to breaking Colorado’s home win streak with 40 saves

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's not a bad proposal.

I'd think that Arizona doesnt like it. They will be bad but could turn things around within a few years. Goalies tend to have long developments. Starting a rebuild with a young goalie is a good start

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
The Oilers cannot afford to take on 6M cap hit until 25-26. Koskinen will expire this year and Puljujarvi will not get 5M for his next contract.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The Oilers cannot afford to take on 6M cap hit until 25-26. Koskinen will expire this year and Puljujarvi will not get 5M for his next contract.
Puljujarvi is on pace for a 23-34-57 in 77GP as a 23YO former 4th overall pick. Why would he settle for less? It seems like a situation ripe for an offer sheet, if Edmonton doesn't intend to pay him after this season.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Why are Schmaltz's shot totals so low?
The Coyotes as a club have the worst shots per game in the league. Schmaltz's shots per game don't seem that low really. He's about on par with Kessel with around 2 shots per game, and a little behind Keller and Crouse who are a little closer to 3 and 2.5 shots per game, respectively.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Hmmm Oilers going all in on a goalie with 20 nhl games experience. I don’t think they’ve done that before

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Coyotes as a club have the worst shots per game in the league. Schmaltz's shots per game don't seem that low really. He's about on par with Kessel with around 2 shots per game, and a little behind Keller and Crouse who are a little closer to 3 and 2.5 shots per game, respectively.
His career high in a season is 118. That just seems really low to me for a guy who is expected to be an offensive player.

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
Looks odd at first. But the facts are they can't afford to pay both Puljujarvi his raise and any goalie asking around 5 per with those cap woes. That means they really should try to shred wages as much as possible but even if they do, they may end up with inexperienced cheap goalie next year anyway...
So why not to do it now? Vejmelka played few games, but looked very solid. Koskinen is broken. This risky move can even push them to the playoffs... If it does, Holland will be seen as massive winner who was able to save the season while preparing the team for coming tight cap years in one move. If it doesn't, Holland should be sacked. So I'd definitely try to gamble this way in his position:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad