ECHL to 30 Teams?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Savannah and manchester would come in at the same time I believe, unless norfolk folds
It would be handy if they did, but probably would only be simultaneous if it just happens to work out that way for the two ownership groups. The league isn't going to make a team wait just because the divisions would be uneven. At one point the northeast division was so much larger than the northwest (like 5 teams vs 9 if I remember correctly) that they had an extra playoff round to supposedly make it more fair.
well obviously I am not the brightest. I meant one of them to be Clarksville TN
Easy enough to make a mistake when typing in a large list like that. I've been guilty of the same myself.

Reactions: Atlantian

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
While I share your overall sentiment on SA as a not-bloody-likely landing spot for ECHL hockey, the city does have an "other arena" in the Alamodome. It has a functional ice plant (as witnessed by this recent job posting), which history shows is more than enough for hockey fans to include a city repeatedly in such speculative discussions. :popcorn:

If anything shows an ability to support professional hockey, it is a football arena in one of the most humid parts of the continent with an interest to make ice.:thumbu:

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Savannah and manchester would come in at the same time I believe, unless norfolk folds
Everything has been quiet regarding Manchester.
Any evidence to support San Antonio's willingness or capability to attract an ECHL franchise? There has been plenty of evidence to show hockey will not return.
Its pretty obvious that the spurs could no longer afford to loose money on the purchases peter holt made during the years Tim Duncan played for the spurs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Heard something interesting from a reliable source. What do you guys think about Albuquerque
A) WHO'S THE owner, is that owner an NHL Organization?;

b) what NHL organization not already committed to an existing ECHL Market would operate it, if not own it;

c) the way New Mexico is in the midst of the pandemic, in regards to existing business already active, if not postponed/suspended/delayed

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Worked out so well in the CHL, it couldn't possibly fail again now that it'd be nine hours from its nearest opponent!
First half of the season, traveling team (ripping a page from the FPHL Playbook). Second half of the season, hosting the rest of the League in the high desert climes of All-Beef-Jerky (good spot for an ASG weekend, too). :badidea:

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
First half of the season, traveling team (ripping a page from the FPHL Playbook). Second half of the season, hosting the rest of the League in the high desert climes of All-Beef-Jerky (good spot for an ASG weekend, too). :badidea:

They actually did well when they were in Albuquerque, and then Kozuback, huckster that he is, sold Rio Rancho on paying ICC to build and manage an arena the city couldn't afford that was near nothing anyone wanted to go to (which was, of course, the business plan for ICC).

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
WHO'S THE owner, is that owner an NHL Organization?;
Would not be owned by an NHL org. I had just heard there have been talks with a few cities by an ownership group and I did not know too much about the arena situation in Albuquerque. I don’t think it would work out compared to another city mentioned especially with the large travel distance between teams in that division.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Would not be owned by an NHL org. I had just heard there have been talks with a few cities by an ownership group and I did not know too much about the arena situation in Albuquerque. I don’t think it would work out compared to another city mentioned especially with the large travel distance between teams in that division.

Perhaps your "reliable source" can fill you in on the details...

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
As someone who likes Albuquerque and can somehow straddle the fence on the green v red chile debate (I'm 6'4" and am therefore under the delusion that I could be there and not get called on the carpet about it)... if only you could add El Paso to the discussion. That's the rivalry you want.

But who's actually going to build an arena where one should be?

Frankly, the people who put together New Mexico United hit the sports jackpot in Albuquerque, and that's because it's the right market. Getting them their own stadium will end up being a higher priority for government types than trying to bring back hockey. Getting that stadium probably isn't a high priority in the first place.

JimB

Jan 8, 2007
Virginia Beach
I'll note that the owner of Albuquerque's AAA baseball team is Ken Young, former owner of the Norfolk Admirals. I suspect he's had enough of hockey however.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'll note that the owner of Albuquerque's AAA baseball team is Ken Young, former owner of the Norfolk Admirals. I suspect he's had enough of hockey however.
Stranger notions have fueled this Board. :badidea:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad