Value of: Duncan Keith at the draft

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
With Kane and Toews locked up, I don't know why they'd trade Keith. Chicago will be back fighting for a cup again next year. And you'll probably be able to but out Seabrook in a couple years.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Can we get some actual facts in this thread? I thought his recapture penalty was a 4m cap hit for 1 year to the Hawks should he retire before hitting 38 or 39.

And 5.5m is not even close to the worst contract in the league, especially with the cap going up next year.

I think that guy was thinking of Seabrook lol

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
The length on Keith's deal is concerning, but the cap hit isn't bad at all. Even if he continues to decline, the reality of today's NHL is 5.5M for a legit 2nd pairing guy is only a very slight overpay. Even 5.5M for a guy that could automatically give you the best 3rd pairing isn't an awful situation.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
People are severely underrating Keith in this thread. He’s been one of the league’s best defensemen over the past decade, and one down year doesn’t change that. Sure, he’s turning 35 and probably isn’t the same player he was 5 years ago, but he’s still a top pairing defenseman in my books. Also, in terms of him declining early, he’s the typical player who remains effective into their late 30s: his game relies on his smarts, so unless he’s diagnosed with early onset dementia, he won’t be losing that hockey IQ anytime soon.

Take a look at his track record: 3 time Stanley Cup champion, 2 time Olympic Gold medalist, 2 time Norris winner, Conn Smythe winner.

For a team looking to contend for the next several years, Keith would be a fantastic addition given his cap hit of $5.5 million, which is not outrageous, and the fact that the cap recapture penalty falls solely on Chicago and not the team acquiring him.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
That contract isn't great and he's had a bad season and he's 35, but the name value itself might get a late 1st and a mid level prospect.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If one bad year makes a player have negative value then Keith does as well. He is a minus 28 2 goal scored this year.
Keith is still a top 10, maybe top 15 defenseman now even with this bad year. Lucic has negative value, and the offer was terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad