Confirmed with Link: Ducks Extend John Gibson 3 years 2.3 mil AAV

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Wow. Was not expecting this to happen so early in the season. This should definitely light a fire under Freddie's ass for sure. This could go down as a hell of a steal if Gibson can put it together in the very near future. This also gives Murray incredible flexibility when it comes to Freddie. If he has a big season he can trade him as to not pay him a huge contract. If Gibson still isn't coming along he can play hard ball with Freddie and sign him to an affordable one-year deal that allows Freddie to go to free agency the year after. If Freddie kills it and makes himself the guy he can sign him to a long-term deal (the least likely scenario in my opinion) and then have Gibson as an amazingly valuable trade asset. This is a big-time win for Murray. What'll be interesting is seeing how Freddie reacts to this. Anyone thinking an extension for him might be around the corner better not hold their breath. There's not a chance he'd take a similarly sweet deal for the team nor should he be in any hurry to secure himself a deal of any kind. He's in a position to have a big season and earn a really big pay day. But to me, that looks unlikely to happen with this team especially now Gibson is locked-up.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
How in the world is this a definite win for Murray.

Gibson had ZERO leverage. He's barely played in the NHL. This is too much money. No it's not a killer contract, but like the Kesler deal, Murray caving way too early for too much. If this is what Gibson gets with his track record, imagine what Lindholm is going to get.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Wow. Was not expecting this to happen so early in the season. This should definitely light a fire under Freddie's ass for sure. This could go down as a hell of a steal if Gibson can put it together in the very near future. This also gives Murray incredible flexibility when it comes to Freddie. If he has a big season he can trade him as to not pay him a huge contract. If Gibson still isn't coming along he can play hard ball with Freddie and sign him to an affordable one-year deal that allows Freddie to go to free agency the year after. If Freddie kills it and makes himself the guy he can sign him to a long-term deal (the least likely scenario in my opinion) and then have Gibson as an amazingly valuable trade asset. This is a big-time win for Murray. What'll be interesting is seeing how Freddie reacts to this. Anyone thinking an extension for him might be around the corner better not hold their breath. There's not a chance he'd take a similarly sweet deal for the team nor should he be in any hurry to secure himself a deal of any kind. He's in a position to have a big season and earn a really big pay day. But to me, that looks unlikely to happen with this team especially now Gibson is locked-up.

There's no such thing as an "amazingly valuable" trade asset that plays in goal.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Kind of agree with the others, seems like a bit of a reach given what he has done so far. Goalies historically don't bring much back as trade chips anyways, so using it as leverage to potentially move him should Freddie have a big year doesn't make that much sense either.

I guess the cost certainty is a plus? Cost certainty doesn't really matter though if you overpay guys. It feels like Gibson wouldn't have much leverage in this sort of negotiation anyways, so giving him this sort of AAV is a bit of a stretch.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Seems like with the Kesler, Gibson, and Rakell talks they are trying to get as many ufa's/rfa's done sooner than later of the ones they are certain on keeping or have the least leverage.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
How in the world is this a definite win for Murray.

Gibson had ZERO leverage. He's barely played in the NHL. This is too much money. No it's not a killer contract, but like the Kesler deal, Murray caving way too early for too much. If this is what Gibson gets with his track record, imagine what Lindholm is going to get.

This new contract doesn't kick in until the 2016-17 season. The Ducks are betting that Gibson becomes an elite goalie, as many have predicted in the past. If he does become one of the elite goalies in the league, then his salary averaging out at $2.3 is dirt cheap compared to a young goalie like Semyon Varlamov getting $5.9 million for the next four years or Sergei Bobrovsky getting $7.425 million for the next four years. Gibson has not proven himself as these two goalies have, but experts have predicted him reaching this elite status. So the Ducks are gambling on Gibson presently, so that if he reaches elite status, they don't have to pay him $6 or $7 million annually over the next four years, and as a result, maintain the core of the young players who are hopefully maturing into star players in the future and maintain their Stanley Cup window. If Gibson, fails to reach potential, $2.3 million anually is only slightly overpaying for backup goalie. This is a shrewd gamble on BM's part.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Higher money than I hoped, but lower than I feared. Of course I'd be happier if the AAV was in the $1.5 million range.

What a strange timing for this deal. I guess Bob caved this early, because he wants to get some of these contracts done before the cap-ma-geddon. Don't know what this means for our future in net, as we now have Gibby under contract and Freddy is still without one.

What about Gibson's RFA status - I assume he's still a RFA at the end of the 3-year bridge?

EDIT:

It's also very possible that Bob had to overpay a bit to get that 3rd extension year in return...

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This new contract doesn't kick in until the 2016-17 season. The Ducks are betting that Gibson becomes an elite goalie, as many have predicted in the past. If he does become one of the elite goalies in the league, then his salary averaging out at $2.3 is dirt cheap compared to a young goalie like Semyon Varlamov getting $5.9 million for the next four years or Sergei Bobrovsky getting $7.425 million for the next four years. Gibson has not proven himself as these two goalies have, but experts have predicted him reaching this elite status. So the Ducks are gambling on Gibson presently, so that if he reaches elite status, they don't have to pay him $6 or $7 million annually over the next four years, and as a result, maintain the core of the young players who are hopefully maturing into star players in the future and maintain their Stanley Cup window. If Gibson, fails to reach potential, $2.3 million anually is only slightly overpaying for backup goalie. This is a shrewd gamble on BM's part.

This. I'm REALLY not seeing the problem here. I know we're gonna be giving a **** ton to Kesler, but it's 2.3m. Maybe it's not a show of brilliance from Murray but I wouldn't call it a mistake.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The timing suggests this could be an olive branch for possibly sticking him in the minors for the year.

Other than that, I don't quite get it.

Weren't there reports that Gibson was pissed at the possibility of being in the AHL?

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Well, he didn't prove much so far, but aside of the last year of contract those money aren't terrible for a 1B goalie. I'm fine with this contract more than I am with the Kesler one...

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This. I'm REALLY not seeing the problem here. I know we're gonna be giving a **** ton to Kesler, but it's 2.3m. Maybe it's not a show of brilliance from Murray but I wouldn't call it a mistake.

Because it's about a million more than he's earned, meaning that there's 1M less to re-sign everyone else when the Cap appears stagnant, and it may (MAY) cause issues getting the other RFA's to take sweetheart deals to keep the team together when he's handing out big money to a guy who's completely unproven.

Again, it isn't horrible, but it isn't great. It's a gamble on a player whose ability and health are pretty much unproven at this point. He could be Price or he could be DiPietro.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's 2.3m. It hardly breaks the bank, no need to go too crazy over it.

Especially as I suspect Andersen won't be here when Gibson's contract actually kicks in.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I am not positive but the expansion draft seems to be tentatively for the 2017-2018 summer. Gibson will only be in year 1 or 1.5 million before we have to move either him or Andersen anyways. So the other years are mute point imo. He'll either be our only #1 or someone else's goaltender.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I like it. You have to take certain risks with this many RFAs coming up. Sign Lindholm and Vatanen now and I'm a happy camper

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Had a feeling Gibby would get a contract extension done early. Good discount if he turns out to be even a decent starter, great steal if he at all lives up to his ceiling.

Pretty good job on this, Murray and crew. Now get Hammer locked up please.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The only thing that worries me is his health. IMO Gibson will be a top 10 goalie in the league if he can string together full seasons. His ceiling is much higher than Andersens.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Well . . . now Freddie really can't stick around. And I doubt we'll know if Gibson's the guy by next fall. That's why it's a gamble.
I would rather take the gamble with Gibson in 16-17 then have to fork out 4-5 on a long term Andersen contract to be honest (at this stage at least).

The only thing that worries me is his health. IMO Gibson will be a top 10 goalie in the league if he can string together full seasons. His ceiling is much higher than Andersens.
Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad