Series Talk: ECF: New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers *Game 1 Wednesday 5/22 @ 8pm ET*

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If fully healthy I would go this way

I wouldnt trust Chytil in the middle defensively against most teams, especially coming back cold and against a deep Panthers squad

Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Kreider Mika Roslovic
Chytil Wennberg Kakko
Cuylle Goodrow Vesey

Even if Wheeler is ready, Im not sure I put him and his repaired knee in over Vesey or Cuylle. If one has to come out i'd like it to be Vesey since you can put Wheelers right handed shot where it should be, but it will be Cuylle due to seniority and because Vesey is an effective PK man, something Cuylle is not. That almost assures Vesey will stay in the lineup. I'd be surprised if he's taken out, regardless of his play. He does need to be better at even strength.

With that said, I'm not taking Cuylle, his young legs and speed, his shot and his competitiveness and checking prowess out of this lineup for Wheeler, who hasn't played in 3 months and is slow as molasses... Hell f***ing no. HARD pass

To switch things up after a loss with Vesey the odd man out? Fine. As long as they feel they are ok on the PK, which im unsure of. If so, then Wheeler and Kakko can be interchanged (even Roslovic if he fades) and you can see what Blake can do.

Regardless, if anyone goes down on the right, you have a "fresh" Wheeler ready to go, which to me is an upgrade over Brodz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackson Ranger

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'd be shocked if Chytil comes back and plays in the middle, at any point.

Maybe in the final if they reach that far and hes going off on both sides of the rink. Maybe. But its a longshot.

I dont think this staff trusts him that much over Wennberg and/or Goodrow up the middle in what is a very important two-way role this time of year.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Our entire bottom six is a non-factor. I see plenty of places to get Wheeler a look.
Yea. If we have trouble scoring, I'm sure the coaches inject Wheeler because he does have a history of scoring. Whether that is buried so far in his history to mean squat is another question. But I do see that as a possibility with this staff.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I would do this on the bottom 6 with Wheeler healthy:
Cuylle-Chytil-Wheeler
Goodrow-Wennberg-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Kakko would be pretty solid defensively but as others have stated, maybe throwing Chytil right into the center position is not the best play here. I believe he's also our worst faceoff center which could kill us in the playoffs.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Panthers fans are really dying on this hill that they've faced the hardest competition each of the last two years.

My guys, you beat the Bruins. The Bruins are like, the most unserious team in the playoffs every year.

The Bruins haven't beaten a good team in the playoffs in like 11 years. In 2019, they had the easiest path to the Cup of all-time and still didn't win it.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Personally, I think there's a bunch of ways the forwards can be put together and none of them make that big of a difference. Vesey and Goodrow need to stay in for their PK roles. Wennberg is safe for the same reason. Complain about Kakko all you want but he reliably wears down and keeps the puck out of the other teams hands and there is still some offensive ability there.

Cuylle, Rempe, Brodzinski, Wheeler, and Chytil... 2 spots. I think the choices are obvious. Two guys there have done something at the NHL level tbh. Then I rank it Brod, Cuylle, Rempe at this point. JMO.

The biggest challenge facing the Rangers right now is not our forwards. It's our best player. Apologies to Panarin: Adam Fox is and always has been the straw stirring the drink. You can say these two bottom six lines are killing offense, but I think you have to be looking more at the defense for that issue. Fox leads the D with 4 points. He leads them at 5v5 with 2.

Carolina's defense is deep and Slavin is a defensive monster, but their not a particularly dynamic group. I think they work as a 'sum of their parts' group, but they don't really have that true #1 playing every situation and taking over games that the true contenders always do. I've always believed that more than goalie, or center, or anything else, having that 1D -- Keith, Doughty, Hedman, Letang, etc. -- is the most important piece to contending. Fox had IMO one of the most underrated PO runs for a defenseman in 2022 (just like McDonagh in '14). This year, he's hobbled.

If he can't drive the bus like usual, and if he has to pick between defending and attacking, I don't like our chances. Florida is an intense opponent. Barkov is playing the best hockey of his career. Verhaege is gonna cause us fits. Tkchuck and Reinhart... I mean they are deep with playoff stars. And they're hungry. They've only played one more game than we have and they've had arguably the tougher path on paper.

Reactions: CLW

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Panthers fans are really dying on this hill that they've faced the hardest competition each of the last two years.

My guys, you beat the Bruins. The Bruins are like, the most unserious team in the playoffs every year.

The Bruins haven't beaten a good team in the playoffs in like 11 years. In 2019, they had the easiest path to the Cup of all-time and still didn't win it.
Yeah Tampa and Bruins still coasting on their reputations.
Tampa has like 1 line, though admittedly a great player driving it, and Boston has like...1 good offensive player and a good goalie.

Carolina was a far harder test than either of those teams

However, I also see the idea of "but we swept Carolina last year they're nothing!" that has stuck in Panthers fans heads

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Personally, I think there's a bunch of ways the forwards can be put together and none of them make that big of a difference. Vesey and Goodrow need to stay in for their PK roles. Wennberg is safe for the same reason. Complain about Kakko all you want but he reliably wears down and keeps the puck out of the other teams hands and there is still some offensive ability there.

Cuylle, Rempe, Brodzinski, Wheeler, and Chytil... 2 spots. I think the choices are obvious. Two guys there have done something at the NHL level tbh. Then I rank it Brod, Cuylle, Rempe at this point. JMO.

The biggest challenge facing the Rangers right now is not our forwards. It's our best player. Apologies to Panarin: Adam Fox is and always has been the straw stirring the drink. You can say these two bottom six lines are killing offense, but I think you have to be looking more at the defense for that issue. Fox leads the D with 4 points. He leads them at 5v5 with 2.

Carolina's defense is deep and Slavin is a defensive monster, but their not a particularly dynamic group. I think they work as a 'sum of their parts' group, but they don't really have that true #1 playing every situation and taking over games that the true contenders always do. I've always believed that more than goalie, or center, or anything else, having that 1D -- Keith, Doughty, Hedman, Letang, etc. -- is the most important piece to contending. Fox had IMO one of the most underrated PO runs for a defenseman in 2022 (just like McDonagh in '14). This year, he's hobbled.

If he can't drive the bus like usual, and if he has to pick between defending and attacking, I don't like our chances. Florida is an intense opponent. Barkov is playing the best hockey of his career. Verhaege is gonna cause us fits. Tkchuck and Reinhart... I mean they are deep with playoff stars. And they're hungry. They've only played one more game than we have and they've had arguably the tougher path on paper.
Some of how Carolina was playing made it tough for the Rangers D to jump in as much and you tend to not put up as many points when you can't step up and play in the offensive zone.
Carolina really liked trying to slip a guy behind the Rangers or park someone at the Rangers blue line whenever they could. Their pressure on the PK made it harder for Fox to escape and make plays when he was playing on one leg.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tampa has like 1 line, though admittedly a great player driving it, and Boston has like...1 good offensive player and a good goalie.

However, I also see the idea of "but we swept Carolina last year they're nothing!" that has stuck in Panthers fans heads
We almost swept them too and those 4 games were torture!

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I'd be shocked if Chytil comes back and plays in the middle, at any point.

Maybe in the final if they reach that far and hes going off on both sides of the rink. Maybe. But its a longshot.

I dont think this staff trusts him that much over Wennberg and/or Goodrow up the middle in what is a very important two-way role this time of year.
Nothing like taking a very rusty player and making them play a position they are inexperienced and bad at

Reactions: CLW and Larrybiv

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Nothing like taking a very rusty player and making them play a position they are inexperienced and bad at
Fil wasn't half bad playing out of position and coming off a 6 month absence, especially in the 3rd period. It's not like we are demoting Mike Bossy to play him in that spot.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Fil wasn't half bad playing out of position and coming off a 6 month absence, especially in the 3rd period. It's not like we are demoting Mike Bossy to play him in that spot.
I just mean the bigger sample of chytil always being bad as a wing and awesome as a center. I’d trust a single one of chytils pube hairs with responsibility before wennberg or Goodrow

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

They played a Canes team without Svech or Guentzel. Much easier.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I would just throw Chytil back into center on that third line in between Cuylle and Kakko, especially at home. Make a good matchup fourth line with Wennberg and take advantage of line matching at home. Give that third line the best chance to get their offensive games going and gain some confidence. The Kakko hate by some is a bit absurd with some ppl trying to replace him with Wheeler. I don't really see a spot for Wheeler unless Rosy gets injured and he slots back onto the Mika line. He's a great passer and can feed Mika/Chris but the rest of his game is complete ass at this point.

Reactions: CLW and FUZfan

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Speaking of tickets. My lesser dream came true. (!st is winning the Cup) My dream match-up of Rangers/Panthers. Just bought a ticket to Sunday's game. I'm an oldtimer but man......those prices? I'm not broke, and not frugal. But man, I expected to pay over $500 for the ticket (actually $631) but man oh man $131.00 for parking? You guys have trains everywhere you wanna go, I remember those days, count your blessings!
Just park at Sawgrass and walk over

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I would just throw Chytil back into center on that third line in between Cuylle and Kakko, especially at home. Make a good matchup fourth line with Wennberg and take advantage of line matching at home. Give that third line the best chance to get their offensive games going and gain some confidence. The Kakko hate by some is a bit absurd with some ppl trying to replace him with Wheeler. I don't really see a spot for Wheeler unless Rosy gets injured and he slots back onto the Mika line. He's a great passer and can feed Mika/Chris but the rest of his game is complete ass at this point.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: skipmowerman

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Have a real dilemma going on in my head. NEED HELP! I'm going to game #3. Best case scenario for our Rangers entering game #3, is winning both at MSG. Thing is, after that Canes series and going up 3-0 well, that became a little scary and possible imminent choking with that huge lead. Winning a Panthers 3rd game, taking a 3-0 lead like the Canes seems like nary a chance to me.
Bottom line is no way and no how do I want to leave Amerant arena with my head down and hearing Panther chants like I have heard before. Even though we are still up in the series 2-1.
Am I crazy or being very selfish in ALMOST wanting it to be 1-1 heading to Florida, where I feel the boys will be "more than ready" to take that 2-1 series lead, where I can leave feeling so very freakin' happy? IDK, I feel selfish but makes sense in my head. Help?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I've had some heated battles with many of you over the years. Still do, especially as a mod when things get out of control. Know it is never personal. I love these boards as they have been a significant part of my life for nearly 17 years.

Regardless of how you felt throughout the series, I just hope you are able to enjoy this moment for what it is. Life isn't always about the result, but the journey getting there. Sometimes the journey is the best part, even if you don't arrive at your destination.

What I'm trying to say is... cheers all. To an incredible night, to an incredible fanbase and yes, I know I called you all a bunch of whiners :laugh: , but I am glad we are able to celebrate here together. Some of us don't have others to celebrate these wins and moments with. We have this and it is special.

:cheers:
Thanks Gardner. That applies to me. Broke up with GF that used to be my Rangers confidant, family and friends in NY that I don't keep in contact with nearly enough, and basically here alone, ENJOYING all of this all alone. It sucks, but I DO have you guys and LOVE that I can come here and share our ups and downs of this journey.
I've said it all along, even when we went through that tough 2 month stretch. This team is special, we've been there and done that. Went deep and failed. Got the rug pulled out from under us, that they should be ashamed of themselves. OUR TIME IS NOW!
Next year, the leagues play by play announcers will be saying "their team" are facing the Stanley Cup Champs tonight.

• Love
Reactions: Gardner McKay

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Could be that the coaches think center is more taxing physically and mentally. So to ease Fil in, they put him at wing. It's quite possible that if we didn't have Wennberg, Fil would be at center.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Park a mile away or so and take an Uber.
If I only had a brain. Good advice, but too unpredictable for me. Too many things could go wrong. Like my car being stolen, or cant get an uber.....IDK. My Dad always said; "if you're gonna take a bath, might as well take a shower". In other words, if you're gonna do something, might as well go all the way!

Just park at Sawgrass and walk over
I'd get lost.

Reactions: Wtp99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad