Dubas details his 'biggest mistake' as Leafs GM in new book

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Was it the Tavares contract? Without reading the thread and just the title, I’m going to say it’s the Tavares contract.

Everyone knows it’s the Tavares contract.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Was it the Tavares contract? Without reading the thread and just the title, I’m going to say it’s the Tavares contract.

Everyone knows it’s the Tavares contract.

Yes but with the twist that the Tavares contract impacted what he signed the others for. He should have signed the others first.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So, having served as a GM at the junior and AHL level (where the team won a championship) and spending 3 years as an assistant GM to a top NHL GM does not make one qualified to serve as a NHL GM?

Dubas was never qualified to hold any of those jobs either. He got his Greyhounds gig because of family connections and then everything else came after. He's nepobaby.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
JT was leafs biggest mistake, They didn't need him and they still don't. He was a hamper on their ability to fill needs. It was such a FOMO signing and it cost them the chance they have for a cup ( Canadian division year)
JT himself wasn’t a mistake the contract he gave to a guy that wanted to be in Toronto was the mistake.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Remember when Dubas and Chayka were the two boy wonders of the NHL? They were both so obviously overrated because of the analytics fad, had limited life experience, and yet were thrust into important front office jobs.
They should be assistant gms. They have some knowledge, but not the whole picture

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Dubas was never qualified to hold any of those jobs either. He got his Greyhounds gig because of family connections and then everything else came after. He's nepobaby.
His grandfather coached the team before he was born and his sister was in marketing. There wasn't nepotism involved at all considering the owner had nothing to do with the team then. You can say he wasn't qualified to get that job but he did a good one regardless. He also did well with the Marlies. He shouldn't have gotten the Leafs GM job but out of who was there, it certainly wasn't worse than the other options. Just sad that a team like the Leafs pidgeon holed themselves into Lou, Hunter and Dubas instead of looking outside for someone with an idea how to rebuild, draft, and sign contracts. Lou might have been the better option of the three for a couple more years but that's on Shanny, not Dubas. No one in their right mind is turning down a gm job with that much talent sitting there

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
His grandfather coached the team before he was born and his sister was in marketing. There wasn't nepotism involved at all considering the owner had nothing to do with the team then. You can say he wasn't qualified to get that job but he did a good one regardless. He also did well with the Marlies. He shouldn't have gotten the Leafs GM job but out of who was there, it certainly wasn't worse than the other options. Just sad that a team like the Leafs pidgeon holed themselves into Lou, Hunter and Dubas instead of looking outside for someone with an idea how to rebuild, draft, and sign contracts. Lou might have been the better option of the three for a couple more years but that's on Shanny, not Dubas. No one in their right mind is turning down a gm job with that much talent sitting there

His family had connections with the Greyhounds organization, which didn't just go away once his grandfather stopped coaching there. You think it's one huge coincidence his big break came with the Greyhounds?

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
His family had connections with the Greyhounds organization, which didn't just go away once his grandfather stopped coaching there. You think it's one huge coincidence his big break came with the Greyhounds?
His grandfather coached them in the 60's. 30 years before Lukenda bought the team so Esposito wouldn't move them. There's zero connections there. As far as whether or not being from SSM helped him? Why wouldn't it? It's laughable you think that shouldn't somehow. He grew up around the team. Do you have any idea who the other candidates were? Hint. No one you've heard of

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not like tons of average fans hockey people didn't say that then. Over paid Tavares and the others demanded and got more. Built a top heave team that couldn't beat deep rosters at playboff hockey. Case closed. Long ago.
Dubas and his premature book is not exactly divulging state secrets.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
How do busy people write books? Too many people write books

Ghostwriters.

And I'm convinced that modern book industry is propped up by money laundering schemes, mostly used by politicians to get kickbacks.

Either way, Can't wait for Dubas' next book detailing all the mistakes he's made for the Penguins. Already a dozen chapters in already.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He can't get a pass for that because every other team also had to deal with the same thing. The quote in the book from Belfry is telling, they based their decisions assuming the cap continues to go up, but if you're basing anything on projections, you need to also manage risk.

Its like people who expect the stock market to keep going up and then one day it doesn't, then taking no responsibility for their decision. Gotta have range of outcomes when making decisions and mange risk appropriately. If they wanted to take the risk that cap was going to keep moving up, that's fine, but then accept the responsibility of what happens when it doesn't.
Exactly.
Dubas will have you believe covid and the cap stole the Cup from him. That's a good one. Harlold Ballard's got nothing on this guy. 😉
All GMs playing by same rules and risks. Dubas just sucked at it. While many didn't.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Ghostwriters.

And I'm convinced that modern book industry is propped up by money laundering schemes, mostly used by politicians to get kickbacks.

Either way, Can't wait for Dubas' next book detailing all the mistakes he's made for the Penguins. Already a dozen chapters in already.
Wait until you realize him being an ex agent means he thinks he's still one and argues on top of the players agent for even more money and NMCs. I feel for Pens fans because he really does have the attitude of smartest guy in the room and his failures can only exist long after the fact, like in a book

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I still say signing Tavares was the right move because they didn't have to give up anything but money. The very worst case scenario was trading one of the core players for cap reasons. So, e.g., you get Tavares plus a bunch of picks and prospects for Nylander. That's a win in my books. He just decided not to do that. If he made a mistake it wasn't Tavares, it was defiantly holding onto too many high dollar contacts.

Reactions: Voight

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I still think Tavares made it the worst way possible. Holding out on his franchise to get anything out of him before playoff. Holdi g out, aint saying anything. Then signing the hometown team(no harm against you there bud), but no hometown discount here. No no. The reverse . He swept his hometeam, wiyh a 8 year hyper overpayment. I get its his last big conrract, but man. If you want to win the cup, you better help the team with the cap, 10 millions at least. Slow Tavares is a type that ages baaadly.
But as with all overblown and expensive contracts, its biting the player itself in the ass. Eirher buyout, trade, LTIR,or seem by fans as a big anchor. Tavares at 6-7 millions I would be Ok with. 11,5, no ,not a chance by a country mile. The Tavares contract, and handling was a failure. Well, only two years left. Hold on.

I still say signing Tavares was the right move because they didn't have to give up anything but money. The very worst case scenario was trading one of the core players for cap reasons. So, e.g., you get Tavares plus a bunch of picks and prospects for Nylander. That's a win in my books. He just decided not to do that. If he made a mistake it wasn't Tavares, it was defiantly holding onto too many high dollar contacts.
Tavares for sure is a hometown bou, but man, his playingstyle is the sort that ages bad. 11,5 millions. Yikes.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
you can sing from the rooftops all day long "NEPOBABY" if you want, but he was successful everywhere except the NHL (hint hint, so are a lot of people the NHL isn't easy to win in)

I don't care for Toronto and I have no opinion on the penguins but being a nepobaby isn't a mark on Dubas. He had the chops to back it up until the NHL and his career isn't over yet. Saying hes a nepobaby isn't valid criticism beyond letting us know his family had connections, it bares nothing on him today.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
His grandfather coached them in the 60's. 30 years before Lukenda bought the team so Esposito wouldn't move them. There's zero connections there. As far as whether or not being from SSM helped him? Why wouldn't it? It's laughable you think that shouldn't somehow. He grew up around the team. Do you have any idea who the other candidates were? Hint. No one you've heard of

Mrs. Dubas, I'm sorry but your son just isn't all that special.

Reactions: Samhockey3

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
His biggest mistakes was losing Kadri and Hyman for nothing, they are the exact sort of players the Leafs needed.

Personally I think most people would naturally sign Tavares, but allowing your prospects to then hose you while gutting team toughness and competitiveness was the nail in the coffin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad