Ducks name Radko Gudas captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I generally don't like handing the C over to players who have only 2 years left on their deal, and could be trade bait during the final season. Seems wasted but I guess choices were limited.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why are fans of Canadian teams upset about this?

raph.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This thread is proof noone knows shit about the Ducks.

Like 90% of Ducks fans think this is a perfect choice. Main board is full of people making fun of it. And most of the Ducks fans that didn't want Gudas wanted Zegras just for the plot lol.

He is a perfect short term captain while their young guys just focus on getting better. In 2-3 years Leo/McT/Cutter/someone else will be ready to step into the role.
I'm not 100% up to date on the Ducks myself (aside from noticing y'all's tendency to poach the guys we want in the draft just before we get the chance to draft 'em ourselves ;) ) but it seems a pretty obvious pick to me. Heck, I was hoping we could trade for the guy. Guess that isn't happening now. Oh well. :dunno: :)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Speaks a lot to the current state of the Ducks. Yikes.
gudas is the logical choice with who the ducks currently have. in terms of vets, its basically him, strome, vatrano, fowler, and i guess you could consider terry a vet at this point. other than that, the ducks roster is comprised of kids and career bottom line players. gudas is the right choice as a stopgap before someone like mctavish or carlsson takes over

SingDomestica

Jul 10, 2008
SoCal
I generally don't like handing the C over to players who have only 2 years left on their deal, and could be trade bait during the final season. Seems wasted but I guess choices were limited.

Agreed, but they do need someone in the interim while the young guys continue to develop, as they’re not ready for this role right now. McTavish has been thrown out there as a potential candidate, but the way that Gauthier has conducted himself with the media and the rookies, I feel he really has some good natural leading abilities, so I’d think he might be it in the future, but obviously way too soon for that right now.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I see a lot of strong reactions to Gudas that I don't share.

I don't think Gudas is an awful choice. He's a good guy, and probably should end up with an A on his jersey. But it says a lot about the Ducks and their current lack of leadership that they have to promote a guy who only joined the org a year ago and who isn't exactly renown for his legendary leadership.

In other words, the problem is not necessarily choosing Gudas but rather the lack of other, more legit options. It's not like the Ducks are an expansion team. They have a lot of players who have spent many years there, some who have only played for this franchise.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I see a lot of strong reactions to Gudas that I don't share.

I don't think Gudas is an awful choice. He's a good guy, and probably should end up with an A on his jersey. But it says a lot about the Ducks and their current lack of leadership that they have to promote a guy who only joined the org a year ago and who isn't exactly renown for his legendary leadership.

In other words, the problem is not necessarily choosing Gudas but rather the lack of other, more legit options. It's not like the Ducks are an expansion team. They have a lot of players who have spent many years there, some who have only played for this franchise.

It's always funny when fans get bent out of shape over who a team chooses as captain as if they have any idea how "qualified" he is. Pretty sure his teammates and the coaching staff are pretty comfortable with the choice. Most of the biggest a-holes on the ice are well-liked good guys off the ice like Gudas, Wilson, Perry, Reaves, etc.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Gudas has been nothing but class in anahiem, sorry he screamed in your goalies face… but get over it
It wasn’t even in the goalie’s face. It was a brief Woooooo! right after the puck went in. It lasted just a second, but was captured in that (classic) pic. The goalie wasn’t even looking at him. It’s much ado about nothing.
Those saying he’s not a good captain really haven’t been paying attention to him over the years. He was part of the leadership while was in FL, and had a big part in the team’s upward trend.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Seems like a Fowler trade is going to happen sooner than later cause why would you not name Fowler captain?
Cause he is charmin soft…. And doesn’t represent the Identity that PV is trying to build.

PV inherited fowler, he served his purpose but he’s going to be passed up by our lhd real quick with Minyukov zellweger lacombe hinds solberg etc

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Speaks a lot to the current state of the Ducks. Yikes.
I know you mean this as an insult, but it really does, and not in a bad way.

Their best players are all 23 and under with the exception of Terry. Every single one of them is still developing and learning. No reason to put extra pressure on them when you have a heart and soul guy like Gudas that everyone loves and respects.

Not to mention Gudas was an absolute stud for the Ducks last year. It isnt like they gave it to some #6 defensemen.

The only other realistic option was Killorn.

Seems like a Fowler trade is going to happen sooner than later cause why would you not name Fowler captain?

The Ducks have not had a captain for 3 years. Fowler has been here 14 seasons (holy shit). If they thought he was good for captain they would have given it to him 3 years ago. Same goes for Terry.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Holding the fort until someone like Mctavish is ready. Gudas might be a pos on the ice but he’s the right choice for a team still rebuilding then giving it then a younger player to take the burden why the team is performing bad when they no where no contention yet.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If the Leafs are such a joke, surely the fan of the only team to lose a playoffs series to the leafs in 20+ years should be in no position to chirp?

Flukes happen, Tampa was clearly tired from deep runs so they gave the Leafs a pity win. Don't know why Toronto fans even talk, just an embarassing team to support.

The Gudas lead ducks are going to eliminate the Lightning in a playoff series, twice?

They're going to win more than 1 playoff round in 20 years. Probably a cup before the Laughs win one as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad