Confirmed with Link: Dryden Hunt traded for Denis Malgin

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Seems like a guy who's top-six or bust. Rooting for him to succeed, love it when older European league players get a new shot at the NHL.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I really like this trade for us. A dime a dozen 4th liner who doesn't make our healthy roster is worth the gamble on Malgin. I was at the TOR/WAS game a few days ago and Malgin stood out in a positive way to me. He's a good skater with good puck skills. He rang the post on a shot from the outside and had the puck on his stick a lot. These types always seem to thrive here. I could see him turning into a good middle six winger or at worst a decent depth scorer. He's more talented than most of the fill ins we've been rostering this year at least. I've seen a few posts saying he's a center? He played wing with Tavares and Marner in the game I went to.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
IIRC the Leafs traded a still-developing Mason Marchment for him.

Hunt put up better defensive numbers than I realized but he was beyond atrocious offensively. Still, he was fine as a waiver wire pickup that was then parlayed to address a need.

And he’s 50% on faceoffs this year! :naughty:

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yes, you get a lot of leg movement with Malgin but no finish. He just really literally didn't fit in anywhere with Toronto. Maybe he will click with you guys and if he does then you will easily win this trade as he does have some tools, just lacking the box with us.
I'm going to call this the steal of the century for the Avs and the biggest blunder in Leafs history.

Until Hunt and Malgin play their first games and both have zero impact and get waived.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Seems like a guy who's top-six or bust. Rooting for him to succeed, love it when older European league players get a new shot at the NHL.
Not top6 or bust as he's quite good defensively. The main problem with Malgin is that he's not effective enough. When you watch him you're always impressed but it somehow doesn't translate into enough points so he always leaves you wanting more. He's surprisingly gritty for the small guy he is but him being small surely didn't help his NHL career so far. I'd say the upside of Malgin compared to Hunt is that he can play both Center and Wing as well as up and down the lineup and he could improve significantly if he can somehow find a way to translate his play into points. He's skilled enough to play with anyone. On the downside, Malgin doesn't fight and you lose a lot of size as well.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like the trade as a potential short term jump start. Malgin gives Colorado a much needed right handed forward and I hope he can provide some scoring pop to the bottom-6. He's more talented than his numbers indicate.

Hunt is a hard working player and was a decent waiver pick up. In some ways he's been the epitome of the Avalanche's bottom-6 forwards this season - both good and bad. With Cogliano-Compher-O'Connor forced into a second line role for an extended period of time, Colorado's bottom-6 has been littered with players who work hard but do zilch offensively. That's Hunt's game in a nutshell.

Reactions: 95snipes

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I know nothing of Malgin but I'm just happy I don't have to see stone hands Dryden Hunt plugging it up on the ice. He makes Marc-Andre Cliche look like Mario Lemieux out there.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Rough scouting report/Situation:

He's a small but okay-skilled guy. You are probably likely to get a skilled person who has good abilities but just hasn't been getting it done. During pre-season and training camp he HUSTLED, so he has the skill and the gear but didn't come back after some changes. It was between him and Nick Robertson but he won mainly because he was waiver catch immediately while Robertson was not.

I am pretty sure he would've been claimed if we put him on the waivers but this is to get something in return while we prepare to bring in Calle Jarnkrok. There was quite a bit of excitement after his performance in the Zurich/Swiss-A league so he has the skill and gear but he seems to be a bit lost so here's hoping he finds it for you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad