Dysfunction in Calgary?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'll preface this by admitting that this is based on a conversation between Rhett Warrener and Ryan Pinder this morning on The Fan 960. I don't have the recording of it, and I'd have no idea how to like it even if I did!!

The basis of the conversation was that there is a "divide" in the room. Now, anyone that has followed the Flames over the last, well, forever, knows that there always have been rumors of a divide in the locker room. Hell, even Rhett mentioned a rift between him and Iggy back in the day. It was over how they were going to play as a team. Iggy wanted to play run and gun and let Kipper bail them out. While Rhett wanted the team to play a more defensive style.

Anyway, the rumored rift is again about playing style, but with a twist. Apparently, Tkachuk, and his following, want to play a hard-nosed brand of hockey. 100% effort every shift, no nights, or shifts, off. The problem is that apparently, a member of the senior core isn't into that type of play. Likes the perimeter, high-skill game and has told Chucky to cool his jets on the ice because he's making certain look bad. If this is the case, then this team is going nowhere fast, not that they were going anywhere anyway.

The Flame's biggest issue has always been putting in a consistent effort and goaltending. Well, this year they are getting excellent goaltending, without Markstrom they would be dead last. The problem is playing with maximum effort game in and game out.

It would be easy to assume it is Johnny making the demands, but they didn't think that was the case. They threw out Backlund as a name, but I find that hard to believe as well. Rhett's solution was to basically give the player away that is causing the friction, lose the trade, make it known that if you don't want to play here, the way the game is meant to be played, you're gone.

But, is this a credible approach? Does anyone really care if they are traded away? Isn't this actually helping out the player? Do you flush the core? It was rumored that Tree tried doing that this summer but had no takers. The current core has had years to make it work, they haven't done so. No, their one great season doesn't change this, as they still crashed and burned in the first round, which is the norm for them.

So, what do they do? I support trading away Johnny, Mony, and Gio. It's not like that group has done anything anyway, and they aren't getting better. Monahan is not a #1 center, Johnny gets beat to shit in the playoffs, and Gio has taken a pretty big step back the last two years. Build around the young D and Chucky.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think they need a major shake up to their core. Clearly their history in big games isn't there, and if there's now smoke about a divide in the locker room, better to snuff it out completely now in this short season and get your ducks in a row for when you start playing the rest of the league next year (hopefully).

Show Markstrom that the team is committed to playing hard in front of him every night and that he isn't going to be burnt out by year two or three and entering another rebuild.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I could see Gaudreau and Giordano being problems as they want to win but are top end guys on a lower end team

Just a total guess that is

if I were Calgary id move Giordano, Gaudreau, and Monahan for a ton of assets and rebuild for a few years

their team isnt so bad itd take a long time.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The divide in the room has been going on for more than a year. I'm shocked it wasn't resolved this past offseason.

Edit: Rift has nothing to do with playing style either.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
Its not dysfunction. The players are not good enough. Look at that core, they tend to disappear when the going gets tough. Monahan isnt a 1c, JG is a nice complimentary player but shouldnt be relied on to drive the offence night after night from the wing, Tkachuk is too slow and other teams know his antics now.

I think adding Tanev/Markstrom may be good for the short term but in the long term the elite goaltending will give management false hopes and prevent the team from getting a higher draft pick. Markstrom will cover a lot of warts.

To add to the pain, and the prolonged mediocrity, there are no top end prospects in the prospect pool.

Its not the coach. How many coaches have been through there...the only common denominator is the same group of core players.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Kelly Hrudy mentioned that it’s one of the quieter locker room he’s ever been around. Then you hear about how Treliving was in on signing Jay “character guy” Beagle before the Canucks outbid the Flames and then this past summer they target two guys known for being great teammates in Markstrom and Tanev.

Seems like management is really hoping it sorts itself out, hopefully by adding more well liked personalities into the locker room.

Tkachuk defended Gaudreau from criticism after the playoffs last year, no? I don’t feel like it’s between them.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
If the Flames keep trying to get by with the current core, they'll peak as a second-round team.

Giordano is the face of the franchise, so I would keep him unless he specifically wants out. Trade Gaudreau and Monahan.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Apparently, Tkachuk, and his following, want to play a hard-nosed brand of hockey. 100% effort every shift, no nights, or shifts, off. The problem is that apparently, a member of the senior core isn't into that type of play. Likes the perimeter, high-skill game and has told Chucky to cool his jets on the ice because he's making certain look bad.

I wouldn't be shocked in it being either Monahan or Backlund. Listening to Gaudreau's interview on Spittin Chiclets about the situation, it didn't sound like he was overly vocal about it, and I wouldn't think Giordano would be opposed to that sort of style.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't really believe that the divide is one side wants to give 100% every night and the other side doesn't. If that's the issue then you obviously trade away the player that doesn't want to play hard every night lol.
This.

It’s likely one side wanting to play more skill-based and focus on structure while being disciplined. I can see a guy like Sam Bennett taking stupid penalties driving “this side” nuts.

The other side likely wants everyone to be more physical, back up teammates in scrums or after big hits, etc. Pack mentality, they probably get pissed when guys stand around during a scrum or skate away from an opponent after a big hit in a teammate.

Or it’s just a clash of personalities and very little to do with play style which is my guess.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's just the North division in its current state. All teams are bubble teams, even though TOR and MTL are just a little bit more bubbly, but will bounce the moment they face real opposition in the playoffs.

Except for Ottawa, their bubble was sold on ebay by their owner a long time ago.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if Tkatchuk forces a brawl, and some other guys don’t care for that pot stirring?
Brendan Morrison is talking about it right now on 650 radio. He’s saying can’t expect all players to have the spirit to fight every night like MT. Interesting stuff.

Playing that way can also cost you games unless you're goading the other team into taking penalties. Tkachuk seems to be really good at this, but if you're just jumping into scrums and trying to agitate constantly you're going to end up taking too many penalties. Seems like you should Tkachuk do Tkachuk things and keep the structure for the rest of the team that doesn't play that way naturally.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I wonder if Tkatchuk forces a brawl, and some other guys don’t care for that pot stirring?
Brendan Morrison is talking about it right now on 650 radio. He’s saying can’t expect all players to have the spirit to fight every night like MT. Interesting stuff.
Could be this. Also some teams target the skill guys on the Flames with hits in retaliation to Tkachuk going after their top guys.

I know some teammates hated playing with Matt Cooke. He’d stir the pot with borderline or dirty hits, rarely fight and teams would take runs at his more skilled teammates in retaliation.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Could be this. Also some teams target the skill guys on the Flames with hits in retaliation to Tkachuk going after their top guys.

This sounds more like random HF fans ranting after Tkachuk does something. I havent noticed other teams targeting let's say Gaudreau to retaliate a hit by Tkachuk, so can you give me an example?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I could see a veteran telling Matthew Tkachuk to cool it on some of the dirty stuff that he does.

I don't think that means one is 100% effort hockey and the other is perimeter.

Probably that just one is a dirt bag and the other isn't.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Anyway, the rumored rift is again about playing style, but with a twist. Apparently, Tkachuk, and his following, want to play a hard-nosed brand of hockey. 100% effort every shift, no nights, or shifts, off. The problem is that apparently, a member of the senior core isn't into that type of play. Likes the perimeter, high-skill game and has told Chucky to cool his jets on the ice because he's making certain look bad. If this is the case, then this team is going nowhere fast, not that they were going anywhere anyway.
I disagree with this. They have all the pieces they need to go on a deep playoff run.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad