Early Top 30 for 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Only 1 D in the top 10, and only 2 in the top 20? I'm not up to speed on the next draft class yet, so I'm not going to say that's wrong, but I will call it unlikely. It seems like every year a D sneaks his way up in the top 10, simply because he's the best D of the draft. I'd also expect more to be chosen in the 10-20 range, just because people will be looking at D.

What's the early impresion of this draft class? It looks to be heavy in forwards, especially near the top. How many of these guys have that oh-so-sweet superstar potential like Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby were touted as to having? How deep does it look, does the talent drop off in the first round, or does it extend into the second and third rounds?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Squeaky said:
Only 1 D in the top 10, and only 2 in the top 20? I'm not up to speed on the next draft class yet, so I'm not going to say that's wrong, but I will call it unlikely. It seems like every year a D sneaks his way up in the top 10, simply because he's the best D of the draft. I'd also expect more to be chosen in the 10-20 range, just because people will be looking at D.

What's the early impresion of this draft class? It looks to be heavy in forwards, especially near the top. How many of these guys have that oh-so-sweet superstar potential like Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby were touted as to having? How deep does it look, does the talent drop off in the first round, or does it extend into the second and third rounds?

I agree with you. I think scoutman ranked them on talent alone. But we all know teams dont always draft the most talented player. Its a thin year for defense so im sure some "lesser" dmen will get picked ahead of other more highly touted forwards.

For the most part there is a lot of good forwards and a good mix of them. Speedsters, power forwards, snipers, 2 way guys and there seems to be a lot of good goaltenders. Defense is a little thin,but like you said a team will make a reach on some of them if they want to take a dman that badly.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's an updated article highlighting Red Line's early favorites for the 2006 draft: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20050909_143542_6448

It's up from five Americans to six since his last report. I wonder if he's the only one that's so high on Forney. McKeens had some positive things to say about him but I don't know if they'd rank him top ten.

EDIT: I also thought I'd mention that Erik Johnson is now listed at 6'5" 227 lbs. Combine that with his skill and he certainly seems like the type of d-man pro scouts must be drooling over.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
It's up from five Americans to six since his last report. I wonder if he's the only one that's so high on Forney. McKeens had some positive things to say about him but I don't know if they'd rank him top ten.

I'm sure Forney's recent international success is a big reason for popping up on Red Line's list. He's got good size to go along with his high skill level, so you never know.... I do think there could be three Americans picked in the top five though: Kessel, Mueller, and Johnson (Erik). Things are looking good!

Last edited:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm sure Forney's recent international success is a big reason for popping up on Red Line's list. He's got good size to go along with his high skill level, so you never know.... I do think there could be three Americans picked in the top five though: Kessel, Mueller, and Johnson (Erik). Things are looking good!

he seems pretty high on dowzak too...............sanguinetti could easily be in that top 10 also.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:

EDIT: I also thought I'd mention that Erik Johnson is now listed at 6'5" 227 lbs. Combine that with his skill and he certainly seems like the type of d-man pro scouts must be drooling over.

CSB measured him out at 6'4", 222 lbs last week, according to their site.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm sure Forney's recent international success is a big reason for popping up on Red Line's list. He's got good size to go along with his high skill level, so you never know....

Red Line Report mentioned Forney as far back as last December in one of their USA Today columns so their high opinion on him is not due to anything recent.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Personally, although it's still very early of course I think the depth and quality is- at this point- a slight notch below last year's draft class.
Europe should be a little better than last year. A country by country breakdown would be:
Czech- a bit better
Russia- slightly better but still not as good as in previous years
Finland- a bit weaker
Sweden- about the same or a touch better
Slovakia- same

The U.S. looks very good of course wherever theirplayers are playing (CHL, NCAA, UNPDT). The weak sister for 2006 seems to be Canadians in the CHL, especially the WHL. James Shepherd, Brian Little and Jordan Staal are the only CHL Canadians I'd have top 15 right now. Toews is a top 5 guy but he's not in the CHL. I know the Canadians won the Pacific Cup handily again but there were not many real individual standout talents on the team (save Toews, Shepherd and 2007 pick Hammill).

Consensus is that goalies are a bit below 2005 standards too but goalies are always a very difficult projection.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Juan said:
CSB measured him out at 6'4", 222 lbs last week, according to their site.

Thanks for pointing that out. If they're correct, it looks like the NTDP has most of thier height listings exagerated by an inch or so.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
steblick said:
Personally, although it's still very early of course I think the depth and quality is- at this point- a slight notch below last year's draft class.
Europe should be a little better than last year. A country by country breakdown would be:
Czech- a bit better
Finland- a bit weaker
Slovakia- same

The U.S. looks very good of course wherever theirplayers are playing (CHL, NCAA, UNPDT). The weak sister for 2006 seems to be Canadians in the CHL, especially the WHL. James Shepherd, Brian Little and Jordan Staal are the only CHL Canadians I'd have top 15 right now. Toews is a top 5 guy but he's not in the CHL. I know the Canadians won the Pacific Cup handily again but there were not many real individual standout talents on the team (save Toews, Shepherd and 2007 pick Hammill).

Consensus is that goalies are a bit below 2005 standards too but goalies are always a very difficult projection.

Maxwell of the WHL is a shoe-in for the top 15.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Maxwell of the WHL is a shoe-in for the top 15.

Shoo-in is too strong a word to be using in October for anyone not named Kessell or Frolik. I know that Maxwell is highly regarded in some quarters but most services have Maxwell around or below #15 right now. And he hasn't sold me on his play yet.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
One thing that will be interesting to see is who of the 2006 eligibles will get to play in the WJC. With few NHL players there should be more open roster spots but I'd guess right now only Kessel, Frolik, Mueller, Joensuu, are guaranteed to be there, although I'm sure several of the USA players will end up on the team. Given the depth of Canadian players draft last year I'd be surprised if anyone in the 2006 group gets invited.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
One thing that will be interesting to see is who of the 2006 eligibles will get to play in the WJC. With few NHL players there should be more open roster spots but I'd guess right now only Kessel, Frolik, Mueller, Joensuu, are guaranteed to be there, although I'm sure several of the USA players will end up on the team. Given the depth of Canadian players draft last year I'd be surprised if anyone in the 2006 group gets invited.

IMO Kessel and Mueller are the only 2006 eligible players that are shoo-ins for the U.S. squad.

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
Size and wheels

Rabid Ranger said:
IMO Kessel and Mueller are the only 2006 eligible players that are shoo-ins for the U.S. squad.

Bobby Sanguinetti of Owen Sound (6'4" 200) and Nick Goyens of Rimouski (6'3" 190) will be followed closely this season by scouts because of the new rules in the NHL and major junior: they're both big D with serious wheels, good breakout passes and great point shots.

And as an aside to those of you who are questioning the draftability of D under 6' ponder this; the new rules will open up the game, putting skating, vision and passing at a premium, so the 5'10"s of life (Grant, Bodnarchuk and a bunch of others) will get a serious look. After all, what's the point of stretching the ice if the D can't get the puck up to the forwards?

Scouting and drafting will be something else in the coming 2-3 years. :)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
GoSSCHgo said:
Bobby Sanguinetti of Owen Sound (6'4" 200) and Nick Goyens of Rimouski (6'3" 190) will be followed closely this season by scouts because of the new rules in the NHL and major junior: they're both big D with serious wheels, good breakout passes and great point shots.

And as an aside to those of you who are questioning the draftability of D under 6' ponder this; the new rules will open up the game, putting skating, vision and passing at a premium, so the 5'10"s of life (Grant, Bodnarchuk and a bunch of others) will get a serious look. After all, what's the point of stretching the ice if the D can't get the puck up to the forwards?

Scouting and drafting will be something else in the coming 2-3 years. :)

I agree with your post, but Grant is 6'02 ;)

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I remeber after his rookie season in Owen Sound I touted Bobby Ryan as a first rounder...he slowly made his way up the charts during his 2nd year in Owen Sound, first into the top 30 then top 10 and finishing at #2.
I think Owen Sound may have a dark horse this year in Matt Kang. He played limited games last year on a strong Owen Sound squad...(he couldn't play more than he did because of the age rule I think). He played well, and will get plenty of opportunity this season after the departure of so many scoring forwards...he may even be teamed with Ryan on what could be Owen Sounds only scoring line...
Just a name to watch for...Matt Kang.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
steblick said:
Czech- a bit better
Finland- a bit weaker
Slovakia- same

Germany- better
Switzerland- better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad