Proposal: Draisaitl, Nurse

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Let me start by saying I wish I thought of this before the draft. If you want to say “if it’s picks and not the selection they made” that works. In that same vein, you’d assume they have Geekie still as an offer. I’m just trying to get the gist of a Drai trade

if even the gist is acceptable if worked then what would need to change?

First: the assumption here is Edmonton tried to re sign Drai, and couldn’t get it done. They’re afraid he’ll leave, and teams assume this

Second: people exaggerate the “window closing.” Maybe. I think a youth reset if timed right could avoid catastrophe (losing Drai to free agency) for Edmonton and stay competitive medium term by spreading the spent cap through the roster on younger instead of Draisaitl, McDavid, Bouchard with raises + Nurse

Edmonton doesn’t just need cheap support, but ideally cheap because they’re young and growing not old and “only worth that”
———-
——————————————————-

Edmonton: Darnell Nurse w o retention (useful player, but imo a cap dump net negative) + Draisaitl

Utah: Sean Durzi (RFA puck moving defensemen, RH; last year he might have been top 4 on deep teams but he was thrust into the top pair and performaned admirably enough)

2-3 of Utahs cheap and or fairly paid young players not named Keller or Cooley (we’re assuming Utah is trying to take a step forward, you can take some of, but not literallt all their 3 best forwards)

Multiple high draft picks/ or now prospects who can be kept of flipped.

—————-
———————————

I debated making this “proposal” or value of, it’s my first real try on this board lol.

I think in terms of, like, you don’t always get exactly what the player is worth in these extreme trades. Would you accept a trade along these lines if the alternative is losing Drai in free agency ?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If the offer was Maccelli, Schmaltz and Durzi + picks, Edmonton should definately take it. They would save close to 10M cap and also get very good players for 1 elite + 1 dump.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Not remotely. He's virtually unmovable, which is why I wouldn't include him in a Draisaitl trade that results in diminishing the return. If you have to trade Leon, you do it solo and get the best return possible.
If Drai+Nurse actually would fetch Macelli, Durzi and Schmaltz+pics - You go for it.

Maccelli LW 82gp 17g 40a 57p 23yrs 3.425M RFA 2026

Schmaltz C 79gp 22g 39a 61p 28yrs 5.85M UFA 2026

Durzi D 76gp 9g 32a 41p 25yrs RFA

Theese numbers were in Arizona. I`d bet my house on that their numbers would be a lot better in Edmonton.
Ooh - and with the saving you get from not paying Nurse 9.25M until 2030 and Draisaitl from 2025 forward 13M, You can actually add 1-2 impact-players more.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
If Drai+Nurse actually would fetch Macelli, Durzi and Schmaltz+pics - You go for it.

Theese numbers were in Arizona. I`d bet my house on that their numbers would be a lot better in Edmonton.

lmao

Reactions: capazzo and BLNY

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Yes - we are actually laughing at you if you dont uderstand, that Edmonton`s and Toronto`s route wont bring championships. Just keep your stuff together and in 2yrs, when Nurse get 9.25M, Draisaitl 13-13,5M and McDavid 16M, let`s see how the rest of the team looks?

• Haha
Reactions: bucks_oil

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

They all can't play with McDavid. Edmonton gets a better return if Draisaitl is moved alone. Getting an MVP that would immediately be the face of the organization has to hurt a bit. You have to give up something you're reluctant to.

As much as the Oilers might like to be free of Nurse, it shouldn't be at the expense of max return for Leon. My two cents. Peace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad