Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
They could have drafted anyone and won rounds because they were winning rounds the year before he was there too. I guess the fact Pastrnak didn't completely sink a Cup contending team makes him a winner?
You do realize they missed the playoffs two times in his first two seasons right? In his breakout season they lost in 6, next year made the 2nd round and then went to the cup final the following year. They didnt even win a round the year prior to drafting him. They could have drafted anyone and done that? Do you even know what youre talking about anymore?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Way too many people acting like the series is done.

We'll have the whole summer to do the Leafs post mortem thing if they lose. Might as well hold off another day until we find out if they've actually lost.

I remember the same thing when the Leafs were up 3-1 on the Habs. Their fans were talking about how they matched up in the next round against the Jets lol. Let the series play out.

wikiwa

Apr 10, 2006
MTL
What is this Pastrnak argument in here? I imagine most Bruins fans genuinely do not care that he “only” has 4 points in 4 games while they’re up 3-1 in the series.

Marner is being shredded because the Leafs are down 3-1 in the series and he’s being scapegoated for the entire team not getting the job done.
Understand that for Leafs fans, individual stats come before team success by priorities. That's why they don't mind getting embarrassed year after year in the playoffs, as long as they can brag about a not so 70 goal scorer. Core 4 baby!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

We'll have the whole summer to do the Leafs post mortem thing if they lose. Might as well hold off another day until we find out if they've actually lost.

I remember the same thing when the Leafs were up 3-1 on the Habs. Their fans were talking about how they matched up in the next round against the Jets lol. Let the series play out.
I can tell you right now any logical Bruins fan knows this is far from over, lots of ptsd from last year

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I can tell you right now any logical Bruins fan knows this is far from over, lots of ptsd from last year
I've lost faith in this group man, there's series where guys show push back, some emotion, some sort of fight, that hasn't been the case. It's 3-1 and the losing team looks like they don't care about competing.

I had faith in years past, but after seeing the "effort" from last game, this ones over, I'm just happy to see 1 more game and then a long summer lol

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Leafs discourse seems to bring out terrible takes on all sides of the equation, from media and fans alike. Hindsight based criticisms about individuals that won't bear out as soon as they go elsewhere on one side, flimsy defenses and confidence with little justification on the other side. Reactionary takes across the board.

Reactions: dukeofjive

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I've lost faith in this group man, there's series where guys show push back, some emotion, some sort of fight, that hasn't been the case. It's 3-1 and the losing team looks like they don't care about competing.

I had faith in years past, but after seeing the "effort" from last game, this ones over, I'm just happy to see 1 more game and then a long summer lol
Yeah it doesn't look good but really you never know. One solid effort can turn things around and put that seed of doubt in the Bruins.

I really want them to end it tomorrow because I know it's going to game 7 if they don't.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
To be fair leaf fans find a new scape goat every year to avoid throwing any blame on matthews

Is matthews the problem, no
Is he the solution, he hasn’t shown he can be yet

But to be fair he's been easily the best leaf this playoff, leading the team in scoring while being so sick that his team doctor pulled him from game 4. Guy is leading in goals, points, 2nd in team hits and has honestly been the only forward who's looked like they've gave a damn outside of our 4th line.

Marner has been awful, Tavares 1 point in 4 games, beeves and butthead can't stay out of the box, our defence has been non existent and Keefe has been outcoached.

There's a whole lot of problems with our roster, team effort, etc. But Matthews is the last person that deserves blame, I know and you do too.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
the Leafiest thing that will likely happen is they come back and win Game 5 and 6 and then not even bother showing up in Game 7

at this point I would rather just see them get embarrassed like cant even get out of their own zone the entire game, so I can finally see this core get blown up

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I can’t speak for all Bruins fans, but I think the overwhelming majority of us are very well aware that this isn’t over.

Just in the last 20 years I’ve seen the Bruins lose two series that they led 3-1 and one series they led 3-0.

Every effort should be made to put this one away tomorrow night and move on.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

I cant wait to see them get destroyed and the team is blown up starting with Shanny, Keefe and our PP coach getting fired

Reactions: AvroArrow

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
the Leafiest thing that will likely happen is they come back and win Game 5 and 6 and then not even bother showing up in Game 7

at this point I would rather just see them get embarrassed like cant even get out of their own zone the entire game, so I can finally see this core get blown up

Nope, once they win game 5 they will begin to believe in their destiny, 6 and 7 will be a formality.

I cant wait to see them get destroyed and the team is blown up starting with Shanny, Keefe and our PP coach getting fired

I seriously don't get the hate for Shanahan unless you haven't been following this team since the early 90s then I guess you haven't seen what bad really is

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Let me preface this by saying this isn't an excuse. Not at all.

But let's not pretend he's been invisible. He's got 23 G and 47 P in 54 playoff games. It's not like he's been a no show. And 14 of those games were head-to-head against probably the best two-way C to ever play the game. He had 5G and 4A ins 6GP in the Tampa series last year, then was completely shut down by Barkov and the Panthers in R2.

Matthews has taken plenty of heat, especially in those back to back series vs. BOS. But he's the least of the Leafs' problems. That said, he needs to find that next gear more consistently. See McDrai.

He's been off since after Game 2. It's obvious he's either got massive shits or is hurt. Again, not an excuse. It's not why we are down 3-1.
Keefe has not done Matthews, or Marner for that matter, any favors over the years in the playoffs either. I go back to the Mtl series as an example. In the 3 games (Game 5,6,7) where the Leafs could have finished off that series, Keefe did nothing to get them away from the Danault/Gallagher/Evans line when he had last change for 2 of those 3 games. He seemed more concerned with maximizing their minutes than putting them in a position to succeed. That Danault line was going out there with no thought to scoring, their job was to limit the damage.

Keefe never tried to get away from the matchup. Compare that to how Cooper played his stars against Mtl in the finals that year. Danault got on the ice Kucherov line got off. He matched his best offensive players against the Suzuki line seeing that A) they were not as good at defending and B) by forcing mtls most dangerous offensive line to play defense he was killing 2 birds with one stone.

Keefe's bench management has always been awful, and it still his. Leaving Matthews line on after PP to get hemmed in the other night when they were already half gassed, playing is 4th line with 3 mins left in a game you are down by 2 in.

Playoffs are a different beast. Playing against Danaults, Bergerons, Barkovs etc is not easy in playoffs when a goal prevented is as impt as one scored. Coaches and players need to adjust.

There are a lot of reasons for Leafs lack of success

Roster make up - too top heavy. Coaching - player usage, lack of accountability on players coaches everyone. It's not just one thing. There is no magic fix but a coach management team who instills a team 1st, team results over individual results mentality would go a long way.

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
While the Leafs have been trash, no argument there, this doesn't happen in a vacuum. The Bruins are not being given the credit they deserve for exposing the Leafs. The Bruins for the majority of 4 games have played solid, smart playoff hockey. They are grinding, clearing the puck, taking advantage of opportunities, and finishing when they need to. This is something that was missing last season against the cats.

For me, game 5 is where we as Bruins fans find out what we have in this team. Even when they have advanced, over the past 12 years when given the opportunity to finish a series and avoid playing unnecessary games and resting for the next opponent, they have taken games and teams lightly with the idea they had more opportunities to win a series. An instinct to kill is required. How they approach game 5 will tell us if they have really learned anything. The Leafs are down, the Bruins need to finish them in an efficient and business like manner.

btw, my first post. I'm new here but a Bruins fan going back to the early 70s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad