Speculation: Early Buyer/Seller predictions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The defense needs work but overall think it will be an improvement.
Edvinsson > Walman
Talbot > Reimer
Then guys like Sprong and Ghost gone, who contributed only on one side of the ice . More addition by subtraction.

I wouldn't be shocked if Detroit was a buyer. Something like the Debrincat trade but on the back end.
I think Edvinsson has a ton of potential - but are you saying that with 16 games of NHL experience he's going to be significantly better than Walman is right now?

I wouldn't be shocked by DET either way. It's definitely possible they're in play-off contention, but It wouldn't surprise me if some combination of defense/goaltending lets them down and they really struggle as well. I like the Taraskenko addition - but IMO the Wings are similar to the other Atlantic hopefuls in that there are significant questions.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
With the Duck's offseason complete they are officially selling before the season starts.

- Zegras
- Fowler
- Gibson
- Vatrano

Verbeek is offering max retention and will take on bad contracts for disappointing returns.

• Wow
Reactions: Perry Tegula

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think Edvinsson has a ton of potential - but are you saying that with 16 games of NHL experience he's going to be significantly better than Walman is right now?

I wouldn't be shocked by DET either way. It's definitely possible they're in play-off contention, but It wouldn't surprise me if some combination of defense/goaltending lets them down and they really struggle as well. I like the Taraskenko addition - but IMO the Wings are similar to the other Atlantic hopefuls in that there are significant questions.

Yes. Walman wasn't some reliable seasoned veteran. He has basically 2 seasons and had glaring issues that became more apparent as the team got into more meaningful games. Edvinsson has 2 short stints but it's a safe bet with rookie mistakes included he will be a net positive over Walman at minimum. I could be very wrong about that but size, skating ability, transition game, defensive play I think all are an improvement for Ed over Walman in the very near future.

Detroit is in the mushy middle like you said... could regress with injuries, goaltending or defensive issues if they continue. I won't argue that. They definitely have the potential and have been trending in the right direction so as a fan I'm hoping for year 6 of improvement. With the Atlanic and Eastern conference.. that may not be enough to be in top 8.

I think this seasons expectations are playoffs in Detroit but I'm likely in the minority that I won't be devastated if they miss as long as the younger players continue to develop. I still think everything is moving in the right direction, coaching would be the wild card in all that as Lalonde hasn't shown me much for better or worse, yet.

Reactions: eojsmada

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers will be buyers likely looking at defense and even a goalie by mid point of the season.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Jets were the best defensive team in the league last year and comfortably made the playoffs. This is just as bold as calling Colorado sellers.

14th, 19th and 14th in points over the preceding 3 seasons respectively. Consistent core by NHL standards in that time.

There was a big change behind the bench in recent years, but that’s in the rear view as well. New full-time HC this year.

Colorado is a proven elite team year in, year out.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Because half of the projected Habs top 6 defenseman are still in NHL diapers, forget them as buyers or sellers for oir vets until TD.

Up front it could be Dvorak/Evans if Beck sets the ice on fire. The rest of the forward vets are on barely worth their value or negative contracts.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Oilers will be buyers likely looking at defense and even a goalie by mid point of the season.
for non oiler fans:

The Oilers will be searching for a top 4 Right defenseman and were willing to trade Ceci and let Broberg and Holloway walk to create cap space for this move. They will be accruing cap space for the entire time that Evander Kane is out to get the cap space to acquire a serious player in the mold of the Ekholm deal. All of these clues have been discussed for a while now on the oilers board. The length of time it takes to make this deal will likely be dictated by the play of the team. If we suck out of the gate this season then the November move will be this defense deal. If not they will try to stretch to the deadline to get as much cap space as possible to spend for the push.

I do disagree with the goaltender need currently. I would rather get two RD than spend on goaltending we just cant afford currently.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Montreal might be a bit of both.

For selling
Joel Armia
David Savard - possible, but the list of RHD UFAs suck, so they might look to extend him to buy more time for Reinbacher, Mailloux to get more experience.
Evans- likely gone as he won't want to get paid like a 4th liner and might be another Danault to a degree for another team.

For buying sometimes players with term are available and while the Habs aren't likely to make the playoffs, let alone be a contender, they might look at that to buy now and set up the team for next season.
To me that alone is a reason to trade him. Supply and demand and I wouldn't be surprised at all for them to talk in the summer

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Yes. Walman wasn't some reliable seasoned veteran. He has basically 2 seasons and had glaring issues that became more apparent as the team got into more meaningful games. Edvinsson has 2 short stints but it's a safe bet with rookie mistakes included he will be a net positive over Walman at minimum. I could be very wrong about that but size, skating ability, transition game, defensive play I think all are an improvement for Ed over Walman in the very near future.

Detroit is in the mushy middle like you said... could regress with injuries, goaltending or defensive issues if they continue. I won't argue that. They definitely have the potential and have been trending in the right direction so as a fan I'm hoping for year 6 of improvement. With the Atlanic and Eastern conference.. that may not be enough to be in top 8.

I think this seasons expectations are playoffs in Detroit but I'm likely in the minority that I won't be devastated if they miss as long as the younger players continue to develop. I still think everything is moving in the right direction, coaching would be the wild card in all that as Lalonde hasn't shown me much for better or worse, yet.
Walman must really have taken an enormous step back last year, because my previous impression from Wings fans was that he was a legit top 4 kind of guy. I didn't see enough Wings games last year to have an opinion, but it must have been train wreck-ish if essentially a rookie d-men (no matter how highly thought of) is seen at least a wash.

I think that your approach is the smart one. It would be nice for the Wings to make the play-off's, but that's no where close to being as important as the young guys continuing to improve. The performance of the current team where 2/3+ of the roster is made up of non-core guys is secondary to having the next wave start to contribute. With that said - it would be a bonus to make the P/O's and give those young guys a taste of higher pressure games so they're not shocked when that does happen.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Walman must really have taken an enormous step back last year, because my previous impression from Wings fans was that he was a legit top 4 kind of guy. I didn't see enough Wings games last year to have an opinion, but it must have been train wreck-ish if essentially a rookie d-men (no matter how highly thought of) is seen at least a wash.

I think that your approach is the smart one. It would be nice for the Wings to make the play-off's, but that's no where close to being as important as the young guys continuing to improve. The performance of the current team where 2/3+ of the roster is made up of non-core guys is secondary to having the next wave start to contribute. With that said - it would be a bonus to make the P/O's and give those young guys a taste of higher pressure games so they're not shocked when that does happen.

Walman had his moments but he often sulked around in the defensive zone. Had some highlights and nice goals but there was too many ugly moments. He was a top 4 for us at the time, but the options were between him, Petry, Chiarot, Holl, Mattaa, Ghost. He could very well go on to score 30-40 points in San Jose but I really don't think he will be missed. Was a nice pick up for Yzerman overall, just don't think they saw him as an answer if we want to improve.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Obviously It's early, It's only September but I'm curious who do you think will be the buyers and sellers this season?

I'm not necessarily talking about teams we know will be sellers like the Ducks, Sharks, Hawks, Wings or Sabres because those teams are obvious.

I'm talking about the surprise buyer and seller.

For example nobody is expecting it but with Nuke and Langdeskog both out of the lineup, I think there is a world where Colorado could be a seller if only for this year.

I also think the Blues could be a seller.

I see Ottawa as a potential surprise buyer depending on how Ullmark does.

it Would be interesting to look back on this thread in 6 months and see who is right.
One of those obvious sellers will be buyers.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

He was a healthy scratch the last 8-10 games of the season when the Wings desperately needed wins. He fell out of favor for his defensive play. The trade still looks a little puzzling but the way it played out, getting rid of him made some sense. Edvinsson probably won’t light the world of n fire right away but he’s solid and dependable with tons of potential.

The Wings missed the playoffs by less than a point, and even if their off season moves were lateral they definitely won’t be obvious sellers, as much as OP wants them to be.

BlueGoose27

Sep 6, 2024
I’m curious to see how Vancouver plays this season. As great of a season they had last year, not many expected it. In fact before last season there were lots of talks about trading JT Miller…Pens, Canes, Rangers…I know were w few. Now look at him. Had a career season and now everyone loves him. Anyway, I’m gonna say buyers…but if their goalie situation struggles to stay healthy, they may be in for a bumpy ride. If that does happen, do we hear JT Miller’s name pop up again? Possibly Hronek, Garland…Bluger. Will be interesting.

Oh and I’m going Senators as sellers. Not buying into them this season. I don’t think they improved at all except for the goalie position. Sellers…and Brady gets traded along with Norris and Zub…oh and the goalie they thought was going to get them into the playoffs, Ullmark lol.

Reactions: byrath

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Because half of the projected Habs top 6 defenseman are still in NHL diapers, forget them as buyers or sellers for oir vets until TD.

Up front it could be Dvorak/Evans if Beck sets the ice on fire. The rest of the forward vets are on barely worth their value or negative contracts.

You just know when GMs are sitting on Santa’s lap at Christmas, they’re going to be asking for a Christian Dvorak. 😬 😉

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Buffalo and Utah will be buyers. I think Buffalo and Ottawa are under the most pressure this year to show improvement. Utah needs to improve too but obviously the move to a new market may give fans more patience. Calgary will be sellers obviously. I think they have had internal discussions to try and be in the top 10 to keep their own pick. Provided Florida doesn’t fall out of the sky.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With the Duck's offseason complete they are officially selling before the season starts.

- Zegras
- Fowler
- Gibson
- Vatrano

Verbeek is offering max retention and will take on bad contracts for disappointing returns.

I've never understood trading Zegras I think that would be a HUGE mistake.

That said I would be all in on Vatrano and Fowler

iago

Apr 2, 2024
I think the red wings will be. Their roster is spinning it's wheels and is missing 2 core pieces with training camp days away.

Also their goalies... 45 year old Talbot, Jack Campbell, Alex Lyon, and the corpse of Husso
If trading Husso, or Holl, or Maatta, or Chiarot makes Detroit sellers, so be it. As for the goal tending, anyone who would be an upgrade will not be available, and anyone who is available isn't an upgrade. They also have 2 of the top 10 goalie prospects, so I doubt they will give up anything of value to get a top goalie.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Even if the habs are somehow in a WC playoff mix in March, I suspect they'll move some guys. It depends how guys like Beck, Hutson and Mailloux play, but they'll move on from Armia and Dvorak - both UFA's-to-be and maybe Savard and Evans. Though I think they may resign Evans.
They also might move another young Dman like Barron or Struble.
They also have 8 picks in the 1st three rounds next summer so not sure about having more picks. I guess he can defer them to 26-27

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Even if the habs are somehow in a WC playoff mix in March, I suspect they'll move some guys. It depends how guys like Beck, Hutson and Mailloux play, but they'll move on from Armia and Dvorak - both UFA's-to-be and maybe Savard and Evans. Though I think they may resign Evans.
They also might move another young Dman like Barron or Struble.
They also have 8 picks in the 1st three rounds next summer so not sure about having more picks. I guess he can defer them to 26-27

Can see the Avs being interested in Armia.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad