News: Duchene intrigued by free-agency route after watching Tavares

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Inspired by Tavares, he's Free Agency bound, so he can live his childhood dream... and play for his favourite team growing up.

Amirite?
Wasn't his favorite team growing up Colorado?
Pretty sure Sakic was his idol growing up. Think that ship has sailed.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Matt Duchene's tenure in Ottawa could wind up being very brief, as the 2019 unrestricted free agent confirmed to reporters Friday that he and the Senators haven't had any contract talks yet.”

That’s ridiculous. I get that EK is priority, but he alone isn’t a 24/7 job. How do you not at least get talks started with Duchene?

Well, there is only Melnyk and Dorion left at the office. Dorion is probably sharpening the skates with a dagger after Melnyk sold the sharpening machine last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Can’t trade Duchene for futures because then that makes Dorion look like a fool if their pick to Colorado ends up being Hughes but you also can’t let another star walk in free agency (especially after giving up that package for him). Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Just keeps getting worse for the Sens. I feel for the fans. It’s almost insane to think that 16 months ago this was a team that was one goal away from a SCF.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Duchene doesn't strike me as a loyal player. I'm sure he'll move where the money is...sure as hell isn't Melnyk's Ottawa.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
who the hell would want to stay in Ottawa if they had a choice , there ufa's are all walking if not traded first

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Anyone smelling a really bad trade coming? This is just a terrible trade, no first rounder, Karlsson maybe moving on, Duchene as well. This is a GM who knows this might be his career being over if the team dissolves at his finger tips after almost making the finals.

I think he is going to make a career saving deal to try and make the playoffs, and lose more assets in the process while everyone walks at the end of the year.

Reactions: viper0220

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
who the hell would want to stay in Ottawa if they had a choice , there ufa's are all walking if not traded first
they still have to pay in actual money and not in cheese...unless that is something Melnyk is trying to change...they have to reach the cap floor, so a guy like Duchene can play for some big $$$$ with some real good young talent around him..

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Inspired by Tavares, he's Free Agency bound, so he can live his childhood dream... and play for his favourite team growing up.

Amirite?

Avs and habs were his favourite teams growing up.
He obviously won't want to go the avs, but the habs is a possibility considering they have a need at center and have loads of cap space

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Meh, their situation is a little overblown. Yea, they've had a really bad ~12 month stretch. So what? Look at what fans of Edmonton, Toronto, Carolina, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Columbus, NYI, etc, went through. Pretty solid 8-10 year stretches of crap.

It'll take a few years to see how bad it really is. Ottawa has at least three really solid pieces to sell off if they are blowing it up (Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone). I really don't see them going through a 5+ year stretch of non-playoffs, assuming they play their cards right.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Anyone smelling a really bad trade coming? This is just a terrible trade, no first rounder, Karlsson maybe moving on, Duchene as well. This is a GM who knows this might be his career being over if the team dissolves at his finger tips after almost making the finals.

I think he is going to make a career saving deal to try and make the playoffs, and lose more assets in the process while everyone walks at the end of the year.

For the sake of Ottawa fans, I hope not. I mean, if they are going to trade away their mainstays, they might as well recoup some prospects and draft picks, go for a proper rebuild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Duchene doesn't strike me as a loyal player. I'm sure he'll move where the money is...sure as hell isn't Melnyk's Ottawa.
What, so you think he should be loyal to OTT, then likely get moved by them whenever THEY feel ready to?
Duchene owes OTT nothing but his best for this year. After that, nothing.

Habs need to pick up the phone and at least ask what the price is. If the ask is Poehling, do they do it?

Reactions: Pure

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
they still have to pay in actual money and not in cheese...unless that is something Melnyk is trying to change...they have to reach the cap floor, so a guy like Duchene can play for some big $$$$ with some real good young talent around him..
and you believe Melnyk would will out bid every interested team if MD decides to test the ufa waters ?

i'm sure there's plenty of teams willing to pay big $$$ for a still young high quality center and won't be the clown show the Sens got turned into

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad