Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It might be a bit much to expect from a GM or a UFA new to his team to sign with this much uncertainty going into next season. Ryan Reaves is the most significant signing with any team in close to 2 months
I agree but seeing how much he helped our defense i would be working on it big time. Our defense absolutely can use his game. :nod:

Reactions: 1stDan and BatVader

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Even with such a small sample size you can tell he fits with the team. I hope Melo and JoMo make a statement this playoffs as a top pair. Would erase any bad taste left from losing our whole right side coming into the season.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Definitely would be good to bring DeMelo back, although hopefully he isn't too expensive
I'm tired of losing RHD :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
$2M to $3M tops. 3 or 4 years. He's a good player and the type that's typically undervalued since he doesn't put up many points.

I'm a bit concerned that there haven't been any discussions yet. I think the Jets are quite worried about their financial situation. $2M to $3M might be too rich for their blood...

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
$2M to $3M tops. 3 or 4 years. He's a good player and the type that's typically undervalued since he doesn't put up many points.

I'm a bit concerned that there haven't been any discussions yet. I think the Jets are quite worried about their financial situation. $2M to $3M might be too rich for their blood...

I think you're likely correct on the Jets' caution regarding finances. I do think DD at 2-3m x 4 makes a whole lot more sense than spending a similar amount on 2-3 fringe NHLers like Bittetto, Sbisa, etc. And if he can continue to help elevate JMo's game for the next 4 years at a fixed, reasonable cost you make it happen, IMO, even if it means shedding some vet glue or additional depth.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think you're likely correct on the Jets' caution regarding finances. I do think DD at 2-3m x 4 makes a whole lot more sense than spending a similar amount on 2-3 fringe NHLers like Bittetto, Sbisa, etc. And if he can continue to help elevate JMo's game for the next 4 years at a fixed, reasonable cost you make it happen, IMO, even if it means shedding some vet glue or additional depth.
3 mil is low balling considering how much they were willing to pay Kuli and he’ll be playing on our 1st pairing with Mo. kulikov only ever played second and 3rd pairing and we paid him 4-5 mil.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
3 mil is low balling considering how much they were willing to pay Kuli and he’ll be playing on our 1st pairing with Mo. kulikov only ever played second and 3rd pairing and we paid him 4-5 mil.

Maybe. But I feel like that Kuli deal has been widely panned as an overpay in recent years, while 900k to 3 million is a pretty nice raise for a D-first player who lacks gaudy point totals. And then I was really going with GmOney’s min/max salary numbers. Dude’s got “mOney” right there in his handle, so I plumb trust the guy with that stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRC

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
if they offer him 3 million he will wait until free agency and then we will lose him.

Reactions: hn777

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
I would hate to lose a proven player. Then again the Defensive pipeline is promising.
There won't be much money available in FA this season. He may just find himself getting squeezed if he is set on testing the market.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
DeMelo will be 28 in the first year of his next, and possibly last, contract. His estimated total career earnings are only $3.9M gross, so he is not yet a wealthy man.

Imagine being able to triple that number over the next 4 years (@ $3M AAV) and being financially secure at the age of 31.

He is not a gifted player, but he is very smart, smart enough to know a bird in the hand...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What aav would he need over 5 years then?
19m over 5 years.
3.8m AAV.
Is he going to be that bad in 4 or 5 years that he wouldn't be worth 3.8m?
I would be willing to bet that a team like the Avs or maybe even Chicago would give him more than 3m in free agency. The Habs is another team (that has seen him play a lot) that would probably pay him more than 3m.
Ottawa fans said he consistently made his partner better.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Evolving Hockey's projections suggest the salary goes up beyond 3 years, to around $3.9M on a 5-yr contract.

My guess is that the Jets want a 3-4 yr deal in the $3-3.3M range, while Demelo wants 5+ years at around $4M.

Reactions: surixon and hn777

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
19m over 5 years.
3.8m AAV.
Is he going to be that bad in 4 or 5 years that he wouldn't be worth 3.8m?
I would be willing to bet that a team like the Avs or maybe even Chicago would give him more than 3m in free agency. The Habs is another team (that has seen him play a lot) that would probably pay him more than 3m.
Ottawa fans said he consistently made his partner better.
I dont think that is too much for him.

At that value he is tradeable if some of our Blueline prospects pan out.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad