ECHL: Wranglers’ arena woes

tvboy11

May 3, 2013
Creativity comes easier when you're desperate. Don't kid yourself, if staying at the Orleans was Plan A, this is about Plan J. Wranglers fans are lucky there were enough options in place to get to a Plan J with all the hotels and event space.

I do appreciate the work the Wranglers have done to keep the team alive. For the sake of the rest of the conference, I hope it works. Concessions, bathrooms, ADA compliance, locker rooms. A lot of work to be done.

lvwranglersfan

Jun 8, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Creativity comes easier when you're desperate. Don't kid yourself, if staying at the Orleans was Plan A, this is about Plan J. Wranglers fans are lucky there were enough options in place to get to a Plan J with all the hotels and event space.

I do appreciate the work the Wranglers have done to keep the team alive. For the sake of the rest of the conference, I hope it works. Concessions, bathrooms, ADA compliance, locker rooms. A lot of work to be done.

Locker rooms are accounted for. The hotel is giving the team the entire 5th floor, which is the floor the arena will be on. The locker rooms will be there as well as the teams offices, media rooms, etc. I've been wondering about the concessions and restrooms but I am sure they have taken it into account. This opens up all kinds of revenue stream possibilities because of the restraints the Orleans put on them, so hopefully it works as Billy thinks it will. I personally have some doubts, but I am willing to wait and see.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Instead of people complaining about the move or having doubts - why don't you see what you can do to help make this move a success. Start off with renewing your season tickets & if you don't have one, buy one or a smaller package. And then get the word out about the team and have a great 2014-2015 season.

We lost our team in Johnstown (have junior league hockey now), but I know there are many fans who wish the ECHL never left. The last owner never did much advertising about the team or putting $$$ into the team to attract players. Declining attendance didn't help as well. Johnstown will never again get a minor pro team.

So I decided to adopt the Wranglers as my new "home" team.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
I do wonder how they will get 3500 people up to the 5th floor. that's a long wait for an elevator if you are number 3498 in line.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I do wonder how they will get 3500 people up to the 5th floor. that's a long wait for an elevator if you are number 3498 in line.

They have six elevators in one tower and at least four more in the other -- I wouldn't be at all surprised if others exist that guests weren't previously made aware of that will become available for this purpose.

But yes, they really need to make sure they're on top of the elevator maintenance, that's a good point.

lvwranglersfan

Jun 8, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Instead of people complaining about the move or having doubts - why don't you see what you can do to help make this move a success. Start off with renewing your season tickets & if you don't have one, buy one or a smaller package. And then get the word out about the team and have a great 2014-2015 season.

While I understand your point, especially since you lost your team, those of us with doubts only have those because this is in such an early stage we don't know any details. We can't renew our season tickets yet, because they don't have a design for the building and don't know exactly how the seats will be arranged, etc. It is only natural to wonder at this point.

I have been involved in the team's booster club since its inception so you don't need to worry about me contributing to the success of the team. I have been a season ticket holder for 8 years now and I will continue to be.

And in general I like the idea of their own building, but the fact that it is a tent-like structure worries me, and the downtown location is foreign to me as I never go there. But in my conversations with people, no one said they won't go there, but they all worry about the type of people our downtown area attracts.

And to answer the other question, yes, this season will be played entirely at the Orleans, they move next season.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Didn't mean to put you on the spot or make it seems everything was directed at you. But I have read a few posts "fans" put on Facebook and wondered if they truly were fans of the Wranglers.
It might seem strange playing in a tent, but be glad they had that option. it is for 5 years, with a 5 year option if I am correct. Maybe during the first 5 years they can find or build a more suitable arena and move the team - who knows.
Lots in the world to get uptight about, but enjoy your team and hope you can surprise a few teams in this years playoffs.

And by the way - I live in Peru and we have no ice rinks or most people have never even heard about hockey. I pick up games over the internet via radio or live hookups.

lvwranglersfan

Jun 8, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Didn't mean to put you on the spot or make it seems everything was directed at you. But I have read a few posts "fans" put on Facebook and wondered if they truly were fans of the Wranglers.
It might seem strange playing in a tent, but be glad they had that option. it is for 5 years, with a 5 year option if I am correct. Maybe during the first 5 years they can find or build a more suitable arena and move the team - who knows.
Lots in the world to get uptight about, but enjoy your team and hope you can surprise a few teams in this years playoffs.

And by the way - I live in Peru and we have no ice rinks or most people have never even heard about hockey. I pick up games over the internet via radio or live hookups.

No offense taken, I was just making sure it was known that not much has been disclosed at this point so there is bound to be some that are apprehensive. And trust me, I understand there are other things to worry about. I actually had some pretty major surgery 3 weeks ago, and at that point, I couldn't have cared less what happened to the Wranglers. But as I have been recovering, the Wranglers have helped me get through it by being a distraction, even if they aren't winning. My main point was that once they disclose plans and more concrete details, the support hopefully will grow. Right now people, I think, are envisioning like a circus tent, not what it will actually look like.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
No offense taken, I was just making sure it was known that not much has been disclosed at this point so there is bound to be some that are apprehensive. And trust me, I understand there are other things to worry about. I actually had some pretty major surgery 3 weeks ago, and at that point, I couldn't have cared less what happened to the Wranglers. But as I have been recovering, the Wranglers have helped me get through it by being a distraction, even if they aren't winning. My main point was that once they disclose plans and more concrete details, the support hopefully will grow. Right now people, I think, are envisioning like a circus tent, not what it will actually look like.

I like the circus tent idea. Afterall we do have the three ring leaders with two linesman and one ref as the master of ceremonies.

Honestly I ams ure they will do something. Theyw ill also have the suport of their season ticket holders regardless of where it is. It will come down to will it be good enough for the walk up fan or will they go somewhere else.

lvwranglersfan

Jun 8, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I like the circus tent idea. After all we do have the three ring leaders with two linesman and one ref as the master of ceremonies.

Honestly I am sure they will do something. They will also have the support of their season ticket holders regardless of where it is. It will come down to will it be good enough for the walk up fan or will they go somewhere else.

I can see the challenge with walk ups, however, if they can pull 3000 on a Tuesday at the Orleans, I think they can probably do the same downtown. I think the shrinking of the venue will help them sell season tickets because people want to assure they have a seat. Also, the Orleans refused to do any promotion for the Wranglers, and I am pretty sure the Plaza won't have that issue. Also, if season ticket holders get free parking, which is being discussed, that could help sway the people who go to a lot of games on a walk up basis.

Brodie562

Oct 3, 2003
LBC
Visit site
Mid night games!! Sweet

Ill be in vegas next week and plan on catching a game. Sounds like a pretty good deal for them. Glad they figured something out.

lvwranglersfan

Jun 8, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Mid night games!! Sweet

We already have midnight games, 2 a year. And the attendance is lower than the average for those games. Them saying they are going to have more midnight games actually may affect me renewing my season tickets. As it is, we waste 6 tickets on midnight games because my kids can't go that late. If they do more, I will waste more tickets that I would have paid for. And I know several more season ticket holders in the same situation. It just seems the Wranglers are trying to get the walk up sales at the expense of their season ticket holders because they already have our money. Not a great way to do business in my mind.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
We already have midnight games, 2 a year. And the attendance is lower than the average for those games. Them saying they are going to have more midnight games actually may affect me renewing my season tickets. As it is, we waste 6 tickets on midnight games because my kids can't go that late. If they do more, I will waste more tickets that I would have paid for. And I know several more season ticket holders in the same situation. It just seems the Wranglers are trying to get the walk up sales at the expense of their season ticket holders because they already have our money. Not a great way to do business in my mind.

I would have to agree with that. My guess is that the players really don't care for playing that late at night, either... that would really mess up their usual game day routine, I would think.

Seems like the least they could do is offer the STH's a "no wasted ticket" policy, wherein you can exchange unused season tickets for a seat at a future game

lvwranglersfan

Jun 8, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Seems like the least they could do is offer the STH's a "no wasted ticket" policy, wherein you can exchange unused season tickets for a seat at a future game

They do, but considering I have 2 kids and 1 adult ticket that would go unused for each game, it is challenging to find someone to use them, especially if the capacity is going to be 3500 which is well under what it is now, so tickets will be a little more harder to come by. And I do know, the off ice officials are going to refuse to work the midnight games since they all work other jobs the next day.

goalie41

Feb 7, 2009
This is a shame for the Wranglers, the Plaza is a dump!!! Even with it's remodel a few years ago, the place is a dump. Drunks and the homeless hang out in this place. There are no "hidden" elevators to get to the 5th floor. This will have a novelty effect for a season or two, but reality will settle in and a new home will be searched for again in a short period of time. I hope I am wrong.......but I am not very optimistic here.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Interesting move for the Wranglers! I for one am excited. The face of downtown is already changing and in the next 5 years will have completely changed. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the downtown area and are thinking about getting season tickets.

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
They are playing ON a roof??? Pictures needed. Lol

Correction. Playing where the pool was. It's not like ice plants haven't come a long way from back in the day and we are talking about Vegas. It will be something special.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Correction. Playing where the pool was. It's not like ice plants haven't come a long way from back in the day and we are talking about Vegas. It will be something special.

Regardless of how "special" it will be, I will NOT be going to any more LV games and I go to LV enough times during the year for my daughter's dance competitions. I loved the Orleans and went their regularly when the Condors played there over the history of the franchise. Now.....sorry....i am not going to downtown to sit where a pool used to be on top of a roof under a tent. I am sure they will get lots of support or at least i hope so as I do not want to see the west lose another team.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org

Correction. Playing NEXT to the pool where the basketball/tennis "sport courts" used to be, in an enclosed structure, not on the roof in the open sunlight.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm torn on this.

On the one hand, it sounds very cool, and the hotel is providing resources for the team.

But, on the other hand, it screams "gimmick".

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I'm torn on this.

On the one hand, it sounds very cool, and the hotel is providing resources for the team.

But, on the other hand, it screams "gimmick".

It sounds desperate. None of the 'normal' arenas will take them so they are doing what I would call a Hail Mary and hope it works. I do not see this working out. It could mean the demise of a franchise which once dominated the west coast of the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad