Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT - THANK YOU JACK EDWARDS - Series tied 3-3

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I don’t care if they over achieved in the regular season. Being the first team in NHL history to choke away back to back 3-1 leads is unacceptable.
I mean this is what you are going to get from a portion of the fan base and probably ownership. It was a "bridge" year and yada yada yada to down play the choke.

I don't think we will have to worry though... 4-3 Bruins in OT.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
If they blow it (if….aka….when) it’s 2 years in a row they need one home win to advance. Pretty simple even though the 4th win is the hardest. Everyone in TO wanted the whole team blown up and the coach and president Shanahan fired last Saturday night. Now they are about to eliminate us. Wild. Well I cannot wait to hear Neely and Sweeney spin this one. This time next year will be go for the ‘3 in a row!’ being up 3-1 and gagging again??? The Heimlich Cup!!!!

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Bruins are cooked.
Swayman is going to get PAIIIIIID this off-season.
Marchand isn’t captain material. If he wants to go be a pest and chase Bertuzzi around all game, that’s fine, but you don’t do that shit as captain.
Coyle and Zacha are 2/3C or 2W etc.
Sweeney’s band-aids have come off and the wounds are still there.
Montgomery needs to go too. Great coach when things don’t really matter, terrible when it does.
Clown show.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I am 35 years old, currently moving into my first owned home, and having my first child this August. Not trying to be dramatic, just honest. I think, for the first time in my life, I’m taking a year off from the Bruins next year. It’s becoming extremely difficult to prioritize something that brings me so much tension and takes up an increasingly impactful amount of time.

I’m not faulting the team for that in any way. Regardless of what they do in terms of winning, the playoffs feel like running a goddamn marathon. Every other day.

I’m just curious, has anyone done this successfully? I know plenty of people have threatened to do it, but has anyone actually just done a single year off? I love this team and can’t imagine permanently eliminating a lifelong passion. Just curious if anyone has done time away, stuck to it, and then come back.

Reactions: Aeroforce and BTO

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I am 35 years old, currently moving into my first owned home, and having my first child this August. Not trying to be dramatic, just honest. I think, for the first time in my life, I’m taking a year off from the Bruins next year. It’s becoming extremely difficult to prioritize something that brings me so much tension and takes up an increasingly impactful amount of time.

I’m not faulting the team for that in any way. Regardless of what they do in terms of winning, the playoffs feel like running a goddamn marathon. Every other day.

I’m just curious, has anyone done this successfully? I know plenty of people have threatened to do it, but has anyone actually just done a single year off? I love this team and can’t imagine permanently eliminating a lifelong passion. Just curious if anyone has done time away, stuck to it, and then come back.
Happy for you bud. Great year, having your home and kid is amazing. Bruins remains a product, an entertainment. At some point, it needs to stay at that level imo.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I was livid after game 5, not last night, I expected the worst and the Bruins delivered. Whatever Monty is doing to get this team ready to play is not working, he has them playing passive hockey, the NFL version of the prevent defense. Why are they so scared of TO without Austin Mathews, I don't get it. The key to game 7 is the 1st goal, Boston gets it they likely win, if not, 95% chance they lose. And FFS start winning some faceoffs, their is no excuse for being absolutely dominated at the dot.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Congrats all around! I haven’t gone cold turkey, but a few years ago i stopped letting the bruins schedule dictate MY schedule. I’ll record games, but if i see something on accident, f*** it, there’s another game tomorrow. I watch when it’s convenient for me. A lot of times I’ll watch a Saturday night game 2-3 days later, and fast forward through much of it.

I’m annoyed this morning, but it’s purely on behalf of Jack Edwards. This team doesn’t have it and I’ve accepted it

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines

Back in the mid 80's, after yet another 1st round elimination to Montreal, I was so pissed that I convinced myself that I was done cheering for the Bruins, and that I was going to cheer for a team that could actually beat the Habs like the Nordiques or the Flyers.

Fast forward to October, and I was all in for another Bruins season!

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I'm telling you all right now if we miraculously win game 7 were giving Florida a tough time.
The Leafs have really been playing Florida’s style the last couple games and the Bruins haven’t been able to muster anything against them ,how could they possibly give Florida a tough time when Florida will do the same thing but be even better at it.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
That's still wrong because he should have arm up or blow whistle to call holding not allow a guy to drive him from behind its dangerous. That in no way protects players .He should have to answer for it in media, these guys to protected.
Could have been a penalty on both of them ,If the Leafs had scored on that play I would be furious ,they didn’t they scored because McAvoy iced the puck and they once again lost another face off.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Stepping back….is this really unexpected?

They are a good team, among a bunch of good teams because that’s what the playoffs are….a tournament of the 16 best teams in the league.

There are pluses and minuses to this and every team in the league.

Pluses, goaltending and defense.

Minuses, too many forwards playing above their talent level (at least 5) for stretches that are far too long. An impulsive coach. Not enough offensive talent on the back end.

Yes, Coyle and Zacha might be a fringe 1C and 2C tandem, but they aren’t legit, line driving players.

Heinen, Geekie, Frederic, third liners pretending to be second liners at times.

The problem with relying on guys who aren’t first or second liners to play those roles is that as the intensity of the playoffs increases and they have to play good to great teams in a series, their weaknesses become more apparent. They can get their points vs. the dregs of the league and in a ho-hum perfunctory game in February, but what happens when they are needed to produce at a high level for 6 straight weeks?

Sure, they could all be on a hot streak at the same time, but the opposite is also true.

Coyle has 2 assists and is getting brutalized at the dot most nights
Zacha also 2 assists and invisible for long stretches
Geekie 3 points…probably ok if he were a third liner..not enough given his PP time and 2nd line minutes
Frederic…given expectations/role probably the best performance of this group.
Heinen…1 assist, a minus 1 and his only assist was a basic pass that Marchand turned into an elite shot..otherwise he’s pointless (double entendre intended).

And that’s not even discussing the “role” players. Maroon, Beecher, Boqvist, JVR, Brazeau, who have been okay overall for what's expected ---- but when the top liners aren't doing what they need to do --- these guys contributions get watered down.

In the end, as frustrating as it is -- this is what this team is. They could play like they did in games 1, 3, 4 and roll to a 4-1 win on Saturday or they could do what they've done the last two games and grind their way to a frustrating 2-1 loss.

Either way, even if they provide a very unlikely/unexpected upset in the next two rounds, changes need to happen in the summer.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Zacha and Coyle go unscathed yet again when they are a majority of the probelm
Yeah and here’s the thing: they’re 3rd-line centres but guess what? They’re not playing against the McDavids or MacKinnons of the world, they played the last two games against, wait for it, 3rd-line centres, and were nowhere to be found. Coyle’s strong enough on the puck that he should be absolutely dominating the leafs’ D down low. Should be having monster games. But nope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad