Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Marner has been pretty terrible. Aside from game 2, Matthews hasn’t been much better. Domi can’t screw his head on straight. Has Tavares even played? Defensively they are a train wreck, and the goaltending has been beer league level.

Really unfair to pin this on Marner IMO. It’s not a Marner issue, it’s a total team issue.
I don’t get all the hate towards one guy, this is a team issue, a team that has very low hockey IQ coupled with a complete lack of desire to compete. That’s a devastating combo to have in this league.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don’t get all the hate towards one guy, this is a team issue, a team that has very low hockey IQ coupled with a complete lack of desire to compete. That’s a devastating combo to have in this league.
For a team that is struggling so bad with special teams play, they sure are very generous with the shitty penalties too

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Marner has pretty much been the least noticeable out of the big 3 for a few playoff runs.

He's the dumbass that got a delay of game penalty to give the Habs a 5 on 3 when be had a bunch of time to just lob it down, but instead flipped it 100 feet in the air for some unknown reason.

Saw on here in games 5, 6 and 7 he has 1 goal.

The fans can't get rid of the entire team. They know one of the big 4 has to go, the likely option is Tavares, but he's probably not going to waive, Marner won't.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
For a team that is struggling so bad with special teams play, they sure are very generous with the shitty penalties too
So we can add undisciplined to the list, marner is becoming the scapegoat to cover up for a management team that shouldn’t be allowed to build an ahl team.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Marner has pretty much been the least noticeable out of the big 3 for a few playoff runs.

He's the dumbass that got a delay of game penalty to give the Habs a 5 on 3 when be had a bunch of time to just lob it down, but instead flipped it 100 feet in the air for some unknown reason.

The fans can't get rid of the entire team. They know one of the big 4 has to go, the likely option is Tavares, but he's probably not going to waive, Marner won't.
The players aren’t the problem, it’s the guys that are building this team. Management may have been great players in a past life , but they very clearly don’t have the skill set to build a well rounded team.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah we already established half his points came on an empty net.

A young Pastrnak was good in the playoffs. He’s had worse stats than the core 4 the last 3 years prior to this. This year it’s also worse but luckily for him Samsonov was out of the net for him to rack up 50% of his points on the empty net assists.
What stats are worse than the core 4 the last 3 years before this one. Certainly not goals unless you get to add all 4 guys together

Pasta 25 GP 15 goals
Nylander 25 GP 12 goals
Matthews 25 GP 10 goals
Marner 25 GP 5 goals
Tavares 19 GP 7 goals

He has out scored all of them. Matthews is supposed to be the best goal scorer but come playoff time it seems its Pasta

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Yeah I’m saying his comments are ridiculous. Pastrnak hasn’t had a good series and he’s not run out of town. Marner and Pastrnak have the same number of points this series if it wasn’t for Pastrnak’s empty net assists.
Pastrnak is actually out there trying rather than crying. He's getting hit constantly and you know what he does about it? He hits back. Or first.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What stats are worse than the core 4 the last 3 years before this one. Certainly not goals unless you get to add all 4 guys together

Pasta 25 GP 15 goals
Nylander 25 GP 12 goals
Matthews 25 GP 10 goals
Marner 25 GP 5 goals
Tavares 19 GP 7 goals

He has out scored all of them. Matthews is supposed to be the best goal scorer but come playoff time it seems its Pasta

Look at total points.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Yeah that makes sense. And you obviously don’t get rid of the guy who has 3 Rockets, A Hart etc.
That said, Matthews has been just as disappointing imo.
And I’m not really even including this year as he looked like death warmed over on the bench the other night. He’s really in a bad way imo.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Marner has too much sway in the locker room. He is (and has been) the most immature player on an immature team.

He is a superstar player, but he wilts under pressure. Like the rest of the team.

The thinking is that removing Marner’s influence will help the team’s heart and courage

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Look at total points.
Don't mind if I do (do you think I would not have checked points too)

Pasta 25 GP 26 points
Nylander 25 GP 25 points
Matthews 25 GP 25 points
Marner 25 GP 26 points
Tavares 19 GP 14 points

Well, Willy equaled him but I believe you said Pasta had worse stats than the core 4 yet none of them have a better point total or points per game than him in those 3 years and on goals its not even close.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Don't mind if I do (do you think I would not have checked points too)

Pasta 25 GP 26 points
Nylander 25 GP 25 points
Matthews 25 GP 25 points
Marner 25 GP 26 points
Tavares 19 GP 14 points

Well, Willy equaled him but I believe you said Pasta had worse stats than the core 4 yet none of them have a better point total or points per game than him in those 3 years and on goals its not even close.

I just want to be clear:

26 points = elite playoff resume
25 points = playoff chokers

?

Reactions: AvroArrow

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Leaf fans need to stop making excuses. It's getting tiresome. This team, for whatever reason, just can't seem it get it done come playoff time. They're out of excuses. The only thing that changes perception is rallying to win this series. Even stretching it to 7 games won't be enough.

I'll say it again: you have to tip your cap to the Bruins. They have played the Leafs perfectly all season. Take away the high-danger chances in front of the net, clog up everything and force a lot of perimeter play. They are taking the Leafs' greatest strength away from them. And when the Leafs are able to open things up, the B's have a brick wall as the final line of defense.

Monty gets it. Keefe? He's a tard. Can never make the right adjustments, year after year. You're down two goals in the final few minutes and you've got Reaves out there? Like, WTAF? See what the Canucks did yesterday in the final few minutes? Keefe is f***ing tone deaf on everything hockey.

You can call it what you want. Lack of drive, no will to win. I don't think that's necessarily the whole story. They definitely have the skill, and I have no doubt they want to win. Come on. They're professional athletes. But the Bruins had a plan, and they've executed it to perfection.

They want to win. They just don't know how, even after all these years.

If they don't make a near-impossible comeback, there will be big changes, and rightfully so.

Reactions: Score8

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I just wanted to be clear equal too or greater than starts are actually worse?

Because this entire argument was you saying that Pasta actually performed worse than the core 4.

Well, the last 2 years the Core 3 did.

The Leafs cores playoff stats have been improving while Pastrnak's has been declining.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Look at total points.
You should just stop.......you're getting lit up worse than Samsonov.

Pasta has played great all series, for a superstar, he's been getting knocked around and says nothing, just goes out and scores or in your eyes, gets empty net assists. Let's talk about Marchand then vs your core 4. Marchand-8pts vs Core 4- 6pts. Just an FYI Marchy is 35 years old as well!

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Well, the last 2 years the Core 3 did.

The Leafs cores playoff stats have been improving while Pastrnak's has been declining.

Yeah we already established half his points came on an empty net.

A young Pastrnak was good in the playoffs. He’s had worse stats than the core 4 the last 3 years prior to this. This year it’s also worse but luckily for him Samsonov was out of the net for him to rack up 50% of his points on the empty net assists.

Ah so now it’s only the last 2 years.

But not this year.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Ah so now it’s only the last 2 years.

Or the last year, pick your poison.

Basically:

Last 5+ years = Pastrnak better
Last 4 years = Identical stats
Last 3 years = Idential stats
Last 2 years = Core 3 better (minus Tavares)
Last year = Core 3 better

I'm just saying it's ridiculous to call Pastrnak some elite playoff performers and the Leafs core a playoff bust when the stats are similar the last 3 years.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I just want to be clear:

26 points = elite playoff resume
25 points = playoff chokers

?
You said "A young Pastrnak was good in the playoffs. He’s had worse stats than the core 4 the last 3 years prior to this."

You also said "The Leafs core 4 had better playoff stats than Pastrnak the last 3 years."

All I am saying is they did not. show me some stats that prove your 2 statements. Only Nylander equaled him in points in those years, none beat him and he outscored each and everyone of them on goals. heck his 15 goals equals Matthews and Marner combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis