Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - THE BEAR throws the cat over the cliff.....again - BRUINS 5 Sunrise 1 - BRUINS lead series 1-0

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Its not my problem you don't deal in objective reality regarding Tironto.

So when is it "legitimate"? If they win another round, but say Barkov is injured, does that still mean they will get "destroyed" in the next round?

When does winning a playoff series prove something to you?

I know, I know. I'm sure you see me as an optimist, while your shitty attitude makes you a "realist". Can see you are one of those from a mile away. But, just tell me, what has to happen for it to become impressive? For this team to be legitimate to you?

I'm not saying the Bruins WILL beat the Panthers or any other team. But what I am saying is they have proven, over 8 games now, that they can hang with tough competition. If they beat Florida, but Barkov goes down at some point (seemingly due to injury incurred while playing against the Bruins), is that not a legitimate series win either?

Quantify it for me.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They need to give Loheri more minutes so they can even out the D. There is no reason CMac has to play almost 25 minutes a night and Loheri only gets 16:30.

If they can find a way to get Loheri more minutes without compromising his game, I think we see a much better CMac. He's doing too much and it is showing up in normally solid areas.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You sure don’t get me wrong I thought it was a good goal ,just saying I have seen goals called back for less contact ,actually remember a Bruins goal getting called back this season and the goalie wasn’t in the Blue paint at all ,the ruling was the player didn’t try to avoid the goalie.

I'm not sure when the change occurred, but based on reviews lately, it seems fairly cut and dry that if the incidental contact is outside the crease, there's no interference, but if its inside, it is no goal.

Which is how it always should have been. Have to draw a line to make the calls more objective and consistent and the crease is the obvious line.

They need to give Loheri more minutes so they can even out the D. There is no reason CMac has to play almost 25 minutes a night and Loheri only gets 16:30.

If they can find a way to get Loheri more minutes without compromising his game, I think we see a much better CMac. He's doing too much and it is showing up in normally solid areas.

I love what we're seeing from Lohrei but that makes me nervous about piling pressure on him to the breaking point. Don't want him to lose his confidence.

McAvoy playing ~24 minutes is what a #1 D-man in his prime will do.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Game on again on Nesn right now.Love rewatching and and only watching Swayman .Easier to do that now knowing result and not following puck

Reactions: Gordoff

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Getting Peeke back would help a lot with that. Not sure I’d want to increase Lohrei’s minutes as good as he has looked.He is a riverboat gambler, it has worked so far but it could backfire also.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I'm not sure when the change occurred, but based on reviews lately, it seems fairly cut and dry that if the incidental contact is outside the crease, there's no interference, but if its inside, it is no goal.

Which is how it always should have been. Have to draw a line to make the calls more objective and consistent and the crease is the obvious line.

I love what we're seeing from Lohrei but that makes me nervous about piling pressure on him to the breaking point. Don't want him to lose his confidence.

McAvoy playing ~24 minutes is what a #1 D-man in his prime will do.
That’s not the rule
Rule 8.5 (a)

Any goal scored on a play where an attacking player initiates contact with the goaltender will be disallowed, regardless of whether the contact occurs inside or outside of the goal crease. The only exception to this is where the attacking player is fouled by a defending player and, as a result, is unable to avoid contact with the goaltender.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Someone needs to explain to me what is so special about this Florida Panther team because I'm not seeing it at all.

Why do fans (and media) think they are so good?
They play this hope-and-pray style of hockey. They shoot from everywhere. Literally. In the offensive zone, they rarely make 3 consecutive passes because the 3rd man to touch the puck will be shooting if the first two guys didn't. Their real strength is their ability to retrieve loose pucks off rebounds and deflected shots and keep the pressure on. They thrive in the chaos. I get keeping it simple especially in the playoffs but their offense is as simplistic as it gets. It's kind of predictable and Swayman looked ready for their random shooting from everywhere. You could see a lot of it coming.

Went out at the deadline an acquired a defensive liability in Tarasenko and a 36-year old Okposo who looks like the wheels have already fallen off and he's doing his best Nick Foligno impression. Great moves......if it was still 2014.

That D-corps? You can have it. I'll take Boston's any day of the week, especially now with Lohrei coming into his own before our very eyes in these playoffs. The Bruins D are simply better equipped to handle the Panthers forecheck than they were last year. Deeper too. And at least in Game 1, the Panthers D aren't packing the house they way they did last year. Where's Gudas? He was a big part of it last year. Marc Staal too. They played a safe conservative game while bringing the physical play. A lot more space tonight to make those east-west plays and cut into the mid-to-high slot against this year's Panther D. The Panthers are less physical on the back-end now no question.

Meanwhile the two worst Bruin D-men last year in Round 1 were easily Clifton and Orlov and they are both gone. Lindholm was clearly compromised looks way better this year.

And the Bruins trump card is in net. On the HNIC broadcast Friedman was saying how the Panthers showed Bobrovsky this year he's better when rested to try to get him to understand why they wanted to get his starts down (still played 58). That was game 64 for 35-year old Bob, Game 51 for Boston's 25-year old starter. Then factor in Bob played longer into last year and the 10-year age difference. Reality is he's coming off his biggest break between Rounds 1 and 2 and his energy level should get progressively lower as the series goes on. There is only one 2-day break in the schedule. He was actually really good last night and the Bruins could of been up 3 or 4 nothing by the end of the 1st had it not been for his big saves. We may have already seen his best game. Winning game 1 against a guy in his mid-30s is huge.

If for some reason Swayman needs a break or whatever at some point in the series, they have a Vezina trophy winning back-up who owned the Panthers in the regular season.

I know it's early and these are black and gold coloured glasses I got on but I try to call a spade a spade and felt going into this series it was a lot closer than the Bruins were getting credit for and one game in I feel even stronger about that opinion. There are media members who think the Bruins are/were gonna get stream-rolled and had no chance.

Maurice looked like he had no answers last night let's see him adjust. Panthers will come out harder in Game 2 but once again, it's likely the same volume shooting gameplan they used tonight. There was definitely some rust there after their break. Personally I don't think they have enough talent up front to play any other way.

Panthers? More like Paper Tigers if you ask me.

Are you basing this on one game?

Panthers just handled Tampa with ease in 5. Bobrovsky didn't even play that well. No Florida player was minus in the series. In the regular season they had the best goals against in the NHL. 6th on the PK, 8th on the PP, 4th best record. They have a Vezina finalist (and two-time Vezina winner), a 57-goal scorer, the NHL leader in plus-minus (by a lot) and 3 players with over a point per game. And they are hard to play against (hard as nails).

So those may be a few reasons why people think they are very good.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
That’s not the rule
Rule 8.5 (a)

Any goal scored on a play where an attacking player initiates contact with the goaltender will be disallowed, regardless of whether the contact occurs inside or outside of the goal crease. The only exception to this is where the attacking player is fouled by a defending player and, as a result, is unable to avoid contact with the goaltender.

Hmmm yeah.

Perhaps you could make the argument with Bobrovsky coming out to challenge outside of his crease that he initiated the contact.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That’s not the rule
Rule 8.5 (a)

well yeah, Bob initiated the contact he was out of the crease and tripped zacha.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That’s not the rule
Rule 8.5 (a)

There's a difference between initiated contact and incidental contact.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
So when is it "legitimate"? If they win another round, but say Barkov is injured, does that still mean they will get "destroyed" in the next round?

I know, I know. I'm sure you see me as an optimist, while your shitty attitude makes you a "realist". Can see you are one of those from a mile away. But, just tell me, what has to happen for it to become impressive? For this team to be legitimate to you?

I'm not saying the Bruins WILL beat the Panthers or any other team. But what I am saying is they have proven, over 8 games now, that they can hang with tough competition. If they beat Florida, but Barkov goes down at some point (seemingly due to injury incurred while playing against the Bruins), is that not a legitimate series win either?

Quantify it for me.

What? My response was Toronto missing My landed and Matthews weren't the Toronto
you referenced.

Quantify it for me.

Ok, .920 Swayman Florida in 6. .950 Boston in 5.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Panthers just handled Tampa with ease in 5. Bobrovsky didn't even play that well. No Florida player was minus in the series. In the regular season they had the best goals against in the NHL. 6th on the PK, 8th on the PP, 4th best record. They have a Vezina finalist (and two-time Vezina winner), a 57-goal scorer, the NHL leader in plus-minus (by a lot) and 3 players with over a point per game. And they are hard to play against (hard as nails).

Personally, I thought game 1 was a toss-up before the series started. Florida isn't at game speed for a prolonged period of time, while the Bruins are fighting for their lives over a 7-game series and only have a day off in between. They are very much "hitting the series running".

Impressive last night regardless. But if the Bruins can pull off a second road win in a row, I'll be ecstatic.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018

there were games where Chara played nearly half the game.

I think CMac will be fine.

Remember though, for the most part more time for Lohrei also means more time for Wotherspoon. I don't really have a problem with that, but factor it in that if Lohrei's on the ice, a pure stay at home defenseman is usually on the ice as well.

Would not mind the Lohrei-Wotherspoon pairing to take on more responsibility, not because of Macavoy but because they seem like they can handle it. it's great to have that second lockdown pairing.

Wotherspoon and Lohrei were very effective out there in game 1 and seem to be a well matched pairing, I could definitely get used to them as fixtures of the second pairing going forward.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I wasn't impressed with TB either quiet frankly. Shallow up front, shallow on D, and Vasilievsky couldn't cover for that.

I outlined why I'm not impressed with Florida in my original post. I'm not saying they suck. I just don't see them as being exceptional when compared to Boston. People acting like they are some juggernaut. Both are quality teams.

You can say it's one game, well, that is how they play. Are they going to go from a shot-volume hope-and-pray offense to a puck possession overnight? Is their D about to get harder and tougher to play against with that personnel? Bobrovsky had a massive advantage last year (3 1/2 weeks rest) he simply doesn't have this vs. Swayman who is 10 years his junior (and that absolutely matters, especially in a long playoff series).

Honestly all the stuff you mention about Florida and their regular season sounds like the same kind of hype the Bruins had last year.

Last year, Florida was a bad match-up for Boston. This year it's Boston who is a bad match-up for Florida.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Personally, I thought game 1 was a toss-up before the series started. Florida isn't at game speed for a prolonged period of time, while the Bruins are fighting for their lives over a 7-game series and only have a day off in between. They are very much "hitting the series running".

Impressive last night regardless. But if the Bruins can pull off a second road win in a row, I'll be ecstatic.

Too much time off and not enough time off are just excuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad