Drew Doughty

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
Flap, you say Keith would be picked by most coaches over Doughty for a last minute situation? Heck, Doughty being 18, you probably right, most coaches would take Keith.

However, lets say you had to ask the 30 GMs in the league who would they rather build a franchise around, Doughty or Keith? I garantee the results would be overwhelmingly on the Doughty side.

I hate that this thread started off as a recognition and tribute to a great young talent in Drew Doughty to a *insert a great defensemen* is better then Doughty thread.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Whenever I watch Drew Doughty play, I'm always thinking Denis Potvin Jr. He has outstanding potential, especially when one considers that this is the first year he has actually participated in an off ice conditioning program, and is also eating properly now.

Doughty has an outstanding first year, while Duncan Keith benefited greatly from early seasoning in the AHL, and conversely Doughty was thrown immediately into the NHL fire. There is also the huge age difference between the two, as others have pointed out as well.

Speaking to potential, Doughty could certainly equal or exceed Keith's impact given time. He was drafted 2nd overall versus Keith at 54 if memory serves, so scouts did rate their potential differently during their drafts, though that is really comparing apples to oranges now, especially given their age difference.

I'm a big fan of both players. Keith has exceeded the expectations of some, and I expect Doughty will as well, given time.

parineum

Jun 5, 2009
No you're not. Doughty played from October until December/two months as 18 year old and if the season would have started earlier than it would have been 3-4 months etc etc. Bogosian from January until May. That's a negligible factor, to come up and say things like you did. That was my only point. It's not much or interesting for most of us, but like I already said earlier, it's because you said it.

Dont get annoyed and bring up things I absolutely dont care nor talked about. Pretty lame, but not surprising from you.

Konk's point about the age difference isn't about they're actual age. The difference is, because Doughty is pre-dec. 31 he would move up in hockey leagues a year earlier with the exception of the NHL which doesn't use the same deadline.

Hence, if you look at their junior experience, Doughty has 3 years while Bogosian has 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Doughty#Career_statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Bogosian#Career_statistics

It's not the age difference the scouts are looking at, it's the experience difference.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Konk's point about the age difference isn't about they're actual age. The difference is, because Doughty is pre-dec. 31 he would move up in hockey leagues a year earlier with the exception of the NHL which doesn't use the same deadline.

Hence, if you look at their junior experience, Doughty has 3 years while Bogosian has 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Doughty#Career_statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Bogosian#Career_statistics

It's not the age difference the scouts are looking at, it's the experience difference.
I know what you mean, but that's not what he meant in first instance.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I know what you mean, but that's not what he meant in first instance.
Actually, yes it was. That's the point. To you, they're 6 months apart in age. To scouts, they're a year apart in development.

Everyone else got it except you.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Actually, yes it was. That's the point. To you, they're 6 months apart in age. To scouts, they're a year apart in development.

Everyone else got it except you.
sure buddy. That's what you meant, completely ignoring the fact that there would be a good chance that Bogosian wouldnt have played like that for a whole year either. But that doesnt matter because you will always find any minor argument to make your point, no matter how short-sided it is.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
sure buddy. That's what you meant, completely ignoring the fact that there would be a good chance that Bogosian wouldnt have played like that for a whole year either. But that doesnt matter because you will always find any minor argument to make your point, no matter how short-sided it is.
?

I realize English isn't your first language, but everyone else understood the point (and a couple emphasized/re-iterated it for you) except for you. Doesn't that tell you something?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
?

Stop trying to talk on behalf of everyone. It's pretty silly.
You're the only one crying about my point, everyone else commenting on it reinforced what I said.

Have fun, I'm done wasting my time on you.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Wonderful young defensemen, his hockey sense is absolutely ridiculous for such a young D-man. I feel that Bogosian has a much better skillset, but Doughty is the smarter hockey player, so I'd choose drew.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I just realized that the only reason that Konk likes Bogosian better than Doughty is because Konk is an American, I've seen him in a bunch of the USA threads.

Interesting to note.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just realized that the only reason that Konk likes Bogosian better than Doughty is because Konk is an American, I've seen him in a bunch of the USA threads.

Interesting to note.

I don't even think Konk is American to be honest, and to suggest that nationality is the rationale behind his perspective is pretty bogus and ignores his well-reasoned arguments.

parineum

Jun 5, 2009
You're the only one crying about my point, everyone else commenting on it reinforced what I said.

Have fun, I'm done wasting my time on you.

To be fair, it took a couple of your posts for me to get where you were going. At first, it did seem like your main point was the age difference, not the experience difference.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I don't even think Konk is American to be honest, and to suggest that nationality is the rationale behind his perspective is pretty bogus and ignores his well-reasoned arguments.

He seems to find himself in a lot of the US threads, and a lot less of the Canadian ones.

And also, Canadians do the same things all the time with Canadian players, there is no reason an American is any less likely to do it, its pretty natural. :dunno:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
You're right, I'm not. I do currently live in the US.

He seems to find himself in a lot of the US threads, and a lot less of the Canadian ones.

And also, Canadians do the same things all the time with Canadian players, there is no reason an American is any less likely to do it, its pretty natural. :dunno:
I'm not American, but I do spend a lot of time in Michigan and have a lot of access to NTDP games, so I'm most familiar with NTDP kids and USA Hockey in general. If you actually read my opinions I call it pretty much how I see it, maybe having slight favoritism to kids I've seen play since they were 14-15 in a few cases.

I actually have more of an affinity to Doughty, because I've watched him more than Bogosian (I follow Jack Johnson, followed Patrick O'Sullivan there as well). I do appreciate Bogosian's style more, as he fits my ideal mold for a defenseman a bit better. But my argument is that anyone who thinks Doughty was on another level above Bogosian didn't watch him play last season. He made an impact similar to Doughty in the games he played. He just controlled them in a different manner.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
To be fair, it took a couple of your posts for me to get where you were going. At first, it did seem like your main point was the age difference, not the experience difference.
Fair enough. Maybe I didn't articulate my point well, you did that better than I could. However you did pick up exactly where I was going with it.

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Just curious what everyone thought of him around the league?? I thought he had a great rookie season.. See him as a top 3 D-Man in the NHL very soon..

Wondering what does everyone think of him now and where he will be??

Everyone thinks of Bogosian when they think of Doughty. Took only 12 posts to mention his counterpart. People do not wonder how good Doughty will be. They wonder which will be better?

Doughty really impressed me with the dream shakes he'd put on opposing players. Very crafty, deceptive player. He's a lot of fun to watch. I was watching a youtube vid on Olajuwon and I couldn't help but think of Doughty.

Bogo I think will score more, and play a physically dominate game. I think Bogo will be better in their 20s. But I give the nod to Doughty once they reach their 30s. My hunch is the physical game will recede for Bogo in his 30s, while Doughty's game will finally gain appreciation much like Lidstrom did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad