Drew Doughty, Quinn Hughes, Miro Heiskanen or Alexander Barkov: Who's most to blame?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Doughty, Hughes, Heiskanen or Barkov: Who's most to blame for McDavid breaking the assist record?

• Drew Doughty

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Quinn Hughes

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Miro Heiskanen

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Alexander Barkov

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Nobody is to blame, McDavid is just better than Gretzky!

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • All 4 are to blame! None of them should make the Hall of fame after allowing this to happen!

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Just want to say that the record wouldn't have been broken angainst Pronger, Blake, Stevens and Peca

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So with McDavid breaking Gretzky's single season assist record for the playoffs it's time to ask who's most to blame for it. We can narrow it down to the 4 players who had the most defensive responsibilty on their team and who was mainly given the task to stop McDavid and those players were Drew Doughty for the Kings, Quinn Hughes for the Canucks, Miro Heiskanen for the Stars and Alexander Barkov for the Panthers. These 4 players let McDavid assist on 34 goals without stopping him, breaking Gretzky's record of 32 assists.

Case for it being mostly Doughty's fault: Doughty let in 11 assists playing against McDavid, the most of the 4 players. Doughty is also the oldest of the 4 players.
Case against it being mostly Doughty's fault: It's the first round and scoring is always up in the first round. Doughty had the worst supporting cast of the 4 players so he had to do the most heavy lifting of the 4 guys. Doughty is also the only one of the 4 that strikes fear into his opponents, he's big, hairy, toothless and scary just like a defenseman should be.

Case for it being mostly Quinn Hughes' fault: Hughes won the Norris trophy and was supposed to be the man when it comes to defending, despite that he let in 8 assists against McDavid. He also knew McDavid was super hot, which should've motivated him to be on his A game!
Case against it being mostly Quinn Hughes fault: He plays for the Canucks and McDavid usually destroys the Canucks...

Case for it being mostly Miro Heiskanen's fault: Heiskanen had the best team surrounding him with a fantastic top 9 that should've put an end to McDavid's run. Plus that one goal that McDavid scored, it totally looked like Heiskanen was playing defense against his wife's boyfriend.
Case against it being mostly Miro Heiskanen's fault: Heiskanen did let in only 7 assists which is the fewest of the 4 guys...

Case for it being mostly Alexander Barkov's fault: Barkov knew what was about to happen as McDavid came in with 26 assists to the finals. Barkov also just won the Selke trophy, which means that he's supposed to be the best defensive forward in the league. On top of that Barkov got praised to the moon by Wayne Gretzky, which most knew was a way for Wayne to try and pump up Barkov's confidence so that he could do better against McDavid.
Case against it being mostly Alexander Barkov's fault: Barkov had the weakest number 1 defenseman to help him out as Forsling isn't really in the same league as the other 3 guys. Barkov is also built weak and injury prone:
1725539537533.png

Like you see limited upperbody strenght and look at those twigs that Barkov calls legs. No wonder he couldn't stop McDavid from breaking the assist record...

The real shame here is that all 4 of these guys will make the Hall of fame despite letting something like this happen under their watch. No way McDavid would've broken the assist record if he had to face real men who could play hockey with their elbows like Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, Scott Stevens and Michael Peca.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's the best player in the world all you can do is hope to contain him. None of those players are to blame for anything they are all fantastic in their own right. Not answering the poll because of the stupidity of the question. It's like you're desperately seeking attention on hf so you try to make something as controversial as you can to incite a reaction - almost like poor journalism.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Definitely Barkov, no questions asked. He's a sham of a Selke winner.

McDavid wouldn't have beaten the record if he had faced Crosby in the finals instead. Or Auston Matthews.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't care about the question, I'm just trying to figure out how it would be possible to beat Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, Scott Stevens and Michael Peca. in a single playoff year.

Oh and Scott Stevens hit people with his shoulder not elbow. Guy took like 1 elbowing penalty in his career.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
In the words of Dostoevsky, "There is only one way to salvation, and that is to make yourself responsible for all men's sins."

With that being said, I blame myself.

• Love
Reactions: KingPuckChoo

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I’d take a team of McDavids against a team of Gretzkys any day.

Dude’s just a freak.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
In the words of Dostoevsky, "There is only one way to salvation, and that is to make yourself responsible for all men's sins."

With that being said, I blame myself.

wow, a Dostoevsky quote! 🤯

You're based af my brother, you're my new favorite

I blame Kopitar, Miller, Oettinger, Tkachuk

I blame Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish, arguably, the best GM admin Edmonton has ever had when you think about it

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
These poll options are so friggin dumb. So if you think no one is to blame about an all time great putting up all time great numbers you have to automatically think he's better than Gretzky?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Gretzky at his peak never played more than 21 playoff games, McDavid played 25 this year. That's why. In Gretzky's best assist season he had 31 in 19 games which is a better assist per game, and they won the Cup. Hard to blame Gretzky for not having the record because his team won the cup in a more efficient manner. The NHL also didn't expand to best of 7 in round 1 until 1986/87 (which removes a couple of his Cup years and prime years).

Overall, this is a very ridiculous question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad