GDT: ECF: Game 1 - New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers, 8pm ET, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Rangers need to focus on moving pucks quickly, support and keeping things moving in all zones, not watching like they did in Game 5 against Carolina.

I think playing and beating Carolina and their relentless style will help them going into this series. Florida has a heavier forecheck and is just as relentless. Conversely I think Florida playing Boston will help the Rangers chances early on in the series. Boston was no where near the level of the Rangers, in all facets except goaltending

Florida takes the body every chance they get and there are opportunities there to take hits to make plays. The Rangers are very good at zipping the puck around with tape to tape passes, but that can only happen with support in all zones since Florida will be finishing checks. They can’t be spread out.

Come out and into the zones as a group or 2 or 3 and keep the speed up to create odd man isolations. That could lead to some high danger chances off transitions and odd man rushes. If we see that early in the series that will be a great sign.

In all of the previews I see the same names being thrown around but one. Lafreniere is flying under the radar and could be the difference maker in this series. He quietly has a point per game in the playoffs and he can play a heavy but very skilled game. We saw him take over game 4 in Carolina despite the loss and it was all even strength

On the Panthers side guys like Lundell and Verhaege scare me. But so does Rodrigues who is one of those John Druce like Ranger killers. If the Rangers can get some games out of Chytil it will go a long way to match the Panthers scoring depth because he will likely bring Kakko back to his old 40 point self again. And the Rangers will need that production from their bottom six if they are going to move on.

I also think they’ll need more from Fox if they want to move on. 4 assists in 10 games is un-Fox like and they’ll need a big goal or two from him. He will be targeted and they’ll try to wear him down physically which is why they need that extra support.

Florida doesn’t take a lot of penalties and that could be an issue. The refs usually swallow the whistle this time of year anyway but the Rangers need to keep moving their feet and forcing PP chances. It’s an advantage in this series they’ll need to have the opportunity to exploit. EDIT: I was mis-informed - they lead the league in PIMs, although they've been more disciplined in the playoffs. Hopefully will see a parade of cats to the box.

It would be big, again, to start this series off 2-0. Need to take at least one at home, preferably tonight. This is going to be a long series and I could see it going to either team in 6 or 7 depending how the bounces go.

Let’s Go Rangers!

Last edited:

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
They had game three and very likely the series well in hand until the refs and #8 stepped in. Unfortunately #8 is still here.

I am not complaining, it’s just painful to think about just how unstoppable this team would be if its captain and second highest paid defender was a positive difference maker instead of a detriment.
Picking on Trouba. How about Fox? Or is he “injured”? He is “injured for three years now. And every playoffs. Old story.

Panarin and Zbads have been no shows for a few games now.

Perspective. Trouba is the Captain of a President Cup team. In NY. Maybe we should support him.

Ahh, cut FLA fans some slack. They're from Florida.
What a cesspool.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Game 1 ECF Rempe be like

1716379206067.gif

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Winning would be delightful.

Picking on Trouba. How about Fox? Or is he “injured”? He is “injured for three years now. And every playoffs. Old story.

Panarin and Zbads have been no shows for a few games now.

Perspective. Trouba is the Captain of a President Cup team. In NY. Maybe we should support him.

What a cesspool.
Nah.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
this series can go 7 games or one team can sweep. that’s the beauty and the craziness of the playoffs and sports in general. play well. play smart. score on your opportunities. it’s simple but it isn’t.

hoping for a good game tonight. not a fan of the dream I had last night about this game though…

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Before we get started, just want to note that this is the 5th conference final in 13 seasons. They've been one of the better organizations in the league for a while now. I know some believe second place is just first loser. I grew up watching the dark age teams, and so these past few years have personally been a blast.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Don’t wanna see them strike the first blow like they did to Marchand and the B’s. After they rattled the B’s they just let them get worked up and didn’t take too many penalties on dumb stuff. Hopefully the fear of giving the NYR a PP keeps them honest.

LGR!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
@ohbaby Yeah man, I miss the a-hole too! IDC what anybody's personality is. It is the LOVE of the game, the fans and his teammates in which a player will do ANYTHING to win. He personified that. Rempe is very much similar (only slightly larger) and could impact this series every bit as much as Avery did sometimes.
OMG, it's tonight! I'm a basket case already.

• Haha
Reactions: ohbaby

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The third line battle will be interesting. I really like Luostarinen but hopefully our Finn is better than theirs. Shesty needs to have a great series, I think we'll see the same shot difference like the Carolina series and he'll have to come up big. Don't get wrapped up in the extra crap after the whistles, play your game Rangers. Also, gotta realize this will probably be a long series, don't get too high or too low, stay focused. If they can do this, I think the Rangers will win in 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad