Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA] Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for a 5th in 2014 and 3rd in 2015.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
@Real_ESPNLeBrun
I believe Anaheim got two mid-round picks for Fasth from Edmonton... but waiting to confirm that
Hopefully not any 2nds in future drafts

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Fasth is a sub .900 SV% goalie taking up $2.9M in cap space on a team that has two of the top goalie prospects in the world and Hiller as their #1.

I would hope that we're getting some compensation for allowing the Ducks to shed that contract from their books, and that it's not a situation where we're giving up real assets for a goalie we think is going to play a big role for us.

NHL numbers:
17-8-0-3 4 SO SV%.915 GAA 2.32 MIN 1,733

Don't see how he's a sub .900 goalie, unless only the 5 games he has played this year count towards his NHL numbers.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Ch7xp99.gif

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Fasth > Bryzgalov so if it was just the 4th wouldn't Minnesota have just gone for Fasth?

Fasth has played 5 games this year and has Devan Dubnyk like numbers. Bryzgalov at least has a sv% over .900.

Oilers are going to go into next season with 2 goalies with less than 100 combined starts in the NHL. MacT has spent the entire year wasting time and energy on goaltending. I wouldn't be very surprised if we go through this rodeo again next year.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 10s

Fasth to the Oilers for a 5th in 2014 and 3rd in 2015.

So nothing. Ok, not bad.

This season the Oilers started with two goalies with long track records of average performance. Starting next year they'll have two goalies with very short track records of high level performance. Hope that works out better.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Ehh not a terrible trade in terms of picks. Anything 3rd or below I don't really rate, especially for someone who should be able to at least be a decent backup.

Was he that much better that Bryz? Did Bryz want to stay here, probably not.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Fasth has played 5 games this year and has Devan Dubnyk like numbers. Bryzgalov at least has a sv% over .900.

Oilers are going to go into next season with 2 goalies with less than 100 combined starts in the NHL. MacT has spent the entire year wasting time and energy on goaltending. I wouldn't be very surprised if we go through this rodeo again next year.

He's banking on the competition for the number one job raising both their games. It worked to an extent with Reimer and Scrivens in Toronto, we'll see if it works here.

I don't think it's exactly fair to judge Fasth so harshly based on his five games this year, apparently he's had some injury problems. The jury's pretty much out on him at the moment.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Seirously though, am I the only one who isn't too keen on starting another year with two back-ups leading the way? Two great 1Bs, don't get me wrong, but still 1Bs nonetheless.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Not bad at all, especially when we got a 4th back for Bryz

So we essentially traded two thirds for Fasth/Scrivens then swapped a 5th for a 4th.

Not bad MacT

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Would you rather pay Hiller or Halak 5-6 mil/yr? I sure wouldn't.
Fasth has always had good numbers in pro leagues up until this short sample size of struggle this season.
It's a good gamble and allows MacT to focus on the real problem which is the D.
I think MacT did well here. I wanted the Oilers to take a flier on Fasth going into this season so i like this move a lot.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I like it!

This is like the Matt Nichols/mike Ryley duo on the Esks.
Bring in two guys who are due for a shot at being the starter and let them fight it out!

$5.2 mil on goaltending is totally reasonable!

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Fasth had nice numbers in the SEL before making the leap to North America. That's something I guess?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad