LeBrun: Early Trading: Utah and Montreal exploring NHL trade market

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I was happy when the Av's bailed on him early enough to recoup good value. He's a player that leaves you thinking he could get to that next level, but then never gets any better at all.
He paced for 55 points last year in his first year in Montreal. He’s got great speed, motor and forechecking. I’m not sure what else you can expect from a middle 6 forward.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I can assure you he is bad but really bad, outside of skating he brings absolutely nothing, I can't believe he is on our 2nd line. When we did that trade I was really pissed, he is the kind of guy that avoid being on waivers because he is a former 1st pick
That's probably accurate. He never was in our top six, nor did he deserve to be. Just in his younger years I thought maybe. But by the time he went to Montreal I figured he'd never improve

Reactions: Maitz

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I don't think that the BJs want to trade Provorov right now unless they think Mateychuk is ready and they probably want him to stay in Cleveland anyways, at least for right now. The alternative is having a young NHLer D as part of the trade (Kolyachonok?) and that would suck for Utah.

Provorov
Kolyachonok, Schmaltz

Last edited:

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
That's probably accurate. He never was in our top six, nor did he deserve to be. Just in his younger years I thought maybe. But by the time he went to Montreal I figured he'd never improve
I really think Hughes traded for him because he was his client before and it was a sentimental choice

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't think that the BJs want to trade Provorov right now unless they think Mateychuk is ready and they probably want him to stay in Cleveland anyways, at least for right now. The alternative is having a young NHLer D as part of the trade (Kolyachonok?) and that would suck for Utah.

Provorov
Kolyachonok, Schmaltz
Overpay by Utah. Schmaltz is good. Averaging .87 ppg over the last 3 years. Great compliment to Keller.

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Would Utah be interested in Brandon Carlo?

Or perhaps McAvoy in a wild hockey trade scenario

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Overpay by Utah. Schmaltz is good. Averaging .87 ppg over the last 3 years. Great compliment to Keller.
An overpayment would be needed to fix the defense at this time! Provorov would be a good fit and Schmaltz can be replaced in the line up.
Valimaki could be interchangeable with Kolyachonok.
Would Utah be interested in Brandon Carlo?

Or perhaps McAvoy in a wild hockey trade scenario
I wanted the Coyotes to draft Carlo and they had 2 chances and failed!
Boston be crazy to trade McAvoy.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Could we add a few 2nds to Maccelli to get Jiricek and then you just keep Provorov? ;)
I don't think Jiricek is as desirable as you think. From watching CBJ this year and watching him in the AHL I'm not sure he's ever going to actually put it together and become what he could be. He definitely has all the tools and the potential, but he doesn't play like it.

Either you have an absurdly low threshold for "A prospect" or you're insane. Even subtracting the "A prospect", that's a big price.
That's the price you pay for a #1D, which Andersson is, though. If I were Utah I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm a huge fan of Kesselring but he doesn't have that much value.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
LeBrun is no joke. I’m always inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. And I think Provorov makes sense because he’s UFA and can play either side. They can decide whether or not to re-sign him based on how he fits in and impacts team success this season.

My main issue is acquisition cost and leverage. Utah is more desperate to acquire a D than Columbus is to make a trade, I think. And while Proborov is a rental, he’s the kind of rental that often gets a 25th overall pick worth of value (or thereabouts) at the deadline. And I think they’d want more now.

Not sure what Utah would give up to make it happen. Doubt Columbus wants a pair of 2nds and Utah ain’t moving a 1st or top prospect. Maccelli won’t go for a rental either. Would Nick Schmaltz make sense? I think Columbus would have to add. Schmaltz has another year left. He also has a 10 team NTC. But he’s from the Midwest and played in the USHL, for the NTDP and for NoDak. So I feel like he wouldn’t be too against going to Columbus. Especially from Utah.
I wouldn't trade Provorov for Schmaltz period nevermind adding.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think Jiricek is as desirable as you think. From watching CBJ this year and watching him in the AHL I'm not sure he's ever going to actually put it together and become what he could be. He definitely has all the tools and the potential, but he doesn't play like it.

That's the price you pay for a #1D, which Andersson is, though. If I were Utah I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm a huge fan of Kesselring but he doesn't have that much value.
So you think say for example,

Guenther + 1st + Kesselring is fair value?

I'm referring to Guenther when he was first drafted, as I'd consider him then an "A prospect."

I think that's a big overpayment.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You make schmaltz sound like a garbage player. He would have led Columbus in scoring last season. Is Columbus trying to rebuild or get better?
You got a lot outta that post eh? Ever think maybe I don't want to take a veteran defenseman out of the lineup? Provorov has been playing great hockey and for under 5mil. At best the team would be fixing 1 hole and creating another, I'll keep the defenseman giving his team a solid 23 minutes a night.

You also act like different situations don't effect players stats. Schmaltz on Columbus last year with the garbage system and hockey they played doesn't reach 60 points.

Much smarter to wait for the forwards to get healthy (Voronkov could be back soon) and either look into resigning Provorov or trade him closer to the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad