Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Stian Solberg to ELC (3 years)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
They have started young prospects in the NHL who weren't nearly as physically advanced. I'm not guaranteeing anything but I do think there's a better than zero chance he cracks the opening night roster. Would go as far as saying I'd be a bit surprised if he's not a Duck by 2025-26.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I believe that he will spend this year in Sweden, although they could move him to the Gulls. He needs at least one more year, and probably two, before he is ready for NHL duty. That said, I am very optimistic that he will succeed with the Ducks.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6469.gif

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Hes already said he is playing at least 1 year in the SHL, hes not going to be in NA this coming season. Good to see him get the contract signed though. I could see him getting some games next season if he adds a little weight/muscle

Reactions: Kalv

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
They have started young prospects in the NHL who weren't nearly as physically advanced. I'm not guaranteeing anything but I do think there's a better than zero chance he cracks the opening night roster. Would go as far as saying I'd be a bit surprised if he's not a Duck by 2025-26.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Solberg got NHL games under his belt before Sennecke. He just is physically more ready and if he knows how to play safe defensive game and bring some physicality, he could earn a spot in the lineup.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I've said it before, it's only rushing if they aren't ready. Otherwise it's just their pace
Yes, but I think we're putting guys in the AHL as soon as we can. I am not convinced (at least yet) that is the best way for them. Albeit McIlvane seems to be able to develop young prospects, still... not convinced we're doing our best there. Despite what Pat said

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yes, but I think we're putting guys in the AHL as soon as we can. I am not convinced (at least yet) that is the best way for them. Albeit McIlvane seems to be able to develop young prospects, still... not convinced we're doing our best there. Despite what Pat said

As far as CHL prospects go, sending them to the AHL at age 20, is pretty much just natural progression. Generally speaking, NHL prospects very rarely return for overage seasons in junior. There's a list that have, but among them are a fair number who were passed over as NHL prospects until they started to breakout as overages. Very few legit drafted prospects are held back that extra year.

Honestly as far as recent memory goes, the only young player I felt was "rushed" too quickly to support the needs of the NHL club, and possibly suffered for it in the long run - Lundy. He needed at least another year or two and maybe could have developed into more if not running on safe mode in the bigs as a teenager. I don't know that anyone else has been sent along too quickly, just a matter of development once they reach the pro level. There have been disappointments in that regard, totally agree there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As far as CHL prospects go, sending them to the AHL at age 20, is pretty much just natural progression. Generally speaking, NHL prospects very rarely return for overage seasons in junior. There's a list that have, but among them are a fair number who were passed over as NHL prospects until they started to breakout as overages. Very few legit drafted prospects are held back that extra year.

Honestly as far as recent memory goes, the only young player I felt was "rushed" too quickly to support the needs of the NHL club, and possibly suffered for it in the long run - Lundy. He needed at least another year or two and maybe could have developed into more if not running on safe mode in the bigs as a teenager. I don't know that anyone else has been sent along too quickly, just a matter of development once they reach the pro level. There have been disappointments in that regard, totally agree there.
Gaucher, it seems as Myatovic as well, and I'm lretty sure I'm missing some, go to AHL at 19. So only one D+1 season in the juniors. Not a fan of that yet

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Gaucher, it seems as Myatovic as well, and I'm lretty sure I'm missing some, go to AHL at 19. So only one D+1 season in the juniors. Not a fan of that yet

Those two are late birthday guys (after Sept 15) so drafted a year later than the rest of the kids in their same birth year. They just end up with an extra season of junior before being drafted and one less after, still turn 20 before the new year of their rookie pro season.

Draft uses a Sept 15th cutoff but AHL eligibility is just by birth year. Myatovic turns 20 on Dec 1st, so this will be considered his age 20 season, Gaucher turned 20 just a few weeks into this past season etc.

Solberg is another example of these late birthday prospects. He's actually turning 19 on Dec 29th, so this coming year is his age 19 season.

From this draft - Solberg and Blais are late born 05s. The rest are all 06 born, with the exception of Burnevik who was a second year eligible 05. Uljanskis doesn't even turn 18 until August 25, just four months before Solberg turns 19.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Those two are late birthday guys (after Sept 15) so drafted a year later than the rest of the kids in their same birth year. They just end up with an extra season of junior before being drafted and one less after, still turn 20 before the new year of their rookie pro season.

Draft uses a Sept 15th cutoff but AHL eligibility is just by birth year. Myatovic turns 20 on Dec 1st, so this will be considered his age 20 season, Gaucher turned 20 just a few weeks into this past season etc.

Solberg is another example of these late birthday prospects. He's actually turning 19 on Dec 29th, so this coming year is his age 19 season.

From this draft - Solberg and Blais are late born 05s. The rest are all 06 born, with the exception of Burnevik who was a second year eligible 05. Uljanskis doesn't even turn 18 until August 25, just four months before Solberg turns 19.
I know it allows them to play in the AHL, not sure why you are explaining that to me. What I'm saying is that for those players, I am not convinced that going to AHL asap is the best way to go

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I know it allows them to play in the AHL, not sure why you are explaining that to me. What I'm saying is that for those players, I am not convinced that going to AHL asap is the best way to go

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone sends their legit prospects to the AHL at that age 20 season (barring a few exceptions) so it's not something we are doing any different with guys like Gaucher or Myatovic. Sorry if you just meant in general that no teams need to be sending them that early, I misinterpreted. But that's how it goes the majority of the time. A lot of people argue that the even the CHL guys should be allowed in the AHL D+1.

It's just become more of a young man's game in general, a lot of teams are getting their prospects in earlier than ever. There definitely are some cases that seem like stretches to me.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I guess what I'm saying is that everyone sends their legit prospects to the AHL at that age 20 season (barring a few exceptions) so it's not something we are doing any different with guys like Gaucher or Myatovic. Sorry if you just meant in general that no teams need to be sending them that early, I misinterpreted. But that's how it goes the majority of the time. A lot of people argue that the even the CHL guys should be allowed in the AHL D+1.

It's just become more of a young man's game in general, a lot of teams are getting their prospects in earlier than ever. There definitely are some cases that seem like stretches to me.
All good, I guess I'm just butthurt that Pat said he will not rush prospects and I see him rushing them to the AHL where I think they might use another season in juniors to develop their game further instead of playong bottom 6 mins in the pros. Well, I'm not a professional, so... :laugh: I'm not even sure it's a done decision with Myatovic but I saw it somewhere. Same applies for Gaucher. We actually used the same for Minty, despite my scepticism, it has worked out well so far

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
All good, I guess I'm just butthurt that Pat said he will not rush prospects and I see him rushing them to the AHL where I think they might use another season in juniors to develop their game further instead of playong bottom 6 mins in the pros. Well, I'm not a professional, so... :laugh: I'm not even sure it's a done decision with Myatovic but I saw it somewhere. Same applies for Gaucher. We actually used the same for Minty, despite my scepticism, it has worked out well so far
I think it’s a fair criticism of Verbeek that he very publicly said that he prefers to overcook prospects rather than rush them, and then he has rushed nearly every serious prospect that we have.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Wholeheartedly disagree, they all proved to be ready for this level. I don't consider it "rushing" if they're good enough to be here
Carlsson was absolutely not physically ready, and certainly not “overcooked”.
McTavish has fallen off dramatically in the second half of both seasons, and has been repeatedly injured. Not “overcooked”
Mintyukov had pretty poor possession numbers despite being sheltered. “Not overcooked”.
Zellweger spent a decent chunk of time in the AHL, but the season ticket holders I know don’t feel that his defensive play was impressive at that level, so he wasn’t “overcooked”.

“overcooking” means being held back until they’re more than ready. Go blow it up in the AHL like Getzlaf and Perry did. Regardless of whether or not you think that they’re ready, it’s inarguable that he’s not “overcooked” anyone.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
“overcooking” means being held back until they’re more than ready. Go blow it up in the AHL like Getzlaf and Perry did. Regardless of whether or not you think that they’re ready, it’s inarguably that he’s not “overcooked” anyone.
Well I think there's a pretty big gap between someone being "overcooked" and someone being "rushed" (which is what I was disagreeing with in my post)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Well I think there's a pretty big gap between someone being "overcooked" and someone being "rushed" (which is what I was disagreeing with in my post)
I think you can make a fair statement that Carlsson was rushed, as well as McTavish.

Edit - and I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say that his words don’t match his deeds on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad