Dumba high hit on Backlund

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
hit looks ok to me. The circumstances are borderline for me. With less than 20 seconds or with a 3+ goals lead, I would have called it unnecessary. These kind of hits will probably be gone in 5 years.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Case in point.

Do you believe Backlund, or any other player, is eligible to be hit in the head simply because it’s down? Is it ever ok to hit someone in the head? In the NFL, for instance, making contact to the head as the primary point of contact is a penalty. Period. Is the NHL a different animal? Head shots not as big of a priority that the impetus is placed on the person getting hit and not the person delivering it?

Sounds like bull**** to me.

Hockey is different than the nfl. Nfl they mostly tackle which is a different style than the classic leading with the shoulder. The fact is they can ban head shots all they want and they won’t stop the ones like this. It was a square on hit. Game happens to fast for a player to see if another player maybe leaning to far forward or not. I’ll just skate around hunched over all game hoping to not get hit. Now that’s hyperbolic but I don’t think hits like that should be illegal. Like you realize the last what 30 milliseconds backlands hunched forward to far. Wtf is dumba supposed to do. I swear most people have no idea what it’s like to hit and be hit in game speed situations. Borderline hits like this will never be out of the game as long as u keep contact in, no matter what rules you put in place. In my opinion backland had all the space to realize a hit was coming this wasn’t blindside etc, just a hit that some fans like to whine about. I’m sorry but hits like this are defintely apart of the game

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
I think a penalty for charging would have sufficed. However making a big hit with 45 seconds left in a lost game is always a coward move.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
My only objection to the hit was that he was trying to hurt him......and he did. It's pretty grey as to whether it was illegal or not, but make no mistake that he was trying to inflict damage. There were a lot of strides taken prior to the hit.

Down by two, about a minute to go in the game, you have the extra man on the ice, and instead of trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone you choose to take the head off of an unsuspecting player.

Backlund knowing they had the extra man on the ice and that nothing is over until it's over was doing everything he could to make sure he got the puck out of the zone.

Looking at the whole picture......Dumba took out his frustrations of losing the game on Backlund. Then, when challenged for his actions, turtled against a guy three inches shorter than him. Sometimes you need to answer the bell for your actions. If not this game, he'll be asked to do it next game. Kinda the way the NHL has been for decades.

As a Wild fan, I have the complete opposite take of the sequence.

I didn't like how high the hit was personally, and wouldn't make a fuss at all if he sat a game or two for it.

But I don't have any problem with the motivations and sequance that led to the the hit and he wasn't trying hurt him, Backlund was in the middle of the O zone with a relatively clear lane to the open net. Dumba (and Brodin's) only job at that point is to separate Backstrom from the puck before he takes that clear shot, because most NHLers can make it.

Coming back from 2-0 with a minute left is a rare, but not impossible for the sake of round numbers let's say it's 1 in 100 chance. But if Backlund gets the open net it decreases to basically zero percent chance. You say Backlund knows nothing is over until it's over, the same applies to Dumba. He knows that if Backlund get's that net, it's game over. He had to separate Backlund from the puck.

As for the turtle, it was 100% the right play by Dumba. It was clear at that point they weren't calling the hit. With 50 seconds left, why on earth would he give the Refs any excuse to even things up? Turtle, take the lumps and start the 6 on 4.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No elbow. At least one foot is on the ice, probably both. Angle is straight on. Hit looks high because Backlund is leaning forward. Was it "unnecessary"? Maybe. There was probably a touch of frustration in the hit. But I've been told that games are 60 minutes, not 59.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
So, I want to get something straight. It would seem the majority of you feel that making the head the principle point of contact is ok simply because the player’s head was down? There’s simply no other assessment I can arrive at based on many of the comments here. Getting hit in the head is the choice of the player om the receiving end of the hit...and the hitter is just dutifully fulfilling his job by hitting a guy in the head because it’s down.

This is like saying it’s not my fault I stole **** from your car because you left it unlocked. Fair game.
I think as long as you keep your shoulder tucked in and the player isn't in too much of a vulnerable position even if you hit the head it should be fine. Or else players are just gonna lean their head foward all the time making them untouchable because any hit is going to contact the head resulting in a penalty.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dirty just because the game circumstance, and he does leave his feet before the hit.
Really this shouldn't have happened. This game should have been over with either:
A) Backlund being tripped with an open net.
B) Monahan just scoring instead of passing off the Noah.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Looks really borderline to me. It doesnt look like a full body hit, he mostly made upper torso/head contact because of the angle they made contact. I'm not gong to say he only clipped the head but it definitely doesnt look like a full body check. With that being said, I think him getting airborn is also worse. A lot of big hits have the guy in the air after contact but in this case I dont know that he made enough full body impact for that to be the cause, looks more like he launched a bit. There seem to be injury on the play as well.

I havent really slowed it down and broke it down frame by frame but on watching the video a couple times I would guess suspension

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
No elbow. At least one foot is on the ice, probably both. Angle is straight on. Hit looks high because Backlund is leaning forward. Was it "unnecessary"? Maybe. There was probably a touch of frustration in the hit. But I've been told that games are 60 minutes, not 59.

It would have been an empty net goal if he gets past Dumba. Late in the game, but probably stopped a goal.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Isn’t skating as hard as possible for 50 feet and launching into an opponent the textbook definition of Charging? Is that not in the rule book anymore?

This was my initial thought when I first saw the hit, charging. I don't think the hit is that bad but Dumba's skates are already starting to leave the ice at the time of the hit. Yes throwing a hit like that will make a players skates come up, but I think it's obvious Dumba launched into it. Again though, I don't think the hit is that bad but probably should've been a two minute minor.

As for the Gio trip, yep that's dirty.

Reactions: egelband

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The timing of the hit (2-0 with less than a minute left) is bad.

However, the hit is as clean an open ice hit can be.

The retaliation is stupid, and Bill Peters should get a fine/suspension for allowing that to happen... The guy went on the ice clearly with that in mind.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The timing of the hit (2-0 with less than a minute left) is bad.

However, the hit is as clean an open ice hit can be.

I'm shocked how many people want their players to concede an open net shot and quit playing with a minute left.

2 goals have been scored in under a minute many times in NHL history. It's rare, but the game isn't over until it's over.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I thought the Dumba hit was equal responsibility there. What Backlund did was kinda dumb and put himself in a vulnerable position, and Dumba could have done a little more to lessen the blow. All in all dumb and Dumba situation (hue hue hue).

I don't see the Dumba hit as being crazy egregious like some do. Some posters are acting like Dumba is going all Alice and Wonderland Queen of Hearts and going, "Off with his head!" or something.

Lomberg is going to get some discipline. No argument from me and many Flames fans. I get why he did it though and I'm fine with his actions. Whether a hit is clean, borderline, dirty etc. you don't want to see your guy go down with injury. Plus Lomberg's scrappy nature is what will keep him in the NHL and he's trying to find a way to stick in the bigs.

Dan403

Apr 2, 2014
So Tkachuk doesn't fight Kassian, Oiler's fans lose their s#!t. Name calling, salt, weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth.

Dumba doesn't fight, Not a peep out of the Whiners on Whyte.

(I'm fine with neither fighting in these circumstances. But I LOVE the hypocrisy)

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
So Tkachuk doesn't fight Kassian, Oiler's fans lose their s#!t. Name calling, salt, weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth.

Dumba doesn't fight, Not a peep out of the Whiners on Whyte.

(I'm fine with neither fighting in these circumstances. But I LOVE the hypocrisy)

Probably because RatBoy is the most likely to find a lion in the jungle sometime in the future.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Calgary actually had a problem with the hit, Tkachuk should've taken care of things as he was on the ice and Dumba certainly is no Kassian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad