Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just for the record. Without known a single thing the Bruins are gonna do this off-season I can tell you right now they will finish in the top 4 in the conference and maybe even win a playoff series.

Should I be happy about that or should we aim a little higher this time?

Who is suggesting there aren't higher expectations?

Reactions: Ladyfan

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
The Stanley Cup is really hard to win. The goal/question for the Bruins should be, imo, are they getting closer to the Cup? They've set themselves up, imo, to get closer next year with this years acquisitions and cap money. Now comes the hard part, getting the right players for the team that they want.

They have a Stanley cup goalie. Which is the hardest part to get.

We can't be sitting here next year and saying things like they got to game 7 of the second round and still lost and call that progress.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Tell yeah I give a lot of credit to the fans who pay the big bucks to go to games in the playoffs,when it’s almost a certainty they are going to lose anymore,not sure I would if I lived close enough to go .I really don’t.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Who is suggesting there aren't higher expectations?

I've been going back and forth with a half dozen users who seem perfectly fine with how things have gone the last couple years.

Just in case anyone forgot the score but just 5 years ago the bruins were within a game of winning the cup, one they should have won and have spent the last 5 years flunking out and getting worse.

They're farther away from the cup then they was when Sweeney took over.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Said it in one of the game threads but the biggest change they need to make for next season is a new strength and conditioning coach/program. The whole team looked to be comically dragging ass that whole playoff.

Free Whitesides!

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I am always bummed at the end of the season, and while in September I was not confident that the B's would do more than squeak into the playoffs, and would not have expected that they would win a round, I am still a bit bummed out now.

Hope they can make the offseason moves to upgrade the centers and add some high end skill...but probably going to have to go through the FA route.

Deep down I think I knew that this was going to be a bridge type season, but I will be disappointed if the organization cannot find a way to upgrade during the offseason.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've been going back and forth with a half dozen users who seem perfectly fine with how things have gone the last couple years.

Just in case anyone forgot the score but just 5 years ago the bruins were within a game of winning the cup, one they should have won and have spent the last 5 years flunking out and getting worse.

They're farther away from the cup then they was when Sweeney took over.

I don’t think anyone is perfectly fine with what has happened the last 5 years….but only one team can win a cup every year and the B’s overall have been better than, what? 85% of teams in the league.

As for where they are right now….it doesn’t matter.

Let’s see what they do over the summer.

And, I’m not even a Sweney fan, and would have no problem if they moved on from him.

Either way, the team is likely to look very different next season.

Where that gets them?

Only time will tell.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
I don’t think anyone is perfectly fine with what has happened the last 5 years….but only one team can win a cup every year and the B’s overall have been better than, what? 85% of teams in the league.

As for where they are right now….it doesn’t matter.

Let’s see what they do over the summer.

And, I’m not even a Sweney fan, and would have no problem if they moved on from him.

Either way, the team is likely to look very different next season.

Where that gets them?

Only time will tell.

The Bruins have a world class goalie. Two of them really.

As long as they have one if them they'll be in the playoffs every year.

That shouldn't be the goal though.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Got it. So you don't value the picks the bruins have been trading off for zero cups the last decade.

Understood.
There’s not much value in a 6 rd pick in the NHL, in fact very little value if at all. Honestly, outside of the 2nd rd, the value of a player drops off drastically. Traditionally, NHL drafting has a very poor success rate, I think people confuse the NFL with the NHL when it comes to the draft. Here’s the chances of making the NHL by round.

About 19% of all players drafted will play a minimum of 200 games. That’s it…19%, that’s pretty low.

1st round = 63% play 200+ games
2nd round = 25% play 200+ games
3rd round = less than 12% play 200+ games

Around 15% of 2nd rounders will develop into an impact player.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That's a over simplification of what I said.

Pasta needs to carry the team to a cup of hes gonna make the money he's making.

Now why don't you give us the breakdown of what pasta is doing defensively because that's the stats id really like to check in on.

Pasta isn't getting paid his salary for his defensive work. Everyone knows his defensive game is average.

He carries the team for 82 + games for the year. For his struggles in the playoffs, he produces. You're the one anointing his cap hit in relation to a Cup win. He gets his team to the dance and he's a major focus point of the other team to shut down. Bruins need to get Pasta some more help. Again, top players get shut down at various points in their career in the playoffs. Krejci scored 1 goal in 19 games between two series. Bergeron, 0 goals in 18.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
There’s not much value in a 6 rd pick in the NHL, in fact very little value if at all. Honestly, outside of the 2nd rd, the value of a player drops off drastically. Traditionally, NHL drafting has a very poor success rate, I think people confuse the NFL with the NHL when it comes to the draft. Here’s the chances of making the NHL by round.

About 19% of all players drafted will play a minimum of 200 games. That’s it…19%, that’s pretty low.

1st round = 63% play 200+ games
2nd round = 25% play 200+ games
3rd round = less than 12% play 200+ games

Around 15% of 2nd rounders will develop into an impact player.

The last two deadlines alone Sweeney has traded away

A first rounder, a second, two 3rd rounders, a fourth rounder and a 6th.

With nothing to show for it. That's not sustainable.

Pasta isn't getting paid his salary for his defensive work. Everyone knows his defensive game is average.

He carries the team for 82 + games for the year. For his struggles in the playoffs, he produces. You're the one anointing his cap hit in relation to a Cup win. He gets his team to the dance and he's a major focus point of the other team to shut down. Bruins need to get Pasta some more help. Again, top players get shut down at various points in their career in the playoffs. Krejci scored 1 goal in 19 games between two series. Bergeron, 0 goals in 18.

He's not good enough. Your eyes should tell you that.

At least he's doing something unlike McAvoy. Which isn't scoring or playing defense. How many times was he on ice when the other teams scores this post season?

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
They don't "need" to deal Ullmark
I think they do , no chance they resign him not if they’re giving Swayman a big contract,so why keep him for another season and then he walks and get nothing.Move him now while they can still get something.Plus freeze up $5 million.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Its hilarious that you can't even criticize Pasta without certain posters freaking out. Accountability. Take some. I don't care if Pasta personally makes you dinner. He didn't show up. Had he did, we might of won this series. Instead he was a ghost. Our stars didn't show up. Look around the league at who is still standing. The stars are showing up.

So either Pasta was hurt.

Or he just had a bad playoff. It happens. But man did we need him.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The Stanley Cup is really hard to win. The goal/question for the Bruins should be, imo, are they getting closer to the Cup? They've set themselves up, imo, to get closer next year with this years acquisitions and cap money. Now comes the hard part, getting the right players for the team that they want.
And there not the only team with cap space either,guide a few actually

Reactions: frankiess

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
I think they do , no chance they resign him not if they’re giving Swayman a big contract,so why keep him for another season and then he walks and get nothing.Move him now while they can still get something.Plus freeze up $5 million.

You can't tie up 11/12 mil into your goaltenders.

They definitely NEED to trade Ullmark.

It's crazy that after that playoffs there are still people who think having a goalie making number 1 money sitting on your bench doing nothing in the playoffs while you struggle to score is the right approach.

Losing Ullmark for nothing would be the worst crime Sweeney committed among a flurry of really bad decisions.

He's gone.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
They have a Stanley cup goalie. Which is the hardest part to get.

We can't be sitting here next year and saying things like they got to game 7 of the second round and still lost and call that progress.
It's a cycle thing. Look at Tampa. If they still had Gourde and those guys they lost to free agency, they'd still be winning. The Stanley Cup goalie is part of the ''moving toward the Cup'' process. Some of the mid guys, Geekie and others were signed. Young guys, Lohrei, Beecher, Poitras are all part of the process. For me the big factor is what kind of team does Sweeney want and who he signs? Can Sweeney come through? Patience is required to be a Bruins fan. Sigh.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
It's a cycle thing. Look at Tampa. If they still had Gourde and those guys they lost to free agency, they'd still be winning. The Stanley Cup goalie is part of the ''moving toward the Cup'' process. Some of the mid guys, Geekie and others were signed. Young guys, Lohrei, Beecher, Poitras are all part of the process. For me the big factor is what kind of team does Sweeney want and who he signs? Can Sweeney come through? Patience is required to be a Bruins fan. Sigh.

Sweeney is entering his 10th season.

Lack of patience isnt the problem here.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
You can't tie up 11/12 mil into your goaltenders.

They definitely NEED to trade Ullmark.

It's crazy that after that playoffs there are still people who think having a goalie making number 1 money sitting on your bench doing nothing in the playoffs while you struggle to score is the right approach.

Losing Ullmark for nothing would be the worst crime Sweeney committed among a flurry of really bad decisions.

He's gone.
The only way he isn’t gone is if they can’t come to an agreement with Swayman,no chance both are here next season,agree it would be stupidity .Not sure what the return would be as a player but draft pick or picks would also be good.

Reactions: Festy1986

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
The only way he isn’t gone is if they can’t come to an agreement with Swayman,no chance both are here next season,agree it would be stupidity .Not sure what the return would be as a player but draft pick or picks would also be good.

Giving he's a RFA I don't see how he goes anywhere.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Bruins have a world class goalie. Two of them really.

As long as they have one if them they'll be in the playoffs every year.

That shouldn't be the goal though.

Don’t think it is.

You know that 70% of sports is luck.

They could sign a guy who they expect will be have a major impact but gets hurt or just doesn’t pan out.

They could get lucky in a trade or signing and someone out produces expectations/

Part of the fun of following sports is seeing how things pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad