GDT: ECQF: Game 6 - Toronto Maple Leafs Vs Boston Bruins, 8 p.m. ET, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Matthews being absent in game 6 is a blessing in disguise for the Leafs just like in game 5. They seem to play more like a team when he is absent and that is what you need in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised this series goes 7.
Agree. Even though game 5 was not exactly a masterclass in perfect team play, the Leafs played significantly better than previous games. I think not having Matthews there changes the dynamic somehow.

That said, I think it was a mistake to not rest players in the final games of the season. McDavid was in the hunt (relatively speaking) for the Art Ross, and I think even if he was closer to Kucherov or MacKinnon, they would have rested him for the benefit of the playoff push. And in the Oilers last game, all their big guns were rested. The Leafs should have done that since nothing they did / not did would have made any direct difference to who their opponent would be. I definitely think they were chasing Matthews' individual record, which I think was a mistake, but ultimately I am not a Leafs fan, so I don't care one way or another.

I don't like Matthews, but as a hockey fan in general, I certainly don't want to see any players sustain any long term injuries that would hamper their career and contribution to the team, and the league as a whole.

Reactions: Summer Rose

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
To be honest, we still don’t know what the hell is wrong with him. I get why the secrecy, but it sucks for the fans that we lost our best player and we don’t really know why. All we know is that he is not available to play. Brutal luck.
It really is brutal luck, especially after game 2 when he looked so good. It felt like this was the year he was finally going to have a standout series but we are cursed so

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Matthews and Nylander combined for 109 goals. To put that in perspective, that's 40.8% of Boston's total goals for the year. One missed three games, the other about to miss his second.

It's not an excuse, but anyone who thinks that hasn't had a big bearing on this series isn't too bright.

But you win with what you've got. Dig deep again and force a Game 7.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
and the leaf fans keep telling everyone how good the bulb is gonna work next year!
Good one.
giphy.gif

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Matthews being absent in game 6 is a blessing in disguise for the Leafs just like in game 5. They seem to play more like a team when he is absent and that is what you need in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised this series goes 7.
I get the idea, but missing a 69-goal scorer is a terrible loss and makes us a much worse team. Especially when a healthy AM34 willed us to victory on his own in game 2

We struggle to score with him in the lineup, without him it's only going to be worse. For how good the Leafs played in game 5 they had 1 goal in regulation

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I get the idea, but missing a 69-goal scorer is a terrible loss and makes us a much worse team. Especially when a healthy AM34 willed us to victory on his own in game 2

We struggle to score with him in the lineup, without him it's only going to be worse. For how good the Leafs played in game 5 they had 1 goal in regulation
Hes not had a good series, but he is the best player on the team, you can cover for a game or 2 due to injury but you're right, the leafs would want him back sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad