Eklund Rumor: Dubas interested in Gudas

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The talking heads at TSN said the Leafs have 4.1M in cap room, but need 3.8M for bonus's that Marner and Matthews will hit....so it looks like they need a money deal, where money in and money out has to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don't think the Flyers would trade him for a 2nd to be honest.

The rationale behind trading him aside from the fact that he's a polarizing player in Philly is that the Flyers have a lot of defenseman locked into roster spots for next season. Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Hagg, and Myers are locks to be in the opening night roster unless there's a surprising offseason trade. The Flyers really want to give Morin a legit chance next season after he's fully recovered from injury and then AMac still has a year left on an untradeable contract so they are probably the 6th and 7th defenseman. If they keep Gudas they would probably be forced to keep Morin in the AHL because it would be a waste to have a young guy sit in the press box as a #7 and I think they view Morin as a cheaper option to replace what Gudas brings.

I don't think its so much that they want him gone, it's more of a numbers game and the fact that Gudas has a reasonable cap hit for what he brings so he would certainly have some value. I hope they find a way out of AMacs contract and I would rather see them trade Hagg but that's just me.
Idk if you’re referring to keeping Morin at the AHL level next year, but he would have to pass through waivers. That’s a no because every team would most likely line up to grab him. Although Gudas is expendable since Morin is a meaner physical presence, I’d like to keep Gudas. Also, Morin is signed for 3 more years at like ~800K. If he does anything serviceable at the NHL level, it’s a win.

Provorov - Sanheim
Ghost - Myers
Morin - Gudas
Hagg/Amac
*Try and trade Hagg

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If they do get Gudas, they have to move salary out right away because of Matthews + Marner bonuses.

Who would that be? Brown?

Brown + 2nd for Gudas?

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The 3 ways I can see this working out

1) 2020 2nd + 2019 3rd + 2020 4th for Gudas + 2019 4th
2) Brown + 2020 2nd for Gudas (15% retained)
3) 2019 3rd + Dmytro Timashov + 2020 3rd for Gudas + 2019 5th

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If he clears, they send him to the minors, and still pay the salary...and only get around 1M in cap space.

The talking heads at TSN said the Leafs have 4.1M in cap room, but need 3.8M for bonus's that Marner and Matthews will hit....so it looks like they need a money deal, where money in and money out has to happen.
That’s for this year?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Just because he is the only RD does not mean he is good.

Zero reason for the Flyers to trade Gudas.
He is good. Plays 20 minutes a night. Second most ice time for all Leafs players last night just behind Morgan Rielly. Played over 4 minutes out of a total of 6 minues on the PK. And he does this routinely.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
They were discussing this on a podcast I listen to and brought up that the people in charge of Philly now are old school types and Gudas is their only tough guy type on the back end and don't see why Philly would be interested in moving him this year.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
No one has speculated they have.

This thread is about targeting a legitimate mid-pairing RHD in Radko Gudas.
I am not the guy you need to convince, but if I were I wouldn't be buying that sales pitch. Nobody is targeting the guy, especially not a cup contender tight against the cap next year. Seattle might be interested I guess, but even they wouldn't be targeting the guy. You make it sound like he is some luscious jewel of a get, but he is exactly what I suggested, a slightly newer and more expensive version of Roman Polak. Been there, done that. No thanks.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I am not the guy you need to convince, but if I were I wouldn't be buying that sales pitch. Nobody is targeting the guy, especially not a cup contender tight against the cap next year. Seattle might be interested I guess, but even they wouldn't be targeting the guy. You make it sound like he is some luscious jewel of a get, but he is exactly what I suggested, a slightly newer and more expensive version of Roman Polak. Been there, done that. No thanks.

Not pitching anything, since i dont want to move him. Thats a terrible comparison, but hey, everyones entitled to their opinions, even if they are terrible ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad