Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
I believe you mean PANTONE®, good sir.
ORANGE you glad he learned something new?

E4B25F3C-516F-4163-8B40-F722EACA8A12.gif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's reality. I'm sorry that you don't understand supply chains, but they are real and have to be managed. The same color has to be reproduced exactly across hundreds of different materials from hundreds of different suppliers. That is not a remotely trivial process, it's just one that you take completely for granted since other people are the ones doing the work.

:laugh: Are you kidding me?

My guy. It's 2024. I get supply chains—hell, I work directly with medium-to-large apparel companies (and I have a couple friends who manage smaller ones). The lack of variety in team colors isn't because no one can reliably source various types of f***ing purple fabric. The NHL is a multi-billion dollar business. Most teams do nine figures in revenue every year. They can commission the manufacture of shirts and hats in any color they want to (provided they want to).

Yes, it's difficult to get exact shades correct, but that's already the case—and no one cares. You bring me five pieces of team merch from an official team store and you'll have five slightly different shades of the same color. That's not the reason that entire bands of the rainbow aren't represented in the league. The newest team in the league uses "Ice Blue" Pantone 324C as one of its main colors. Is this a common shade? Do you see this on a lot of shirts? No? Well, no other professional sports team has ever used it, but that didn't stop Seattle from selecting it, nor did it stop '47 or Mitchell & Ness or Adidas from creating apparel that reproduces it.

People say ludicrous things on this forum, but this is one of the more ridiculous I've encountered.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The uniforms the Kings have used since 2011 are low key some of the worst jerseys in NHL history.

Absolutely. The Kings have won multiple Cups in those things and I never see that logo worn around LA - at least outside of the LA Live area during gamedays. I see plenty of Kings jerseys/hats/shirts/whatever, but they're always throwbacks or alternates.

There's always that one guy who pushed back when I'd say they needed to be changed, but...no. The last time the Penguins wore a jersey with vegas gold on it they were raising the Cup and nobody wants those back.

I'll be honest...I'm a lot more likely to watch more Kings games now. I'm a transplant and my loyalties are always going to be with the Penguins, so I'm definitely not the best example, but I'm just more likely to put a game on in the background if I find the jerseys aesthetically pleasing. On that note...the Ducks doubling down on their roadwork orange is the antithesis of aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm happy that they'll finally not have the worst logo in the league for the first time in nearly 20 years, but I f***ing hate that color. That said, I'll still take aggressively ugly over bland and uninspiring any day.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If no one cares about exact shades, then what the f*** are you on about again?

The Flyers don't have a monopoly on orange. Regardless of shade.

I understood your general thinking as "teams end up with completely redundant colors because of supply chains!" and my response to that was "haha what." Which I think meant I was reading past what you were writing, so my feelings were:

This is a billion-dollar business and teams have introduced completely unique primary or accent shades in the very recent past—Seattle's ice blue, Dallas's highlighter green, hell, the Flyers themselves just changed from one shade of orange to another last summer.

Yes, there is variance in the fan merchandise that gets produced for teams and no one cares: you buy it or you don't. Yes, there is expediency (and TV camera appearance) that leads to 4ish teams using the exact same shade of navy blue. But official team branding/on-ice uniforms are not based on access to dyes and fabrics ("supply chains") because again, this isn't 1600. They can have unique colors, it's the lack of creativity/uniqueness in branding that leads to redundancies. Two different conversations, perhaps.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I understood your general thinking as "teams end up with completely redundant color schemes because of supply chains!" and my response to that was "hahahahaha what."

This is a billion-dollar business and teams have introduced completely unique primary or accent shades in the very recent past—Seattle's ice blue, Dallas's highlighter green—hell, the Flyers themselves just changed from one shade of orange to another last summer.

Yes, there is variance in the fan merchandise that gets produced for teams and no one cares: you buy it or you don't. But official team branding/on-ice uniforms are not based on access to dyes and fabrics because again, this isn't 1600. We're good to drop this conversation.
No, they wind up with redundant color schemes because there are only so many basic color groups. A red team is a red team, an orange team is an orange team. Nobody is checking color cards to see if the shade of blue is the same for the Leafs and the Rangers, from a fan POV they're the effectively the same color. How many red teams are there with identical shades of red? Both Pittsburgh and Boston use the same shade of yellow, which was the standard "gold" of any sports apparel catalog for decades.

If you're not whining incessantly about those, I'd invite you to stop whining about more than one team wearing orange.

Teams often wind up with the precise same shade of blue (or any other color) because there are some industry standard shades that everyone already has in their catalog. It's just easier to go with those shades. The Flyers switched between what would often be labeled as "bright orange" to "burnt orange", both established colors. They didn't go in and pick a custom hex code.

Of course custom shades can exist for expensive items like jerseys (and you can print graphics in any color as well), but they're extremely limiting- see if you can find any neon green tee shirts for Dallas. Lots of stuff in their standard green, because it can readily be found in any sports apparel catalog. BTW, the Kraken Ice Blue is NOT a non-standard shade. Not a frequently used one in the NHL, but it's readily available. Here, buy a tee shirt. A bunch are offered from different manufacturers.

I would urge you to consider that you might be being slightly irrational and contradicting yourself here.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I’m just hoping the Kings don’t overdo it with the silver. Both in terms of glitter and also just the amount. The only thing more boring than black and white is gray.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
No, they wind up with redundant color schemes because there are only so many basic color groups. A red team is a red team, an orange team is an orange team. Nobody is checking color cards to see if the shade of blue is the same for the Leafs and the Rangers, from a fan POV they're the effectively the same color. How many red teams are there with identical shades of red? Both Pittsburgh and Boston use the same shade of yellow, which was the standard "gold" of any sports apparel catalog for decades.

If you're not whining incessantly about those, I'd invite you to stop whining about more than one team wearing orange.

Teams often wind up with the precise same shade of blue (or any other color) because there are some industry standard shades that everyone already has in their catalog. It's just easier to go with those shades. The Flyers switched between what would often be labeled as "bright orange" to "burnt orange", both established colors. They didn't go in and pick a custom hex code.

Of course custom shades can exist for expensive items like jerseys (and you can print graphics in any color as well), but they're extremely limiting- see if you can find any neon green tee shirts for Dallas. Lots of stuff in their standard green, because it can readily be found in any sports apparel catalog. BTW, the Kraken Ice Blue is NOT a non-standard shade. Not a frequently used one in the NHL, but it's readily available. Here, buy a tee shirt. A bunch are offered from different manufacturers.

I would urge you to consider that you might be being slightly irrational and contradicting yourself here.

I had HEAVILY edited that post to better characterize what I was getting at (and to be less of an asshole) because I realized we'd been going in two different directions, but I didn't do it fast enough.

This all stems from us talking about why their were so few unique color schemes in the league, which was my main focus, and got convoluted when it switched to shades along the way. You'd said, essentially, 6 primary colors means there will be inevitable overlap and my thought process is that's silly when all 6 aren't even represented in the league at the moment.

From there, I was pointing out that there isn't one BLUE or GREEN, there are countless, and they're often reproducible. So when you started talking about supply chains, I wasn't thinking about custom hex or whatever, I was thinking, "what, do you think it's impossible to get your hands on 5 or 6 different flavors of blue? come on." That's where stuff like the Kraken ice blue comes in, though the Dallas addition was a poor example (as is Leafs/Rangers, though—they're noticeably distinct).

So what you're saying lines up with...generally what I'm thinking. Yes, hyper-custom is hard, but it's not like we've checked off every readily available flavor of every color yet, let alone every aesthetically pleasing combo of them—not even close! And I don't think anyone can claim to be The Blue Team or The Orange Team because those are essentially categories, you can have a peach or a true burnt orange or a bright orange or whatever else beneath that. But you don't, because teams don't really prioritize having totally unique color schemes from each other, and I wish they did. I'd have the same feeling if the Ducks were rebranding to black and yellow or any red and blue or other existing scheme in the league.

That teaser looks tasty though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad